ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that newer wiis cant run them. Anyone have an idea if this one can?

Serial number: LU35499541
The Wii has a RVL-001(USA) model number and is produced for Canada/Mexico/USA.
The copyright year is 2006

There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E
.And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip
.Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).

ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I tried I wouldn't be asking. x.x

I softmodded my wii last night, as well as ordered 50 discs. So, while Im waiting for them to arrive, I'm trying to find out if it will work.

Reactions: 1 person

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're able to run DVD movies in WiiMC, then your Wii should be able to run disc backups. It should also be noted, however, that USB loading is the recommended way to play Wii backups.

ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have been trying to do USB loading, but I can't get the games to be detected (No clue what I am doing. Have only tried with GC games, and not Wii yet.). I'm new to softmodded wii, so this is a difficult process to get it working for me. Soft modding it alone and getting the ciOS to work took me about 4 hours.

I will download WiiMC and try running a dvd.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't already done so, I recommend you use ModMii for your softmodding needs and install the recommended cIOS files. If you have a USB device, I recommend you use Wii Backup Manager to transfer your backups to your USB device and just use Configurable USB Loader for your backup-running needs.

ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have already gotten my Wii softmodded and working correctly with all of the cIOS (took several tries). I also have WBM and it hasn't been able to transfer GC games over to the USB device, it just gives an error when trying to add the GC .iso into WBM.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have already gotten my Wii softmodded and working correctly with all of the cIOS (took several tries). I also have WBM and it hasn't been able to transfer GC games over to the USB device, it just gives an error when trying to add the GC .iso into WBM.
Wii Backup Manager, the last time I checked, does not support GameCube games (GameCube USB loading is still rather new). I recommend you use something like DiscEX for those. You also need to have installed DIOS MIOS for GameCube USB loading.

ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiMC has successfully run Resident Evil and is playing now, so I assume that means burnt discs will run fine.

I have installed DIOS MIOS Lite with the wad provided on some thread. It says it installed successfully and didn't give me anything new in the HBC (I'm assuming it was just some data that was installed?) I then tried to run Wind Waker's .iso with some SD loading app. It just gave me a black screen, the WiiMote turned off, and then it eventually went back to the HBC screen.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have installed DIOS MIOS Lite with the wad provided on some thread. It says it installed successfully and didn't give me anything new in the HBC (I'm assuming it was just some data that was installed?) I then tried to run Wind Waker's .iso with some SD loading app. It just gave me a black screen, the WiiMote turned off, and then it eventually went back to the HBC screen.
DIOS MIOS Lite is for running GameCube backups from the SD card. You need to install DIOS MIOS to run GameCube backups from USB.

http://gbatemp.net/t...-dios-mios-lite

Is there any difference in game performance in USB and CD loading?
Loading times are improved with USB loading. USB loading is also more convenient, preserves your Wii's disc laser, and prevents compatibility issues you might otherwise have resulting from problems with the discs, how the disc was burnt, etc.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its your cios's
get the latest from modmii (run syscheck you can download it on download page2 on on modmii. then once you run it drag and drop the syscheck.cvz(whatever) file onto your modmii.exe or whatever and it will download all the cios u need and generate a guide.

ChanceOradat

Rewster
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The discs got here and I have been able to make backups of my games. Now i don't need to worry about having to buy more copies of a game (I have had my XBox's laser scratch a huge circle into 3 discs, ruining them. Don't want to have to experience that again.) Thanks for everyone helping me up to now, even though I couldn't get SD loading to work.

KaitouKid1412

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
All three of those chipsets should be able to.
I'm buying a second hand wii, so can it run burned disc?
Serial number: LU63374253
  • There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E.
  • And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D4 on a smaller drive board.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that was an old thread, but it's related.

Well, Just try? But nobody use burned disc anymore, everything is stored to SD or usb, both wii and gamecube can be played with game loaders.
at least, the burned disc can be used to put the game to usb, then you don't use it anymore.

if you still really want to play from disc, know that read speed is halved, (3x instead of 6x, some video might stutter), and you'll need specific system file modification to read them.
you can also read disc from gameloader (less intrusive system modification)
or just do like everyone else and use disc dumps on USB.

Reactions: Lacius

Hardy_Heron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Altf4.cl
XP
Country
Chile
that was an old thread, but it's related.

Well, Just try? But nobody use burned disc anymore, everything is stored to SD or usb, both wii and gamecube can be played with game loaders.
at least, the burned disc can be used to put the game to usb, then you don't use it anymore.

if you still really want to play from disc, know that read speed is halved, (3x instead of 6x, some video might stutter), and you'll need specific system file modification to read them.
you can also read disc from gameloader (less intrusive system modification)
or just do like everyone else and use disc dumps on USB.

I think the same. In my opinion it is less advisable to keep a large number of games on DVD which can be damaged. You can keep the games digitally in an SD or on an external hard drive.
It is in my opinioin something inofficious.
The most accessible option is to install the Homebrew and use a backup launcher via USB

Last edited by Hardy_Heron,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head