Hacking BootMii

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont tell me this can be used for an ultimate wii iso loader -___-'
Or else we'll get threads saying " Hows canz I get ISO to works with The thingy BootMii?!"

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Framework43 said:
dont tell me this can be used for a ultimate wii iso loader
sleep.gif
'
not straight way no.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
noobwarrior7 said:
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:
I was wondering, will BootMii allow us to get a "True" NAND dump?

what is the problem with current NAND dumps ?

current NAND dumpers, as explained by bushing, are trying to dump while writing to the NAND is taking place.
Therefore, every dump done through software so far is actually somewhat corrupt, at least in the sector where data was being written.
the only way demoed to do a true dump was by causing a special crash and doing some other stuff that is beyond me.

I also thought this might be the reason why I was getting an error code -11 while trying to use yawnd...
as -12 is bad blcoks, I was unable to find out what -11 was....NAND_Dumper displayed an error at the same point,
but went by so fast I couldn't read it, and continued to dump instead of failing and restarting the wii as yawnd does.

It is my hope, but not an assumption I'm ready to make, that BootMii will allow us to use external (SD) software to do a static NAND dump.

so....now that I've clarified....I await some kind of answer/explanation.
Well, the only way to have a "true" NAND dump that I know of is by placing a switch on the Wii which lets the NAND to be still powered, but having the Wii in standby (by crashing or some other way, I don't recall correctly as I read about this a lot ago) and then dumping the NAND via a chip like Infectus.

Seeing as the current NAND dump method requires you to run some kind of code to do that, that also means the system has to be initialized. When the system is running, you'll always have some parts of the NAND being written up.

So... no, this won't probably help to do that. Btw, having a "true" NAND dump is useful only to hardware hackers and low-level devs.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

current NAND dumpers, as explained by bushing, are trying to dump while writing to the NAND is taking place.
Therefore, every dump done through software so far is actually somewhat corrupt, at least in the sector where data was being written.
the only way demoed to do a true dump was by causing a special crash and doing some other stuff that is beyond me.

I also thought this might be the reason why I was getting an error code -11 while trying to use yawnd...
as -12 is bad blcoks, I was unable to find out what -11 was....NAND_Dumper displayed an error at the same point,
but went by so fast I couldn't read it, and continued to dump instead of failing and restarting the wii as yawnd does.

It is my hope, but not an assumption I'm ready to make, that BootMii will allow us to use external (SD) software to do a static NAND dump.

Well, the only way to have a "true" NAND dump that I know of is by placing a switch on the Wii which lets the NAND to be still powered, but having the Wii in standby (by crashing or some other way, I don't recall correctly as I read about this a lot ago) and then dumping the NAND via a chip like Infectus.

Seeing as the current NAND dump method requires you to run some kind of code to do that, that also means the system has to be initialized. When the system is running, you'll always have some parts of the NAND being written up.

So... no, this won't probably help to do that. Btw, having a "true" NAND dump is useful only to hardware hackers and low-level devs.
and for bricks.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
raulpica said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

What part of the Wii except code running on the ARM or PPC CPU do you expect to write to the NAND?
If you intercept the boot process with BootMii you have control over every single code line executed after that. So I am pretty sure that a correctly written NAND dumper (running from BootMii directly w/o IOS) is able to dump the NAND without error.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bailli said:
raulpica said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

What part of the Wii except code running on the ARM or PPC CPU do you expect to write to the NAND?
If you intercept the boot process with BootMii you have control over every single code line executed after that. So I am pretty sure that a correctly written NAND dumper (running from BootMii directly w/o IOS) is able to dump the NAND without error.

exactly what I was hoping/thinkin.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
bailli said:
raulpica said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

Hey, I'm not a dev
tongue.gif
Good to hear that, then.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
hey marcan while your here, will you be making a nand backup tool, to work with bootmii then, because iv been doing some stuff lately, and i think its gona brick sooner or later, it would be nice to have a failsafe option somewhere down the line.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
marcan said:
That is correct. It can also dump the entire NAND, including "bad" blocks.
Nice. All the currently exiting NAND dumpers error out on me at about 270MB. I guess I have a bad block there...

brownmurder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing has been announced

but it has been awhile since its been mentioned
problem is it has to be perfect because of the way it works if it bricked your wii its permenantly bricked so i read

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
marcan talked about the BootMii platform defining what we saw on the video as BootMii-Core ...
Any idea of what to expect for the 'still-to-be-written pieces' ? (Maybe useless to ask, but I'll still try
smile.gif
...)

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
FGOD said:
if you read the whole post on hackmii you'll get a picture of what you can expect...
Well there are a lot of interesting ideas (espacially in the 88 comments ...)
smile.gif

But I was just asking myself : is there a precise idea of what THEY planned to realease as other pieces aside from brick/malfunction recovery stuff ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over