Can GBAtemp become a games company if it wanted to?

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (or maybe EoF?) but here goes:

If GBAtemp pooled its resources and assets such as the hackers, artists, programmers & whatnot, do you guys think a GBAtemp can pull it off?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
You mean an official one for a legit console, gathering enough money and resources are required for the licence and hardware etc? I would think that most big name console makers would refuse a licence to a company who coders/artists etc are 90% pirates.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't really have to be a console, just a game that's really well done - maybe even be AAA tier type of game. I'm not asking that it should be made, but simply if it's possible.
I do appreciate the little games Tempers contribute now and then, but then what if - what if all these contributing tempers got together and did something big - for fun, for the heck of it. I'm just wondering what kind of game it would be.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be pretty strange. The moderators would have to look through all the code and art submissions and accept/reject them. Mostly to keep monkat and the like from taking a picture of their dong. (Though that would be a hilarious boss battle, we're trying to stay PG-13.)

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose best platform for that, if you wanted i official and everything, would be PC. But i like the idea, just can't imagine it happening unfortunately....

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont see that happening, not because the Tempers can't do it but because none will license the game why? because GBATemp is a Homebrew with Hacking Community and none will license a Game that come from a Community like this even if its a badass game.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Setting aside RPGtemp, what do you think would be game's genre if it were actually made? Do you think it'd still be an RPG, or something else entirely? Personally, I'm kind of hoping it'd be a hybrid of sorts - something that isn't usually paired up but works really well when mashed. Kinda like what SEGA did with Valkyria Chronicles.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
MakiManPR said:
I dont see that happening, not because the Tempers can't do it but because none will license the game why? because GBATemp is a Homebrew with Hacking Community and none will license a Game that come from a Community like this even if its a badass game.
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

I don't think Valve would care where your team comes from, as long as it gets them money.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
It would obviously be the most MANLY fu*king game in existence and feature a cameo appearance of Kamina.
Speaking of which, WHY AREN'T YOU WEARING YOUR KAMINA GLASSES?!

Ontopic:
There should be a collection of hackers and programmers to work on a GBATemp game, in my opinion. I mean, just look at the Homebrew Bounty contributions, and you'll see how devoted programmers can be. The only part that really never works is that when the programmers really want feedback, they usually get very negative feedback. This guy who made a NDS homebrew called MOSDS got flamed because the graphics weren't nice. Then he discontinued it.This very forum attracts and repels coders. If a game was made, it'd be made without the forums input.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
spinal_cord said:
You mean an official one for a legit console, gathering enough money and resources are required for the licence and hardware etc? I would think that most big name console makers would refuse a licence to a company who coders/artists etc are 90% pirates.
+1
I think if the temp is going to do this, it would have to be homebrew only and thus not really a company.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ANYONE can become a game company or developer. The problem would be releasing the games. If it's on a closed platform like game consoles, then most likely not.
To make a game for consoles you need the SDK (Software Developers Kit).
To get the SDK you need to be an approved developer for that console.
To become an approved developer you need to have published something significant before.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the skill, most people here could make a... decent game.

If they were given things like developer kits and SDKs, I'm sure that they could do much better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: l8er guys ..................... 🚪
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Later too...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn @Xdqwerty chasing off users like a Juan
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Welcome to the internet! Lol
    +1
    He just means that some conversations are light and funny, Madonna having sex with a dog? Hilarious! Your uncle beating your dog then making you watch him molest it? Kinda ehhhh drama lol
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do people hate seasons 20 and 23 of south park?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know. People hate and down vote everything nowdays. I see it especially on gamestores, like every game has a negative rating, even though they are good games.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    With south park, they speak the truth, whether people like it or not, then peeps get they're panties in a bunch.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    See ya later fr
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Later gator
    +2
  • G @ GamerGatorDoesTech:
    @BigOnYa i thought that was like a specific comment towards me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    lol later gator that was good one @BigOnYa
    +1
  • Shgofc @ Shgofc:
    if i think i exist, then, i dont exi...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They started hating later seasons because it turned into half seasons and specials
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People in youtube comments are such dick riders "oh I can't believe he said that to you" clicks on other video "wow this is amazing."
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everyone is triggered nowadays too easy, bunch of pansies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    1st video- That's why I hate ordering stuff online, if I can just go pick it up myself nearby. Wal-Mart online did that to me years ago, sent wrong item, I went to Wal-Mart by me to return, but noo, I had to mail it back and wait.
    99% of the time ordering online I have had flawless experiences, only time something was messed up, I ordered a big TV from Amazon and it came smashed the box was literally like some one jumped up and down on it, didn't even open it, contacted Amazon sent them pictures, they made me open it and take more pictures, free label to return it and they sent another. So it was relatively painless. But still annoying.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did it just because I don't like you
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I did it just because I don't like you