Burning a DVD (MP4) to use it on the PS5 (Help)

Justin20020

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,

I want to burn some videos (mp4) on a DVD+R disc. Im using the Windows Burn-Assisstent. Because CDBurnerXP recognize my Burning-device but it wont burn the data on the disc.

I'm using my atapi ihas124 b as my burning-device.

On windows, I can using the Disc and play the MP4 video without any problems. But my PS5 cant recognize the Disc. What am I doing wrong here?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Hello,

I want to burn some videos (mp4) on a DVD+R disc. Im using the Windows Burn-Assisstent. Because CDBurnerXP recognize my Burning-device but it wont burn the data on the disc.

On windows, I can using the Disc and play the MP4 video without any problems. But my PS5 cant recognize the Disc. What am I doing wrong here?
You maybe need to convert to the correct DVD format (VOB/BUP/IFO etc) with a menu system. The DVD standard is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

There's lots of free tools you can use to convert mp4 to a DVD compatible format to play in DVD players.

Reactions: Justin20020

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Well, the best software I have used is ConvertXtoDvd which isn't free. You could try Sony's own software called PlayMemories. That will take your MP4 file and convert it to an AVCHD DVD disc.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/app/playmemorieshome/en/help/win/disc.html

You could also remux it to an mkv file using ffmpeg's stream copy mode as you might find that gives you a few more free options when it comes to software to author/burn the discs.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65525078/does-converting-mp4-to-mkv-change-data-fidelity

Last edited by ILuvGames,
Reactions: SylverReZ

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

It probably needs to be in DVD video format. Take note that DVDs are not in HD. If you want HD (and you probably do), you need to use bluray.
But why not put the videos on a USB drive? The PS5 can play mp4 and mkv files from USB (audio needs to be AAC)

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It probably needs to be in DVD video format. Take note that DVDs are not in HD. If you want HD (and you probably do), you need to use bluray.
But why not put the videos on a USB drive? The PS5 can play mp4 and mkv files from USB (audio needs to be AAC)
You shouldn't need to use blu-ray discs to be able to burn and play high definition content on a blu-ray drive. That's why I suggested using the AVCHD method as it gives a dvd disc the same structure as a blu-ray disc. The only limitations I remember were DVD size, audio format and maybe resolutions beyond 1080p/i which I didn't try. I've done this quite a few times (but a long time ago) with mkv2vob which can also make AVCHD compatible USB's as well.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You shouldn't need to use blu-ray discs to be able to burn and play high definition content on a blu-ray drive. That's why I suggested using the AVCHD method as it gives a dvd disc the same structure as a blu-ray disc. The only limitations I remember were DVD size, audio format and maybe resolutions beyond 1080p/i which I didn't try. I've done this quite a few times (but a long time ago) with mkv2vob which can also make AVCHD compatible USB's as well.
Yes, technically you can use bluray format on DVD medium (or DVD format on CD medium, for that matter), but the size limitation is the issue.
When I tried DVD-on-CD back in the day, it couldn't fit more than like 15 minutes of video. Won't be putting any full movies or even single episodes of TV shows onto that.
Bluray AVCHD might be more forgiving in that regard since MPEG-2 is a terrible codec. Still, won't be able to get a 1080p movie in good quality to fit in 4.7 GB, maybe on a dual layer DVD, but those are not really worth the cost, especially when USB is an option.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You're probably just putting the mp4 files as-is on the DVD. Then your DVD is just a data DVD.
PC's don't have any trouble with that and most media players can directly play mp4 files.
The PS5 expects a DVD-Video which is not just putting files on the DVD.
You need 'auhtoring' of the video files,, which converts the mp4 into the mpeg format of of the DVD-Video.
Afaik, Windows doesn't have a build in program that can author video files so you will need some additional program for that.

Here are some open source suggestions but I don't know if they are really free.
https://dvdcreator.wondershare.com/video-to-dvd/open-source-dvd-authoring-software.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto