Can anyone provide me a CFW comparison?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 730, Jan 8, 2016.

1. 730
    OP

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    I know the main ones are rxTools, CakesFW, and Reinand.

I'm on rxTools right now but I've read from some pastebin that Cakes is better; and I don't know anything about Reinand.

2. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Cakes: Not region free (it even wrapped my out of region cia's, how rude!)
    From what I heard, it has a higher boot success rate.

Rxtools: Nightly from Dec 5th is region free on N3DS

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    rxTools has a whole bunch of extra features like decrypting ROMs and stuff that Cakes and Reinand don't have (and don't need, really). Think of it like a CFW with Decrypt9 built in, sort of. Cakes and Reinand take the minimalism route, offering pretty much only a CFW/emuNAND with signatures patched (Reinand has a couple other things like a screenshot function, but it's not that important).

If you just want a CFW to run homebrew on or pirate games just get Cakes/Reinand. If you need a bunch of extra features then get rxTools.

Cakes/Reinand aren't region free by default, but you can use NTR CFW (a CIA you just run on top of Cakes/Rei) to get that.

MattKimura likes this.
  4. 730
    OP

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    I've read that you can circumvent that by using NTR. Even though it's a bit incovenient, after you've done that, is there another advantage?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hmm, screenshots on Reinand sounds interesting but meh, I think I'll stick with rxTools, I'll probably use the actual tools one day.

5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    There's also Pasta/minipasta, but that has no emuNAND, and instead boots into a sysNAND CFW (all it provides is signature patching). I mention this one only for completion's sake. I strongly recommend using an emuNAND.

Could always just keep Decrypt9 handy, but I can see why you might like having the all-in-one. I myself just tend to prefer tools to be separate from the actual CFW.

Last edited by daxtsu, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Rxtools: Community's Choice, Integrated Decryption tools, Emunand Support, Region Free support.
    CakesCFW: Best boot rate, Integrated patches and plugins system, Emunand Support, Easier to setup.
    Reinand: (Very) Lightweight Emunand Support
    Pasta/miniPasta: Signature checks patched, no firmlaunch, needed for updating/downgrading your system

Is this ok?
    You can add plugins support to RxTools with NTR if you have n3ds and you can add decryption support to CakesCFW with Decrypt9

7. djalmafreestyler

djalmafreestyler GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 31, 2011
    Brazil