edizius2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,
I have bricked my Wii U so i had boght a new one. When i tried to log in to my Nintendo account, i was told that i can not log in as my ID is linked to an other Wii (my bricked one). Is there a way to unlink the old one, so i can use my purchesed DS game to use haxchi again? Or do i have to create a new ID and purchase a new game?
Furtheron, I have installed all my game disks to an external HDD with my old wii. Can I use this HDD in my new Wii U, or do I have to reinstall them via disc2app / Wup Installer?
Thanks,
Edizius

Last edited by edizius2,

edizius2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have asked Nintendo to reset my Account, so this part is fine. But is there a way to use the old external HDD without reinstalling all the games?

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi. Officially there isn't a method to do so. And the homebrew side hasn't allowed such a thing (yet). So you need to install games again.
Once a storage drive has been formatted it will be encrypted to only work on that system so if you try to use it another console the Wii U will show a prompt to reformat it again.

edizius2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And to decrypt and reencrypt for the new Wii U is also not possible? Is there something like this in progress? Then I play in the mean time from disk. But also all savings are gone so to say?

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry there isn't such a thing yet that happened to me as well once and I had to reinstall everything.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As long as you have a backup of the EEPROM of the original console, it is in theory possible to copy the (part of) USB encryption key from there to the new console (assuming both the disk and the sata/usb converter have remained the same)...

...but as far as I know nobody created a tool to do that (maybe it could be done with rednand and a hex editor?)

Also, managing to mount the disk doesn't mean being able to run its contents (the console would be missing the tickets), it would be a grab-saves-and-reformat affair

Another person learns the hard way to keep regular backups?

edizius2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a backup from the nand. And the Hardware from the external HDD kept the same. I think next step is to try my luck with the hardmod to revital the old bricked Wii U and If i mess it Up i reinstall my titles...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it's not possible, the encryption is completely different.
the drive is encrypted using an unique key, and that key is different on each console, and changed everytime you format your console. So even an HDD from the same console can't be used if you formatted your WiiU.
replacing the first 64byte is done to repair some missing data but it needs to use the same encryption key or the 64bytes would be unreadable with the current console's unique key.

that "fist 64 byte" trick is only possible if you format 2 different WiiU HDD with the same console's unique key. in case your HDD is corrupted, you use another drive to recreate the exact same data on another drive, and copy only that part on the old corrupted drive in hope it's enough.
it rarely is, and the drive's content is most of the time lost.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: edizius2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...