danbatalha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi.
I'm having some trouble with my Wii U. Recently, every game that I try to download at the eShop doesn't complete the download.

First I tried to download Fatal Frame (or Mario Kart 8, the only games that I bought the digital), the console freezes at 98% and I had to force the console to power off and turn it on again and get a error message saying I turned the console off while it was downloading and corrupted the data. I tried this at least 5 times and it always happens. So I tried to download with the console in stand by, once light turn from orange to red, I turned it on again and get the same message.

Sometime ago, I was told that the downloads on my console coudn't be completed because my Wii U probably has some problem with it's NAND memory and I should try to format the console, but I was told that if I had a NAND problem and format my Wii U I could brick it.

Do you guys think my Wii U is diying or something? My console is all original, I didn't make any kind of mod on its hardware, software or firmware.

danbatalha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a little update.

Since I wasn't able to complete the downloads using the internal storage (32GB Wii U, Deluxe Model), I decided try to use and external drive. I found a 16GB pendrive here, I formated using the Wii U and try to download saving the game on the external drive.

Using the external drive I was able to complete the download of the Mario Kart 8, but while it was installing the game, at 31% the console freezed again and after I reset the console, I got the message that I turned the console off while it was downloading the game.

So it looks like the problem persists using internal or external memory. I'll try to download and install the game on and external drive again, but I think I'll get the same error.

[ONE MORE UPDATE]
It's getting worse :cry:

After trying to install the game on and external drive, I can't get the system to 'stabilize'. I turn it on, and after a minute or less it freezes and I can't opening anything. If i go fast I can open the settings or any other application, but it freezes.

Than I tried to turn the console on without the external drive, it freezes too.

Is there something I can do, like a safe boot like in PS3 and then I could try to reset to factory settings?

Last edited by danbatalha,

danbatalha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a little update.

Since I wasn't able to complete the downloads using the internal storage (32GB Wii U, Deluxe Model), I decided try to use and external drive. I found a 16GB pendrive here, I formated using the Wii U and try to download saving the game on the external drive.

Using the external drive I was able to complete the download of the Mario Kart 8, but while it was installing the game, at 31% the console freezed again and after I reset the console, I got the message that I turned the console off while it was downloading the game.

So it looks like the problem persists using internal or external memory. I'll try to download and install the game on and external drive again, but I think I'll get the same error.

[ONE MORE UPDATE]
It's getting worse :cry:

After trying to install the game on and external drive, I can't get the system to 'stabilize'. I turn it on, and after a minute or less it freezes and I can't opening anything. If i go fast I can open the settings or any other application, but it freezes.

Than I tried to turn the console on without the external drive, it freezes too.

Is there something I can do, like a safe boot like in PS3 and then I could try to reset to factory settings?

[UPDATE]
Since the console was freezing after a minute or less, I was the fast as I could and I was able to format the external drive I was using (pendrive), now it seems the console is not freezing anymore. I think the system was trying to access or check information on the pendrive and since the data corrupted it freezed the system.
Now I'll just wait for my 64GB SD card and backup the NAND before I try to do anything else. Man, I don't wanna loose my Wii U.

danbatalha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First of all, I know no one is replying this post, but I decided to keep posting informations here because it could help someone.

Today I made a backup of my NAND to keep the information safe in case of my Wii U brick. After that I erase all the informations of the console, returning it to factory settings. It didn't brick, everything happened as it should and my Wii U was 'new' again.

Than I had to put all the informations and configurations again, inserted my Nintendo Network informations so I could try again to download any game at the eShop. I download Mario Kart 8 again, and at this very moment it finished the install process. Now it's installing the update (that was already download).

As the update finished, I opened the game (Mario Kart 8) and everything was fine. It looks like formating my console solved the problem with files corrupting when downloaded.

One thing I noticed, is that sometimes it seems that the access of the console memory is taking more time than it should. It took about 20 minutes to install Mario Kart 8, a 4 GB game. And it tooks more time than I can remeber to open the configuration, the download manager, and other system aplications. I don't know, maybe if I try to use an external drive the system will access or install games faster.

Thanks to the ones who read my topic and I hope this helps anyone with the same problem I had.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It sounds like your Wii U will die soon. To get the maximum lifetime that's left I would advertise to not install anything (except the DS game if you're using (CB)Haxchi) to NAND but on a USB drive. This is to reduce writes to NAND to a minimum.

danbatalha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It sounds like your Wii U will die soon. To get the maximum lifetime that's left I would advertise to not install anything (except the DS game if you're using (CB)Haxchi) to NAND but on a USB drive. This is to reduce writes to NAND to a minimum.

That's what I'm doing.Since I don't wanna mod it, since I have my original games, I'll use an external HD and keep the NAND as clean as possible.

After I did the reset to factory settings, the console is working just fine, let's how long can it survive

Reactions: V10lator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...