Hacking Can I Go Back To 3.4U and Still Read Backups?

kpoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I had followed a 3-part guide on YouTube that had me do the following, since I had the 3.4U firmware:

1. Install Homebrew using the Twilight Hack
2. Download and place these files on my SD card: cios_fix.wad, IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad, and WAD MANAGER V3.wad.
3. Install the IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad file through Homebrew
4. Install the cios_fix.wad file through Homebrew
5. Run the IOS downgrader through Homebrew
6. Install Shop IOS51 through Homebrew
7. Install WAD MANAGER V3.wad through Homebrew via the Wad Manager
8. Downgrade my firmware from 3.4U to 3.2U through Homebrew.

Every install went great. However, in reading other guides, I now realize that I did not have to downgrade my system to 3.2U. I have yet to test a backup disc on my Wii (no LG drive yet) so I went ahead and placed my ORIGINAL SmashBrothers disc in the Wii to see what happens and it, of course, wants me to update my firmware. Here are my questions:

Should I go ahead with the update? If I do update, will my Wii still be able to play backed up games?
Does upgrading back to 3.4U change the IOS again?
Thanks in advance for your help.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With starfall you can disable the update check.
smile.gif

iResilient

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you cannot play back-ups on 3.4U. I think back-ups can only work with 3.2U. Just install Preloader or Starfall, Starfall (it's easier to use in some aspect) if you want to just disable disc updates and the disc should work just fine.

kpoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. So do I just place the Starfall folder under the APPS folder of my SD card and run it through Hombrew? Is there a guide on this? One website (Wiibrew) indicates that Starfall could potentially brick my Wii since it patches to the system menu.....hope I know what I'm doing!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ResilientNight said:
No, you cannot play back-ups on 3.4U. I think back-ups can only work with 3.2U. Just install Preloader or Starfall, Starfall (it's easier to use in some aspect) if you want to just disable disc updates and the disc should work just fine.

Not true. You can play backup on 3.4u.. Because I had 3.3u and I can run backup games just fine but I downgrade to 3.2u anyway.
smile.gif

EDIT: for 3.4U

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=126...p;#entry1673409

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The 3.4 menu itself is not the issue, it's that it comes with patching-updates to every IOS module. If you install the menu as a WAD + a patched IOS50 (Needed to run the menu), you would be fine.

kpoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, nevermind about 3.4U. I have 3.2U and want to prevent discs from updating my system as well as play them too. Is Starfall the best answer? Thanks.

elvis24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run back ups on 3.4 fine.
It is recomended to use 3.2 with either starfall or preloader as this provides a lot of protection for bricks etc... My wii was 3.4 I downgraded and have run back up loader, softchip and now the softmii pack. I also have the safe shop channel update provided on here by users like tona. You can have most off if not all of the features of 3.4 by using these safe updates. Just read thru some of the guides on the forum and find the one that suits you best and follow it. you will have no problems.
If you do use preloader or starfall be sure to ensure you enable skip disc update so you can play games with updates on

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Haruhi said:
I'm not exactly sure what steps are needed to run backups in 3.4U, but I can confirm Gamma and the GC loader work. Don't know about the disc channel or SoftChip.

Gamma and SoftChip only require you to have the cIOS installed as IOS249, which firmware you are at doesn't matter for them. And the GC loader requires the cIOS and the cMIOS to be installed and doesn't care about the firmware too. To get backups from the disc channel, the IOS used by the disc channel has to have backup support, which means, when you are at 3.2 you need a cIOS installed as IOS30, and then your backups are recongized in the disc channel. However when you launch the game then from the disc channel, the disc channel loads the IOS at the IOS slot the game wants. For example for a Wii Sports backup, the disc channel would load the IOS located at IOS slot 9, if you have a cIOS installed there, it works. Or if you have IOS Version patched a game to IOS249, it will work too, with only cIOS installed as IOS30 and IOS249 and the rest in whatever state.

PS: Trying to create a cIOS30 on your own, or modifying a cIOS installer to install to IOS30, is a bad idea, some people bricked their Wii with this. If you really really want this, get the cIOS from cioscorp. Note that before you install cioscorp, or cIOS30 of it, you NEED to be at 3.2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Dem 🥜 s +1