Hacking Can you change the language/region of the Wii U Gamepad (legally?)

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I'm just asking this because I recently experimented with a few things, including trying to make my Japanese Wii U GamePad display the Quick Start menu in English.

It works for me, but the way I did it was through... using a certain, certainly less-than-legal app to change the language. As much as I am relieved to get the job done, I really do not want to commit anything illegal or do something that is against the morals (being open source and legal) of the community.

I wonder if anyone has tried something like this before?

xino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Reactions: SylverReZ

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Use the System Config Tool to manually change the region of the gamepad.
And... I feel pretty worried about it, it's certainly not something that the homebrew community in general likes.

I asked this because I don't think I want to involve in using an app that's mostly looked down upon by the community when it can be done perfectly legally
Post automatically merged:

WITH THIS APPLICATION IT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE REGION OF THE CONSOLE?
Uh... no, but there is a way to change the region of the Wii U console itself. https://lazr1026.github.io/regionchange

Reactions: xino

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And... I feel pretty worried about it, it's certainly not something that the homebrew community in general likes.

I asked this because I don't think I want to involve in using an app that's mostly looked down upon by the community when it can be done perfectly legally
That's the only way you could do it unfortunately from what I could tell.

xino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Post automatically merged:

Uh... no, but there is a way to change the region of the Wii U console itself.

ok,
2 things are not clear to me

1. When formatting the console, should it be 100% complete or only until it asks to pair the gamepad?

2. in the coolbot step. I guess it should select the region that I changed? (I do it to the USA, but it marks an error)

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
ok,
2 things are not clear to me

1. When formatting the console, should it be 100% complete or only until it asks to pair the gamepad?

2. in the coolbot step. I guess it should select the region that I changed? (I do it to the USA, but it marks an error)
I forgot to mention this, but you need a device capable of running UDPIH. To put it simply (because I can tell you're not good at English), you can't change the region of your Wii U without a certain tool. You can use a Raspberry Pi Pico, Raspberry Pi Zero, or a Nintendo Switch capable of being hacked; but you cannot change the region without said tool.

xino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I forgot to mention this, but you need a device capable of running UDPIH. To put it simply (because I can tell you're not good at English), you can't change the region of your Wii U without a certain tool. You can use a Raspberry Pi Pico, Raspberry Pi Zero, or a Nintendo Switch capable of being hacked; but you cannot change the region without said tool.
I have all that, I even manage to dump the files using the wupserver. I'm just failing on those steps.

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have all that, I even manage to dump the files using the wupserver. I'm just failing on those steps.
Oh, in that case, you should boot into your old region's System Settings, then connect to the Internet and perform a system update.

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
For gamepad: https://github.com/wiiu-env/drc_region_free_plugin

For the Wii U: https://github.com/wiiu-env/region_free_plugin - titles who don't support this can't be changed without pirating copyrighted languages files. Don't forget that everything is a title on the Wii U.

That said: Aroma is the future for out-of-region use.
My sincere apologies, but you are completely missing my point; What I mean was to change the language of the Wii U GamePad (a.k.a. the language of the Quick Start menu, the TV applet, etc.), not to pair an out-of-region GamePad or to play out-of-region games.

Reactions: xino

xino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Oh, in that case, you should boot into your old region's System Settings, then connect to the Internet and perform a system update.

The console is updated to version 5.5.5J

These steps are cumbersome and maybe that's where I'm failing.

Do I have to do the full format?
Or do you have to stop until when it asks to pair the gamepad and then proceed with the other steps in the guide?

1. Format your console. Yes this is required. I'll explain why later (scroll down).
  2. Pair a gamepad and then shut down.

And this last step, I must select the region that I have changed assuming that I have gone from the JAP region to the USA. (gives me a red error message)
  1. Press a button on the wiiu to shut down wupserver and go to Set Coldboot Title.
  2. Set the System Settings for your region as the default title.

1vb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The console is updated to version 5.5.5J

These steps are cumbersome and maybe that's where I'm failing.

Do I have to do the full format?
Or do you have to stop until when it asks to pair the gamepad and then proceed with the other steps in the guide?

1. Format your console. Yes this is required. I'll explain why later (scroll down).
  2. Pair a gamepad and then shut down.

And this last step, I must select the region that I have changed assuming that I have gone from the JAP region to the USA. (gives me a red error message)
  1. Press a button on the wiiu to shut down wupserver and go to Set Coldboot Title.
  2. Set the System Settings for your region as the default title.
My apologies for the untimely response, but I really cannot help you much on that end. If you need assistance, I highly recommend you to join Lazr's Discord server, or contact her on GBATemp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated