ROM Hack Can I rip the music from Chrono Trigger...

Garo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the OST on isohunt, but it's the SNES version which is different, and I prefer the DS songs.

Is there a solid way to do it?

I dslazy'd the ROM and found some sound file and have looked at a couple threads, but is there a tool to unpack this .sdat file and safely convert stuff to unharmed MP3s?

And what's the worst that could happen if I took the sound file from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and put it into Phoenix Wright: Justice for All? They essentially use songs similarly, but I can imagine certain banging sounds and such being different.
Would my game freeze or play them normally?

I don't know what hex editing is, I do know how to patch and use homebrew. That's where I stand for this.

Could I replace songs from a game without things going crazy?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Straight to MP3 no but wave and midi are not exactly hard to convert.
Tools to do the job:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=127442

Replacing sounds through games.
Worst case scenario is it crashes but this is usually due to ndstool (which DSlazy and DSBuff use), next up is wrong sounds; back when NOR based carts were still used for the DS we used to replace sounds to get the size down and odd sounds would play instead (I recall the gunshot from goldeneye when I jumped in Castlevania).
Read this thread as it applies, note you will need to use a hex editor but it is not likely to be that difficult:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=122534

Garo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the ndsndext thing and it gave me three folders, sequence, stream, and wavesample. I checked a lot of the files, all of them are just random single sounds no more than 2 seconds in length. I recognize some of them as parts of songs, is every song assembled in the DS every time?

I don't get what to do after this, I checked the kiwi thing but it doesn't make any sense to me. How do I convert the sounds into playable tracks?

EDIT: I just used VGMtrans, and it looks like it gives a better deal, I can save the BGM as MIDIs, but when I play them, they're all messed up. The best track sounds like some kind of bad remix. XD

Did I do something wrong, or is there a fix for this effect?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2