Cannabis more damaging to under-18s, study suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if it ever were legalized it would be for people over 18 anyway, possibly even 21. So i don't really see how this is an issue.

Its not about legalization, (which the US is far from, might I add). Its about the fact that introducing a stimulant as strong as Marijuana to a body still developing can cause issues with it developing. In other news, the sky is blue and gravity exists.

Useless fact: Weed has not killed a single person, while the government in the US has killed over 300 people for growing it.

Issues with developing, not death. Really big difference. :P

Well if it ever were legalized it would be for people over 18 anyway, possibly even 21. So i don't really see how this is an issue.

Its not about legalization, (which the US is far from, might I add). Its about the fact that introducing a stimulant as strong as Marijuana to a body still developing can cause issues with it developing. In other news, the sky is blue and gravity exists.

As a country its far from legalization, however 3 state vote to legalize this year. Colorado being the big player with a recent poll showing 61% of voters in favor of the legalization: http://www.huffingto..._n_1587405.html

This fact coupled with the fact that Obama ordered feds to stop tracking down individual users would means that it is now a state by state issue and we would likely see Colorado (if the amendment were to pass) Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol. Which lets face it, if either of those two "drugs" (i use that term loosely as alcohol is a drug and cannabis is a plant) should be legal, its absolutely marijuana. How many DUIs do you think occur because of weed vs. alcohol? How about kidney and liver failure? The hypocrisy of what is legal and what isn't is a bit ridiculous.

Right, but also take into account how many individual states pass laws to ban/allow gay marriages or abortions, and yea we're a ways away.

Btw, not to be a downer but if folks really want it legalized they should stop trying to make it state-level law. Federal law trumps state law in most cases, although I can't seem to remember the specific ruling unfortunately. But yea, people need to aim at Federal law, not just state.

EDIT: Found it. https://en.wikipedia...upremacy_Clause

i'm well aware of how it becoming a federal law is what should be aimed for. But like gay marriage, you gotta start at the state levels to slowly gain momentum. Its not a fast thing, but eventually legalization will become a federal issue in terms of being voted on. It started with the legalization of medical marijuana in some states, and now many have legalized that, and now its moving on to full on legalization and regulation in select states.

It should be noted that while the Federal law trumps state law, Obama did pass an act a year or two ago that made the issue one that should be dealt with strictly on a state by state level. Essentially telling the feds to back off because there really are much bigger issues to be concerned about. So, if Colorado were to pass the legalization, you would likely see dispensaries like you do in California, but you wouldn't need a medical marijuana license to be in the dispensary, just a valid ID showing that you are of age.

I will never understand why its illegal while alcohol is legal, I think anyone with a working brain can objectively see which substance is worse for you and those around you when you use. I'm not much a drinker, but I do partake in a smoke from time to time. If its a question of what kills more brain cells, what makes you more likely to hurt yourself or others, what makes you more likely to do something you'll deeply regret, what can lead to you throwing up feeling like shit and curled up in a ball, and what will have long term negative health effects, Well then alcohol is by far and large the worse substance, no questions asked.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, duh.
Why do you think all the stoners are such idiots about it?

No, stoners (speaking from a pot smoker who quit point of view) don't say there's nothing wrong with it. We say that there's nothing wrong with it enough to warrant us to stop. Nothing fatal or anything. There's a huge difference.
Okay, I didn't mean every single one when I said all.
I have met a few who say there are absolutely no problems with smoking weed.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will never understand why its illegal while alcohol is legal,
The main reason is because marijuana can still mess up your driving, but it's harder to test for and give you a ticket for.
You can't just have a pot smoker breathe into a stick and know they were smoking pot.

While this is true, its not as bad for your driving as alcohol, not by a longshot. Still one shouldn't drive under the influence of it, I agree completely and it is something that you can't do an immediate test on. And any drug test wont prove you were high at that moment just that you had been high before, I suppose there really is no good answer as to how they could test you at the wheel. But I do wonder how many accidents occur because of marijuana, I bet its an incredibly small fraction of what the rate is with alcohol.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason is because marijuana can still mess up your driving, but it's harder to test for and give you a ticket for.
You can't just have a pot smoker breathe into a stick and know they were smoking pot.

Eyes are the giveaway.

Still, you can have the bloodshot eyes (if that's the correct symptom, right?) from anything that isn't illegal. Allergies, sleep deprivation (while you shouldn't be driving a car in that state, it's not illegal), etc.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only 8 IQ points.....
8 IQ points separated Einstein and Monroe, y'know. One became a sex symbol and the other a great physicist. They're a lot :D

...So theoretically, we can take a genius of our time like Einstein, get him blazed for a couple of years, and before we know it our leading scientists can be sexy models.

SOMEONE CALL NASA. WE NEED MORE POT.

Reactions: 3 people

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Eyes are the giveaway.

Still, you can have the bloodshot eyes (if that's the correct symptom, right?) from anything that isn't illegal. Allergies, sleep deprivation (while you shouldn't be driving a car in that state, it's not illegal), etc.

Not really bloodshot. It's more of them being hazy, pupils bigger, you not being able to look in one spot, constantly looking around.

But then you're also able to counter all of that by just simply putting in a drop of visine in your eyes.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really bloodshot. It's more of them being hazy, pupils bigger, you not being able to look in one spot, constantly looking around.

But then you're also able to counter all of that by just simply putting in a drop of visine in your eyes.

The constant looking around and stuff can also be given up to nervousness. Some people will just get very nervous if they're stopped by a cop, even if they don't know why.

There's also a large stigma around pot that makes it much harder to legalize. Like when you think of alcohol we don't always think of drunks and alcoholics. Like you see alcohol commercials and it's like successful business men and savvy GQ cover models in trendy bars. They are silly admittedly but that's kinda what has been attached to it. Plus someone who drinks on occasion (or doesn't get drunk) is usually functional after a beer. They drink as a social thing while pot is generally smoked to "get stupid". Like people will usually drink at a social gathering but they won't always drink to get drunk. You smoke pot with the sole intention of getting high, it's a focused event. But I've gotten off track and my point is that "potheads" are usually seen negatively (and rightfully so) while not all drinkers of alcohol are seen that way.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The constant looking around and stuff can also be given up to nervousness. Some people will just get very nervous if they're stopped by a cop, even if they don't know why.

There's also a large stigma around pot that makes it much harder to legalize. Like when you think of alcohol we don't always think of drunks and alcoholics. Like you see alcohol commercials and it's like successful business men and savvy GQ cover models in trendy bars. They are silly admittedly but that's kinda what has been attached to it. Plus someone who drinks on occasion (or doesn't get drunk) is usually functional after a beer. They drink as a social thing while pot is generally smoked to "get stupid". Like people will usually drink at a social gathering but they won't always drink to get drunk. You smoke pot with the sole intention of getting high, it's a focused event. But I've gotten off track and my point is that "potheads" are usually seen negatively (and rightfully so) while not all drinkers of alcohol are seen that way.

Except that's a big misconception, as it's been discussed, people who get high are still able to do everything just fine. Hell I was one of them. I would smoke up in the morning every morning, take a couple bong hits, on the ride to work, smoke a joint with my friend, then when I get to the mill, I operate heavy machinery and everything just fine. I won't lie, the first couple times a person smokes they're going to be stupid. But after that, it just becomes no different than smoking a cigarette.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that's a big misconception, as it's been discussed, people who get high are still able to do everything just fine. Hell I was one of them. I would smoke up in the morning every morning, take a couple bong hits, on the ride to work, smoke a joint with my friend, then when I get to the mill, I operate heavy machinery and everything just fine. I won't lie, the first couple times a person smokes they're going to be stupid. But after that, it just becomes no different than smoking a cigarette.

In all honesty I think the misconception of "I'm able to do everything fine high" is a horrific and disgusting thing to say. That's as bad as saying "I'm able to do everything fine drunk". I really don't care if anyone gets high in their own time in the privacy of their own home. But when it comes to a point where it may affect me, then it becomes an issue. You should never drive a car or operate anything that can harm someone while you're impaired in a way. Period.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

In all honesty I think the misconception of "I'm able to do everything fine high" is a horrific and disgusting thing to say. That's as bad as saying "I'm able to do everything fine drunk". I really don't care if anyone gets high in their own time in the privacy of their own home. But when it comes to a point where it may affect me, then it becomes an issue. You should never drive a car or operate anything that can harm someone while you're impaired in a way. Period.

Again, everybody is taught that smoking weed affects you negatively and that you can't function at all. Also, there's a difference between being drunk and being high. There are people, like me, who were able to smoke and do everything just fine with no negativity at all. I'm not saying it can be done better or shit, but just normal. It all depends on the person and how the weed affects them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright