Hacking BootMii

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
I wanted to know what happened when a Wii with a modified boot2 was updated. Is there any chance that it would brick the Wii? I don't think Nintendo will brick Wiis when BootMii is detected, but it might accidentally overwrite a part of boot2, right?
They might update boot2 (all of it), which would just revert the BootMii install. Once we have the proper runtime IOS patcher, we'll actually turn off their ability to touch boot2.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
marcan said:
Maikel Steneker said:
I wanted to know what happened when a Wii with a modified boot2 was updated. Is there any chance that it would brick the Wii? I don't think Nintendo will brick Wiis when BootMii is detected, but it might accidentally overwrite a part of boot2, right?
They might update boot2 (all of it), which would just revert the BootMii install. Once we have the proper runtime IOS patcher, we'll actually turn off their ability to touch boot2.
Well, what if Nintendo releases an update which requires a new boot2? Wouldn't this essentially brick the Wii? Of course you would be able to restore it or update it manually, but I personally wouldn't like having to restore my Wii after updating.

That said, what are the odds of Nintendo actually updating boot2? I don't think they will ever do that...

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
That said, what are the odds of Nintendo actually updating boot2? I don't think they will ever do that...
They already have BOOT2v2 and BOOT2v3, with a small hardware change detail for newer Wiis. BootMii uses boot2v3 (if you have boot2v2 it'll seamlessly upgrade you to a bootmii-enabled boot2v3). boot2v4 would presumably fix the signing bug whenever it comes out, so there's a decent chance it will.

I doubt they're going to release an update that "requires" a new boot2. There isn't much to "require". Boot2 goes away as soon as IOS loads.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
this project is really interesting..
you show in ur video that you boot up directly into the homebrew channel..
how does it work? is this code stored on the SD card? or inside the wii?

can you use bootmii to load for example, a customIOS without altering the original one?

it would be cool for cIOS developers.

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
atomikramp said:

It's a rather small stub stored on the NAND (it's actually a hacked boot2elfloader) that loads code from the SD card to Starlet and runs it. The auto-hbc code on the SD card is basically just a boot2 elf loader that patches the titleid to the hbc titleid.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
berlinka said:
I don't understand what the potential is here. I watched the vid and it looks very technical and I'm sure this could lead to...eh...something else. But I haven't got a clue what it is.
Boot2 is booted before Starlet, the system menue and stuff. This replaces Boot2 with custom code with which you can recover almost every bricked Wii and it can run code from SD-card, with which you can for example patch the system menu on the fly and remove the health and safety screen and stuff.

I for one am really looking foreward to it. ^^

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Looks really promising! Thanks marcan, bushing and everybody else involved.

May we expect a hackmii article about the progress or even about the release anytime soon?
I always find the insight conveyed in these articles quite interesting.

atomikramp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
svpe said:
atomikramp said:

It's a rather small stub stored on the NAND (it's actually a hacked boot2elfloader) that loads code from the SD card to Starlet and runs it. The auto-hbc code on the SD card is basically just a boot2 elf loader that patches the titleid to the hbc titleid.

mhhh can you for example run a customIOS instead of hbc?

reluttr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
marcan said:
reluttr said:
Does anyone know the name of the song in the demo video?
http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00877/

Thank you
biggrin.gif

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kedest said:
Like a complete custom firmware?

last time i checked my wii wasn't a psp. i guess it's time to look again now, eh? (read: fail.)

we will eventually be able to apply those patchmii/cIOS patches on-the-fly before the new IOS is actually loaded. This will be done by patching boot2's ios loading functions to apply patches to the IOS. One of those patches will allow the IOS to do the same in case a new IOS is loaded. But we have absolutely no code to this for now, it's just an idea and will probably take much more time until it's fully working.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I don't understand what the potential is here. I watched the vid and it looks very technical and I'm sure this could lead to...eh...something else. But I haven't got a clue what it is.
Well, people could make their own UIs and menus (HBC for example), though they're pretty difficult to make I guess.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the Wii's UI is just images displayed on a simple HTML page... it's already been proven...

the hard part is replacing the HTML and graphic files with something that can be used without bricking the Wii into oblivion... no one is really ready to start messing around with the core files until there is a way to COMPLETELY brick proof the Wii... so if the core UI is pooched, they can go back in, re-write the original files, and try again...

This looks like the tool to do that... so hopefully within the next 3-6 months we'll be seeing brand new Wii UI's, and maybe even some tools that allow you to run backups at 6x without modifying the disc image!

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
marcan, do you have all the secrets to the wii now?, or havnt you reversed engineered everything yet? its going to be awsome to see what else you can do with the wii(360 emulation
tongue.gif
"joke") would it be possible to actualy replace the wii menu with a custom one from sd card, say like when xbox had modchips with avalaunch?

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
marcan, do you have all the secrets to the wii now?, or havnt you reversed engineered everything yet? its going to be awsome to see what else you can do with the wii(360 emulation
tongue.gif
"joke") would it be possible to actualy replace the wii menu with a custom one from sd card, say like when xbox had modchips with avalaunch?

Now that would be freaken awesome to see a custom made menu for wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land