Can I play .exe files on my wii somehow?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hack3r, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hack3r
    OP

hack3r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2009
    United States
    Title is pretty self explanatory and any help is appreciated. Would I be able to accomplish this with wii - linux? Something else?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    No.

CheatFreak47 likes this.
  3. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    Nope. It's kinda like "Can I use my VHS deck to play this PS4 game"

4. Boy12
    This message by Boy12 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Nov 8, 2013, Reason: Trolling -rp.
    Nov 8, 2013
  5. Billy Zejnoski

Billy Zejnoski Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2013
    Albion Park, New South Wales, Australia
    Possibly on linux, with the use of wine, just google "WineHQ". Although i haven't used linux in a while nor have I ever used linux on Wii or vWii, so I can't make any guarantees, but it's your best shot.

6. Siras

Siras Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2013
    Since .exe files are for MS operating systems i guess your best shot would be to run DOSBox and from there run the .exe file. Ofc it all depends what program it is.

Count Duckula likes this.
  7. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    That would run only REALLY old .exe stuff, made before 1995-1996. I'm pretty sure OP doesn't mean to run stuff that old.

WINE's name gives it away - "WINE is not an Emulator". It only works on x86 platform since it doesn't emulate anything, it makes according "wrapping" around the calls. I'm sure there was a PPC version somewhere, but it did have abysmal performance and compatibility, compared to the main x86 branch.

@OP
    tl;dr: NOPE, you can't run them. And it won't EVER be possible.

EDIT: Whoops

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    What Siras said.
    If its an older DOS game/app you want to run then certainly give dosbox a shot. You're not going to be able to run anything modern though.

There's really no need for people to post condescending replies, especially when what is being queried is possible (with constraints obviously, it's a wii after all).

9. hack3r
    OP

hack3r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. The game I was hoping to play is Yume_Nikki and I don't believe it's too old, though it doesn't seem to be very graphic-intensive or complex of a program either if that means anything. Guess I'll try out DOSBox, thanks.

10. Chireidonuts

Chireidonuts Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2013
    United States
    Luckily for you, Yume Nikki is an RPG Maker game. Have you tried EasyRPG Player? It was only released on Wii last month, but I can guarantee DOSbox won't work and Wine in Linux is more trouble than it's worth.

11. AwesomeMarioFan

AwesomeMarioFan RiiConnect24 Dev

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    Executable files are used only by the Windows operating system, .app/.sh files are for Mac, and .sh files are for Linux.
    The only way I could see this working on the Wii would be getting Easy Wii Linux running on it and using Wine (Windows Machine Emulator) to emulate the executable file in question. (The application may even have a Linux counterpart.)

Edit: You are able to start up Windows 3/95/98 (And Possible 2000/ME) in DOSBox, however even if it somehow worked it would not run very fast since those emulators run slow on the Wii.

12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Wine is not a Windows emulator.

13. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    They are also used by DOS (and were used by DOS long before Windows even existed).

14. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    No chance for Wine to run 386.exe files on a non 386 hardware platform (Wine is not a emulator).

15. AwesomeMarioFan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    Yes, however in those days some files were also .com as well as .exe.
    I researched a bit about Wine, since I myself never really had a use for it, and I realized that it only translates calls over.
    Agreed, the Wii is too slow to handle any .exe files, especially since they were not mean't to run on it.

I think that pretty much sums up this thread.

16. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    You don't understand. Because Wine is not an emulator, it can only run programs that are compiled for the same machine (same CPU).

17. AwesomeMarioFan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    In my previous post I wasn't referring to it being an emulator. I was saying that even if there was a way to get them to run with Wine, they would be running on the Wii's hardware, so it would be limited to the capabilities of the Wii itself, which is not great. (Even though it isn't possible for it to run anyway because Wine was only for x86 platforms.)

18. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I'm 99% sure Linux executables have no extension; .sh files are scripts, similar to .bat. Also, OSX uses .sh.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Yeah you can make any file executable on Linux, extension or not.

Woo misinformation.

calmwaters likes this.
  20. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yes, you just have to convert them to wbfs format ;) (I think)

21. AwesomeMarioFan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    Yep, was just referring to how you can create executable .sh files on Linux. No extension will work just as well. (Edit: I edited in the Mac information above in my previous post. I don't own a Mac and honestly do not like them, so I do not know much information about their file extensions other than they use .app.)
    I'm going to be completely honest here, everytime I've seen a post from you, it's insulting one of mine or liking a post that was against mine. I never stated in any way in my post above that Linux was limited to the extension of .sh, yet people jump to conclusions. Why don't you post something useful for once, instead of "Woo misinformation," and consider the post before you jump to a response instead of harassing people who want to do useful things for the community?
    WBFS is actually a game format used on the Wii, and has nothing to do with .exe files.