Hacking Can you use the USB mini card reader with SDHC?

chr0007

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know R4 does not support SDHC but can you still use the USB card reader that came with it for SDHC cards? (would save me from having to buy another card reader for a different flashcart)

Btw which 8gb mini sdhc cards do you all prefer Transcend/Kingston/SanDisk?

Thanks!

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes....but I'm still bemused by your question, as it is common knowledge all flashcarts come packaged with a MicroSD/SD reader. That is, there is never a need to buy one seperately.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it most likely doesnt read SDHC cards
and the fact that its cheaply made will corrupt cards

I suggest getting a real SDHC with a brand
the sandisk one's can be brought pretty cheap from amazon

chr0007

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
Yes....but I'm still bemused by your question, as it is common knowledge all flashcarts come packaged with a MicroSD/SD reader. That is, there is never a need to buy one seperately.

I bought an edge to replace my r4 from a buddy of mine but he's keeping the card reader...so I need to know about the r4 reader....

QUOTE(Joe88 @ Sep 23 2008, 07:18 PM) it most likely doesnt read SDHC cards

Dark knight says it will work Joe88 says no
unsure.gif
have you guys tried it with sdhc so I can be sure about this, that would help me out alot!

Thanks!

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
it most likely doesnt read SDHC cards

Oh yeah, I'm stupid aren't I! Flashcarts come with MicroSD readers only, not MicroSDHC. I've been using my old R4 MicroSD reader for my M3Real now for 2-3 months without any problems whatsoever.
I did, however, have a problem with my MicroSD after using the one that came with the M3Real, so I immediately researched it on here and saw it was a common issue with the M3 reader.

I never knew/thought of the need to have a SDHC specific MicroSD reader.

@chr0007, I would probably heed Joe88's advice as he has more experience & knowledge than myself. As I said, I have been using the R4 MicroSD reader for both my 2GB MicroSD & 4GB MicroSDHC cards without any issues (but now I'm curious).

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
I never knew/thought of the need to have a SDHC specific MicroSD reader.
I would think it would be the same reason that you can't use SDHC in the R4 itself, the hardware isn't capable of reading it. But don't quote me on that.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the N5 comes with a MicroSDHC reader even though the actual cart doesnt read SDHC (thats the only case of reader with SDHC where the cart cant read it where shipping together)

SDHC is hardware based so as many people have already asked/ and replied
firmware updates wont add SDHC capabilities, you get the drift

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Joe88,
I think you may have misunderstood OP's question, but please clarify.
OP: has bought an Edge cart only off a friend (SDHC compliant), but only owns an R4 MicroSD USB Reader.
Is it safe/okay use the same reader to transfer data to/from both MicroSD & MicroSDHC memory cards?

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 8 readers here in front of me...

3 1/2" ???in1 reader in my pc - old, but reads SDHC
Targus USB 2.0 extrernal ???in1 reader - Biglots closeout purchase, reads SDHC
2 Kingston SD MicroSD Adapters - Corrupts SDHC cards (one old, one new)
Adata SD MicroSD Adapter - Doesnt say HC... but works fine (got it with an older 2gb card)
2 T-FLASH adapters - one came with R4-III the other came with the EDGE - Both read SDHC
the stubby one that came with the AK2 - reads SDHC

You can instantly tell if it will corrupt in XP, it will not reconize a disk is in the drive... but still somehow decides to corrupt the card
tongue.gif

Edit: the T-Flash is my favorite if anyone cares
tongue.gif

Edit2: As far as which 8gig... i just got the Adata in, writes at 6.25MB/s reads at roughly12MB/s, so no the fastest on read.. but i hav'nt had issues with the 4gb i've had for a while

A-Data8gbClass6.png

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Well i had an R4 back when they were thought of as good cards but kept the metal usb reader and guess what?!?! it works perfectly with sdhc, i use it with my 4 and 8 gig micro sd's with no problems at all.

paul

tKo HaXoR

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes my R4 usb reader works with SDHC! Had it for the longest and it is in great shape! Got it from the first batch of R4's so it isn't flimsy. Here is a pic --->
USB4GBSDHC.jpg

Edit: This is my favorite of the 4 i own! I have the original R4 usb reader, the iTouch usb reader(Kinda sucks because it has spaces between where you put the SD card and the plastic so sometimes you can slide the SD card in the crack instead of the reader itself), and the T-Flash that came with my N5 and EDGE. The fake R4's and the batch 2 R4's came/come with a cheaper version of the one above and have many bulges where you insert the card.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tKo HaXoR said:
Yes my R4 usb reader works with SDHC! Had it for the longest and it is in great shape! Got it from the first batch of R4's so it isn't flimsy. Here is a pic --->

offtopic: Hey HaXoR, hows that Patriot been to ya? Their PC mem has always been upbeat and i saw those on newegg, so curious
smile.gif

tKo HaXoR

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
its great! It hasn't failed me once! I had traded it to my bro earlier today for another 4GB SDHC CLASS 4 and 2gb regular SD card, but found out it got corrupted every other time I tried to access it so i got my 4GB SDHC Patriot Class 6 back. It is a great card and well worth the 20 dollars! Bought it at fry's on Labor Day because it was on special.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo