Capcom announces official Resident Evil 2 remake

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Aug 12, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC

2. Digital.One.Entity

Digital.One.Entity Banned

Banned
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Right Here
    Those cowards finally caving in to the pressure of the masses

:bow:

Now where is my Code Veronica Remake ?

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I called it. Rip fan remake.

4. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    What about that fan remake that was being made in the style of Resident Evil 4? I wonder if they will continue making that game now that an official one is being made.

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  5. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    I wouldn't be surprised if this IS the fan remake...

6. FranckKnight

FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2006
    Canada
    Montreal
    It happened in Fan Translations that they were bought out by someone and put into the official release afterwards. I'd say that's a rather flattering event in a way.

But that Capcom did not send them straight up a C&D is surprising, but it's practically assured that they have to do something about it still. If they don't, then they basically relinquish the copyright to the public. But C&D is not the only way to protect their brand. Buying the project off is another way. The brand belongs to them, they choose how to handle it.

Just have to see how they will handle it.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Remake and not Remaster? Amazing, it's one of the most-loved installments. As long as they keep the puzzle elements in, I'm down like a clown.

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    mobile of course!

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would, because Capcom has their own proprietary MT Framework wheras the fan remake used Unreal if I recall correctly - that or Unity.

10. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Where's my Power Stone: HD Collection, Capcom?

11. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    PSP version is about as close as you'll get. Run the game on PPSSPP and you're golden.

12. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Don't know what they were thinking when they made the PSP version as I couldn't play it properly due to the camera but on the PSTV? Oh, it's perfectly fine! :)

13. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    How come so many of these "nextgen" games are remakes? I mean, it seemed like the most hyped thing at Sony's E3 was the FFVII remake, a game I can emulate on a RPi2, sure it won't be the same game and it'll be HD but still, remakes are EVERYWHERE. It seems like half of the 'must buy' games aren't even new games. Worse part is that no one seems to care about anything other than getting their favourite game in HD. And people wonder why big companies aren't putting their money in new IPs. smh

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  14. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    LEL YES!!

FINALLY!!!!

My beloved is finally being remade, please fix the camera and tank controls pls.

15. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    It really is a timeless argument that you just can't get a solid answer on.

People enjoy and clamor for content that they are nostalgic for in all terms f media. Movies get remade, books are re-written, and games get remakes and remasters. There is indeed a market for these things, and if people want it enough, there's no sense in getting upset that there's a desire for it.

And to be fair, there's still plenty of new IP coming about. Look at Scalebound, ReCore, For honor, And a lot of the other cool things to come out of E3 This year. People like to pay attention to the remakes as being the only stringent unoriginal content, that they forget about all the actual new content that's also coming out.

Not to mention, the average person doesn't pirate and emulate things. Just because an illegal option exists doesn't mean everyone will take that option. For a lot of the general public, they're excited to play something that will basically be brand new to them.

And for a lot of other people, this content is new to them as well. Resident Evil 2 is a pretty old game, and remakes like these are awesome ways to grab a new audience for when new content comes out.

16. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Yeah, the "as long as they keep that" clause is pretty long for me. And especially knowing modern capcom it's going to be a painful wait up until the first details come out.

This whole situation reminds me of the FFVII remake and modern Square-enix situation. As in, the good old "remake for the old fans or adaptation for the new fans".

17. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    1.Not denying that (your original non-edited statment) in any way shape or form, just that it seems less and less people care for that new content unless it is GOTY quality (see: bloodborne).

2.I occasionally pirate (*coughXenobladecough*), but over 10 million people own the game legally and it can be bought off of several online stores for like $10 (I'm pretty sure the price is around there).

18. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Yes! This could be interesting... I hope I'll get to play it eventually (meaning: I hope it isn't XBO exclusive) :P
    also..

WE DOIT!

19. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Will it be on gamecube like the RE 1 remake?

20. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina