• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Build The Wall!

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you even bothered to read the link you posted, you'd see this relevant little passage here:

Addressing reporters in the White House Thursday, President Biden said he didn't want to build the wall, but that his hands were tied by the law Congress passed in 2019.

"They have to use the money from what was appropriated," Biden said. "I can't stop that."

When asked if he believes border walls work, the president responded "no."

Now, I can't say if it is an excuse or not, but at least NOT wanting to waste money shows a resemblance of reason. There's also the fact that said wall is never going to work, but the subtleties of US politics are obviously mysterious.

Reactions: EthanB and Xzi

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the Biden Administration required to waive 26 Federal laws, including the Endangered Species Act, to facilitate construction? (I honestly don't know. Seems like despite the appropriation there could have been an effort to use regulatory roadblocks & delay if they really didn't want to do this.)

Why did the Secretary of DHS say "there is presently an acute & immediate need to construct physical barriers to prevent unlawful entries" ?

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was the Biden Administration required to waive 26 Federal laws, including the Endangered Species Act, to facilitate construction? (I honestly don't know. Seems like despite the appropriation there could have been an effort to use regulatory roadblocks & delay if they really didn't want to do this.)

Why did the Secretary of DHS say "there is presently an acute & immediate need to construct physical barriers to prevent unlawful entries" ?
See, the 2019 Trump Congress made an un-viable project which required said laws to be waived to actually progress, otherwise the money would go down the drain. We don't want wastes, do we?

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, the 2019 Trump Congress made an un-viable project which required said laws to be waived to actually progress, otherwise the money would go down the drain. We don't want wastes, do we?

I read the link from your previous post ... 4.5 billion border funding bill is called a victory for Pelosi and notes that only 4 Democrats voted against it. It passed the House 230-195. Only three Republicans voted for it.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4.5 billion border funding bill is called a victory for Pelosi and notes that only 4 Democrats voted against it. It passed the House 230-195. Only three Republicans voted for it.
because instead of simply being a "build the wall thingy" it featured the following things
It includes provisions for the treatment of migrant children in U.S. custody. It sets up a showdown with the GOP-controlled Senate, and President Trump has threatened to veto the bill even if it does pass the Senate.

It apparently made Republikkkans butthurt enough they wanted to vote it down?

More importantly, as I said, RepubliKKKans controlled the senate so, eventually, the bill would have passed ANYWAY. The point I made in my first post still stands, this was a republican-passed project.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I read the link from your previous post ... 4.5 billion border funding bill is called a victory for Pelosi and notes that only 4 Democrats voted against it. It passed the House 230-195. Only three Republicans voted for it.
I don’t know why they’re even bothering with it at all. Last I checked, walls didn’t work and we were supposed to build bridges.

Right? :)

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work