Hacking Question Bought unpatched Switch, best way to setup EmuMMC/CFW without getting banned?

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello everyone,

since my first Switch got banned recently I bought a used unpatched Switch from eBay. My question is, whats the best and most stealth setup to play online on OFW and to have EmuMMC and CFW offline?
I have researched for days now and I would do the following...

Step 1: Backup clean Nand and Boot0/1 using Hekate (Firmware unknown as of right now)
Step 2: Update OFW using eShop
Step 3: Backup clean Nand and Boot0/1 using Hekate (latest FW)
Step 3: Create EmuMMC using Hekate
Step 4: Install Atmosphere
Step 5: install 90DNS and Incognito_RCM for EmuMMC before connecting to wireless
Step 6: done

Are there more steps or do you recommend a more reliable and safe route? Since this is my second switch I do not want to screw this one up (again) :)

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by akey83,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. Disable wifi/ enable airplane mode.
2. Backup.
3. Create EmuMMC.
4. Use ams or any package that is out there to boot EmuMMC.
5. Change theme on EmuMMC (so that you know when you are in SysNAND and EmuMMC).
6. Update EmuMMC via choidujourNX (remember to disable autoRCM).
7. Install 90DNS and such for "safe" internet.

Optional: If your FW version is low enough, and you are willing to wait (probably as you are going to use EmuMMC anyways), never update your SysNAND.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
1. Disable wifi/ enable airplane mode.
2. Backup.
3. Create EmuMMC.
4. Use ams or any package that is out there to boot EmuMMC.
5. Change theme on EmuMMC (so that you know when you are in SysNAND and EmuMMC).
6. Update EmuMMC via choidujourNX (remember to disable autoRCM).
7. Install 90DNS and such for "safe" internet.

Optional: If your FW version is low enough, and you are willing to wait (probably as you are going to use EmuMMC anyways), never update your SysNAND.

Since I want to play online, I assume I need to update the OFW to the latest vesion, maybe the seller already updated to the latest firmware, I am not 100% sure. Why not update OFW first and proceed from there instead of using choidujourNX to update the EmuMMC only?

Last edited by akey83,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Since I want to play online, I assume I need to update the OFW to the latest vesion, maybe the seller already updated to the latest firmware, I am not 100% sure. Why not update OFW first and proceed from there instead of using choidujourNX to update the EmuMMC only?
Oh, well, if you are going to play online, you can update your SysNAND first, disable wifi and then continue.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,

since my first Switch got banned recently I bought a used unpatched Switch from eBay. My question is, whats the best and most stealth setup to play online on OFW and to have EmuMMC and CFW offline?
I have researched for days now and I would do the following...

Step 1: Backup clean Nand and Boot0/1 using Hekate (Firmware unknown as of right now)
Step 2: Update OFW using eShop
Step 3: Backup clean Nand and Boot0/1 using Hekate (latest FW)
Step 3: Create EmuMMC using Hekate
Step 4: Install Atmosphere
Step 5: install 90DNS and Incognito_RCM for EmuMMC before connecting to wireless
Step 6: done

Are there more steps or do you recommend a more reliable and safe route? Since this is my second switch I do not want to screw this one up (again) :)

Cheers,
Alex

Hi Alex, what is the current firmware of your switch ? If it is below or equal to 8.0.1 it is still advisable not to update it with the official updater in step 2, because the déjà vu exploit (that allows reloading to RCM and injecting payloads without the need for an external device) is technically usable up to firmware 7.0.1, even though it has not been implemented yet past 4.1.0, and the number of fuses is the same between 7.0.0 and 8.0.1, meaning you can downgrade from 8.0.1 to 7.0.0. So if you ever want to have access to this exploit you should update without burning fuses. If you have a higher firmware than 8.0.1 it's up to you to decide if you want to bet on another exploit being found someday (which seems rather unlikely for now, but who knows) and still update without burning fuses or if you think that it's not worth the moderate hustle and would just rather update with the official updater.

If you want to update your sysNAND without burning fusese there are two main ways of doing so : temporarely booting atmos and using ChoiDuJourNX while offline, or temporarely booting atmosphere while online and using the official updater, since atmos prevents burning fuses natively. Some people reported that simply booting atmos and then updating with the official updater didn't get them banned, which I'm enclined to believe since atmos copies the behavior of stock HOS quite well, but personally I'd rather never go online with CFW on my sysNAND so I use the first method, more precisely detailed here.

For the rest your steps are correct, even though step 4 can be done at any point since it's just copying files on your sd.
Also a good idea is to have different themes between sysNAND and emuMMC so you will always know instantly what you are using and avoid hypothetical mistakes, but even without this you should be fully safe if incognito did its job on your emuMMC partition.

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Oh, well, if you are going to play online, you can update your SysNAND first, disable wifi and then continue.

like this... ?

1. Update OFW using eShop
2. Disable wifi/ enable airplane mode.
3. Backup Nand + Boot0/1 in Hekate
4. Create EmuMMC in Hekate
5. Use latest Atmosphere to boot EmuMMC.
6. Change theme on EmuMMC (so that you know when you are in SysNAND and EmuMMC).
7. Install 90DNS and Incognito_RCM for "safe" internet.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
like this... ?

6. Change theme on EmuMMC (so that you know when you are in SysNAND and EmuMMC).
Personally I'd still start by doing a first backup before any update, even though it's very unlikely that the update goes wrong it's always better to have a backup ready just in case.

Reactions: akey83

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi Alex, what is the current firmware of your switch ? If it is below or equal to 8.0.1 it is still advisable not to update it with the official updater in step 2, because the déjà vu exploit (that allows reloading to RCM and injecting payloads without the need for an external device) is technically usable up to firmware 7.0.1, even though it has not been implemented yet past 4.1.0, and the number of fuses is the same between 7.0.0 and 8.0.1, meaning you can downgrade from 8.0.1 to 7.0.0. So if you ever want to have access to this exploit you should update without burning fuses. If you have a higher firmware than 8.0.1 it's up to you to decide if you want to bet on another exploit being found someday (which seems rather unlikely for now, but who knows) and still update without burning fuses or if you think that it's not worth the moderate hustle and would just rather update with the official updater.

If you want to update your sysNAND without burning fusese there are two main ways of doing so : temporarely booting atmos and using ChoiDuJourNX while offline, or temporarely booting atmosphere while online and using the official updater, since atmos prevents burning fuses natively. Some people reported that simply booting atmos and then updating with the official updater didn't get them banned, which I'm enclined to believe since atmos copies the behavior of stock HOS quite well, but personally I'd rather never go online with CFW on my sysNAND so I use the first method, more precisely detailed here.

For the rest your steps are correct, even though step 4 can be done at any point since it's just copying files on your sd.
Also a good idea is to have different themes between sysNAND and emuMMC so you will always know instantly what you are using and avoid hypothetical mistakes, but even without this you should be fully safe if incognito did its job on your emuMMC partition.

just had a talk to the seller, he told me that he updated to the latest FW. He said during "reset to factory state" he was prompted to update to the latest one.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
like this... ?

That's what I would do.

Reactions: akey83

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
just had a talk to the seller, he told me that he updated to the latest FW. He said during "reset to factory state" he was prompted to update to the latest one.
Damn people updating their devices haha ! So you'll just need to decide how you want to update in the future when a new firmware is available (apparently one is planned for the 6th of January).

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to update your sysnand without burn your fuses, you can update with the official way but when it is showing thing like "the console will reboot now) be sure that you have a jig (or thing like that) and you are holding button to boot in rcm before the system initialization with the new firmware
Install autorcm
Fuse will be ok and your system updated without homebrew/hack
Do it each time you want to update

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
okay so in that case I would prefer your way... temporarely booting atmos on SysNand and using ChoiDuJourNX while offline.?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you want to update your sysnand without burn your fuses, you can update with the official way but when it is showing thing like "the console will reboot now) be sure that you have a jig (or thing like that) and you are holding button to boot in rcm before the system initialization with the new firmware
Install autorcm

okay, so this approach is new to me. Is there some kind of Tutorial out there?

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
okay so in that case I would prefer your way... temporarely booting atmos on SysNand and using ChoiDuJourNX while offline.?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

okay, so this approach is new to me. Is there some kind of Tutorial out there?
I always did my ofw update like that

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Install autorcm
This way seems rather unsafe to me, if your jig has a problem just once (which seems fairly common) all your efforts to keep a low fuse count is lost.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
but didn't the seller already updated and burnt the fuses but in any case, if you still want to get it and don't care about a possible cold cfw solution that may come someday i would do a backup using hekate before doing anything so u have a clean backup

did the seller say if he has hack the switch ever before

akey83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
but didn't the seller already updated and burnt the fuses but in any case, if you still want to get it and don't care about a possible cold cfw solution that may come someday i would do a backup using hekate before doing anything so u have a clean backup

did the seller say if he has hack the switch ever before

the switch was only used to play Zelda, he never messed with CFW or any Exploits

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu