Hardware Building a PC

Pokecix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I finially decided to get rid of my 5 year old pc :lol:

I was thinking of getting an alienware for few months since if i try to build a pc at my country it will cost more than a strong alienware.

But however, i would like to learn how a self built will look.

But there is a problem. I dont know how to build a good pc. I only know about GPU and CPU.

I will be using this PC for gaming and a little bit photo editing and surfing.

Excuse my English :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Price limit is 2000 dollars

Im looking for something that can stand for 3-4 years.

Pokecix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to bump so soon, this is a slow forum.

Price limit?

What sort of games?

Well sorry but i have to be quick since i need it in 2 weeks :P

Price limit is 2000

Games that require high graphics like Crysis 3 , battlefield etc.

Pokecix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SLI 780s (or SLI anything) is more horrible in my opinion for the micro stuttering. Anyway, I'll make a more serious build post when I'm at home (lunch break on my phone isn't ideal for extensive advice giving).

Well GTX titan looks so expensive but im not an expert :P

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you looking at 1080p gaming? A GTX Titan is a waste of money at that resolution. Get GTX 690. The only thing you loose is that 6GB frame buffer, which you don't need at 1080p.

Go for this build:

Core i7 3770K
H100 water cooler
Nvidia GTX 690
ASUS Sabretooth X79 motherboard
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Overclock the CPU to 4.5 GHz, and you'll be running Crysis 3 maxed out.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Well GTX titan looks so expensive but im not an expert :P

It looks so expensive because it's the most powerful single-GPU graphics card on the market. That said, the GTX 770 and 780 are not far behind, and are much more affordable.

CPU... so for purely gaming, you want a good Core i5 (not i7). Either i5-3570K or i5-4670K (or the non-K version if you don't want to overclock and want to save some money). The reason is simple - games very rarely take advantage of 8 threads. The price premium for HyperThreading is not worth it for gaming.
Motherboard, if you get the 3570, get a Z77 motherboard like the Asus Maximus V Gene or Asus Sabertooth Z77 (note, the X79 Kirito mentioned is NOT compatible, being a LGA 2011 socket) or any other cheaper Gigabyte Z77 board. If you get the 4670 (Haswell), get a Z87 motherboard like the Asus Maximus VI Hero (best gaming performance) or the Asus Sabertooth Z87 (slightly better overclocking) or the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (cheaper and most well rounded features). Or the Gigabyte Z87X-OC if money is no concern (best overclocking).
Memory, if you get 3570, get 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM. If you get the 4670, get 8GB of 2400Mhz RAM (7-15% gaming and multitasking performance boost). Corsair Vengeance are good.
Graphics, there are many choices. GTX 770, GTX 780, HD 7970. Generally the more expensive, the more powerful. GTX Titan is the most powerful, but the price is a bit silly. Don't get a second graphics card unless you intend to add a third (to iron out microstuttering issues).

CPU cooler, I would say, largely depends on your case. Corsair H100i is probably the best liquid cooler (closed loop, no fuss) without custom kits, but not so many cases can actually fit it inside without extreme modification (dremel anyone?). H80i is still good, and much easier to find a place to attach it to. Air cooling is a much more mature market so cooling is guaranteed with minimal fuss, but then you get the monolithic heatsinks and noisy fans.
Case, plenty of good choices. If you want something standard, there's the CoolerMaster HAF series. If you want something with a twist, there's the SilverStone Raven RV03. If you want something with enough fans to generate a tornado, there's the Antec xxHundred series (I have an Antec 1200). If you want something with a bit more style, there's the NZXT Phantom series. And for the nVidia fanboys out there, there's the nVidia case.
Power supply depends on how many graphics cards you're getting. One: no need to go above 600W (or 450W for that matter). Two: aim for 650-850W. Three+: 850-1200W. Make sure it's a good brand since an unnamed (often chinese) PSU can blow up and are literally hazardous to health (black smoke is not breathable). Corsair is a good place to start looking (even if they are rebranded SeaSonic PSUs).

Storage, tends to be about what's left over in the budget. DVD drive, $15. BluRay drive, $50. 1TB HDD, $70. 4TB HDD, $180. 256GB SSD, $180-240. 512GB SSD, $400.
Extras: Windows, monitor, keyboard, sound card, WiFi card/dongle, webcam, lighting mods, etc. I won't comment.

EDIT: If you provide a website you're happy to order from, we can always use that to scratch up a build with their prices.

Pokecix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It looks so expensive because it's the most powerful single-GPU graphics card on the market. That said, the GTX 770 and 780 are not far behind, and are much more affordable.

CPU... so for purely gaming, you want a good Core i5 (not i7). Either i5-3570K or i5-4670K (or the non-K version if you don't want to overclock and want to save some money). The reason is simple - games very rarely take advantage of 8 threads. The price premium for HyperThreading is not worth it for gaming.
Motherboard, if you get the 3570, get a Z77 motherboard like the Asus Maximus V Gene or Asus Sabertooth Z77 (note, the X79 Kirito mentioned is NOT compatible, being a LGA 2011 socket) or any other cheaper Gigabyte Z77 board. If you get the 4670 (Haswell), get a Z87 motherboard like the Asus Maximus VI Hero (best gaming performance) or the Asus Sabertooth Z87 (slightly better overclocking) or the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (cheaper and most well rounded features). Or the Gigabyte Z87X-OC if money is no concern (best overclocking).
Memory, if you get 3570, get 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM. If you get the 4670, get 8GB of 2400Mhz RAM (7-15% gaming and multitasking performance boost). Corsair Vengeance are good.
Graphics, there are many choices. GTX 770, GTX 780, HD 7970. Generally the more expensive, the more powerful. GTX Titan is the most powerful, but the price is a bit silly. Don't get a second graphics card unless you intend to add a third (to iron out microstuttering issues).

CPU cooler, I would say, largely depends on your case. Corsair H100i is probably the best liquid cooler (closed loop, no fuss) without custom kits, but not so many cases can actually fit it inside without extreme modification (dremel anyone?). H80i is still good, and much easier to find a place to attach it to. Air cooling is a much more mature market so cooling is guaranteed with minimal fuss, but then you get the monolithic heatsinks and noisy fans.
Case, plenty of good choices. If you want something standard, there's the CoolerMaster HAF series. If you want something with a twist, there's the SilverStone Raven RV03. If you want something with enough fans to generate a tornado, there's the Antec xxHundred series (I have an Antec 1200). If you want something with a bit more style, there's the NZXT Phantom series. And for the nVidia fanboys out there, there's the nVidia case.
Power supply depends on how many graphics cards you're getting. One: no need to go above 600W (or 450W for that matter). Two: aim for 650-850W. Three+: 850-1200W. Make sure it's a good brand since an unnamed (often chinese) PSU can blow up and are literally hazardous to health (black smoke is not breathable). Corsair is a good place to start looking (even if they are rebranded SeaSonic PSUs).

Storage, tends to be about what's left over in the budget. DVD drive, $15. BluRay drive, $50. 1TB HDD, $70. 4TB HDD, $180. 256GB SSD, $180-240. 512GB SSD, $400.
Extras: Windows, monitor, keyboard, sound card, WiFi card/dongle, webcam, lighting mods, etc. I won't comment.

EDIT: If you provide a website you're happy to order from, we can always use that to scratch up a build with their prices.

Wow thanks for that long comment c: and yes there is a site im planning to get parts from.

http://www.exa.com.tr/shop/pcwizard.asp

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Well I didn't spend any effort in making a build, but here it is:
Note: I didn't pick any monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. But I did add Windows. Just because. And there's plenty of budget to spare to upgrade the graphics card, add extra HDDs, add a sound card, etc.
Build.png

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The CPU will certainly stand for 4 years. The graphics card too. So will the cooler, PSU and case. Windows will probably not stand 4 years since I anticipate a W7 style OS revolution (like how W7 was to Vista, I expect either W8.1 or W9 will become standard over W8).

The storage in that build will need adding to. It's only 128GB, enough for an OS, your programs and some games. Simply add a 3 or 4TB HDD on top and it will last the average user 5+ years (I tend to buy an extra 4TB every couple years).

I can't speak for your keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

Pokecix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The CPU will certainly stand for 4 years. The graphics card too. So will the cooler, PSU and case. Windows will probably not stand 4 years since I anticipate a W7 style OS revolution (like how W7 was to Vista, I expect either W8.1 or W9 will become standard over W8).

The storage in that build will need adding to. It's only 128GB, enough for an OS, your programs and some games. Simply add a 3 or 4TB HDD on top and it will last the average user 5+ years (I tend to buy an extra 4TB every couple years).

I can't speak for your keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

Well thanks a lot for your help c: and i can replace the windows so thats not a problem either.

You are good at these things O/

Pierit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SLI 780s (or SLI anything) is more horrible in my opinion for the micro stuttering. Anyway, I'll make a more serious build post when I'm at home (lunch break on my phone isn't ideal for extensive advice giving).

When did you last use SLI? Nvidia has done a lot of work on SLI in the past couple years. With the 600 and 700 series, micro stuttering is pretty much a non-issue. Considering a $2000 budget, SLI is the way to go.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Last time?... about 4 years ago I guess. Last time I read up on it was in January to find that they're still saying microstuttering is much less evident in triple-GPU setups than dual-GPU setups. Anyway, most games are not programmed to make use of multiple GPUs, making extras wasted. It really does depend on the needs really, and the advice for gaming has always been to get a single, stronger graphics card instead of two weaker graphics cards in SLI/CrossFire.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google