Hacking Can anyone provide me a CFW comparison?

Professional Shitposter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know the main ones are rxTools, CakesFW, and Reinand.

I'm on rxTools right now but I've read from some pastebin that Cakes is better; and I don't know anything about Reinand.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cakes: Not region free (it even wrapped my out of region cia's, how rude!)
From what I heard, it has a higher boot success rate.

Rxtools: Nightly from Dec 5th is region free on N3DS

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
rxTools has a whole bunch of extra features like decrypting ROMs and stuff that Cakes and Reinand don't have (and don't need, really). Think of it like a CFW with Decrypt9 built in, sort of. Cakes and Reinand take the minimalism route, offering pretty much only a CFW/emuNAND with signatures patched (Reinand has a couple other things like a screenshot function, but it's not that important).

If you just want a CFW to run homebrew on or pirate games just get Cakes/Reinand. If you need a bunch of extra features then get rxTools.

Cakes/Reinand aren't region free by default, but you can use NTR CFW (a CIA you just run on top of Cakes/Rei) to get that.

Reactions: MattKimura

Professional Shitposter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cakes: Not region free (it even wrapped my out of region cia's, how rude!)

Rxtools: Nightly from Dec 5th is region free on N3DS
I've read that you can circumvent that by using NTR. Even though it's a bit incovenient, after you've done that, is there another advantage?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

rxTools has a whole bunch of extra features like decrypting ROMs and stuff that Cakes and Reinand don't have (and don't need, really). Think of it like a CFW with Decrypt9 built in, sort of. Cakes and Reinand take the minimalism route, offering pretty much only a CFW/emuNAND with signatures patched (Reinand has a couple other things like a screenshot function, but it's not that important).

If you just want a CFW to run homebrew on or pirate games just get Cakes/Reinand. If you need a bunch of extra features then get rxTools.

Cakes/Reinand aren't region free by default, but you can use NTR CFW (a CIA you just run on top of Cakes/Rei) to get that.
Hmm, screenshots on Reinand sounds interesting but meh, I think I'll stick with rxTools, I'll probably use the actual tools one day.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's also Pasta/minipasta, but that has no emuNAND, and instead boots into a sysNAND CFW (all it provides is signature patching). I mention this one only for completion's sake. I strongly recommend using an emuNAND.

Hmm, screenshots on Reinand sounds interesting but meh, I think I'll stick with rxTools, I'll probably use the actual tools one day.

Could always just keep Decrypt9 handy, but I can see why you might like having the all-in-one. I myself just tend to prefer tools to be separate from the actual CFW.

Last edited by daxtsu,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Rxtools: Community's Choice, Integrated Decryption tools, Emunand Support, Region Free support.
CakesCFW: Best boot rate, Integrated patches and plugins system, Emunand Support, Easier to setup.
Reinand: (Very) Lightweight Emunand Support
Pasta/miniPasta: Signature checks patched, no firmlaunch, needed for updating/downgrading your system

Is this ok?
You can add plugins support to RxTools with NTR if you have n3ds and you can add decryption support to CakesCFW with Decrypt9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol