Gaming Capture Laptop Screen on Desktop

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello fellow Tempers, haven't really posted in a while.
tpi.gif

So, recently I wanted to start streaming video to Justin.TV (A live stream site) but the only problem I seem to have is when I start playing games during streaming. Since the game I want to stream (Starcraft 2) takes up nearly half my CPU the other half is consumed by the Live Media Encoder I use. Then I thought of the idea of capturing my laptop's screen (while playing) on my desktop which is then used to stream it on justin.tv. However, the only problem is... how could I connect my laptop to my desktop in order to capture my laptop's screen while I play?

I've tried using Remote Desktop programs (along with the software provided by Microsoft on Win 7), but it's really choppy and isn't good for gaming.

Is there any solution to this? Can I use my HDMI to 15 pin cable to connect my Laptop (HDMI) to my desktop (15pin)?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to the input thing.

I am mainly here to mention though that there are LAN intended VNC things that are light on compression (simple lossless stuff is huge compared to high end H264 but far easier on things), higher on resolution and lower on lag/amount of frame drop. Most VNC stuff you see is great for fixing a remote machine or maybe typing something but high throughput is not what they are about. Unfortunately I have not played with such things in some 5 years though and most of the ones I did were more about using a laptop as a third screen.

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
*Snip*

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Mar 19 2011, 07:54 PM) +1 to the input thing.

Could you perhaps go into more detail? I'm not the best when it comes to the hardware aspect of computers.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ditch Live Media Encoder. Use XSplit Broadcaster. It more efficient and lightweight. Also try lowering the settings some on Starcraft.

You can only use your laptops HDMI output on your desktop if you have a HDMI capture card. Those can be rather expensive however. The cheapest I know of those is the AverTV HDDVR for about 100$.

If your laptop has physical output that your desktop already has an input for then use that to capture.

Worst case scenario you could use webcammax to stream.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jargus said:
Ditch Live Media Encoder. Use XSplit Broadcaster. It more efficient and lightweight. Also try lowering the settings some on Starcraft.

You can only use your laptops HDMI output on your desktop if you have a HDMI capture card. Those can be rather expensive however. The cheapest I know of those is the AverTV HDDVR for about 100$.

If your laptop has physical output that your desktop already has an input for then use that to capture.

That card may be expensive, but damn it's...BEAUTIFUL. Well worth the price of admission.

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sir VG said:
jargus said:

That card may be expensive, but damn it's...BEAUTIFUL. Well worth the price of admission.

Thanks, XSplit is much better. I'm getting 20-30 frames, however there is quite a bit of delay. At least its smooth. Also I probably won't be streaming that much, so I don't think that DVR will be much use for me.

Anyways, thanks for all your inputs ^^ (Mod can lock this).

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean delay on your computer or delay to the stream? If the stream is delayed that's normal. You are uploading the to stream server which then processes it and broadcasts it. Usually its not more than 30 seconds.

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jargus said:
Do you mean delay on your computer or delay to the stream? If the stream is delayed that's normal. You are uploading the to stream server which then processes it and broadcasts it. Usually its not more than 30 seconds.

Yep stream, and also my upload speed may contribute to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips