Hacking BootMii

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
the Wii's UI is just images displayed on a simple HTML page... it's already been proven...
Yeah, but all the effects, the clock and things like the disc animation all require a lot of work to incorporate. I think it would be easy enough to make a UI better than the current one though, perhaps like the new or old 360 dashboards?

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
the Wii's UI is just images displayed on a simple HTML page... it's already been proven...
That is incorrect. Only the settings submenu is HTML, CSS, and heavily customized JavaScript. Everything else - including the channel display and selection as well as the mail submenu - is "coded" software.

QUOTEand maybe even some tools that allow you to run backups at 6x without modifying the disc image!
Re-read and try to understand the respective thread on the reasons for 3x in dvdvideo mode, especially Erant's post(s).

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brakken @ TehSkeen:
QUOTE said:
In a surprising move Marcan from Team Twiizers has released a video of what the SaveMii should of been. The BootMii is a device that allows you to run unsigned code upon boot up of the Nintendo Wii from the Wii's front sd slot. While I speculated the SaveMii did the same thing and was scolded for it along with Marcan's intentions being put on the table claiming this sort of thing wasn't in his eye sights.

Of course, Twiizers stance against piracy is strong and the device is supposed to run homebrew, one can only think about other uses that will come into play via running the "unsigned code" and the money Twiizers will make from it (as one can already boot backups via running unsigned code). Interesting, none the less.

EDIT: (Updated news post..)
brakken @ TehSkeen:
QUOTEMarcan from Team Twiizers has released a video of his BootMii software which allows you to boot unsigned code and original games upon powering on your console. Unlike I reported a few minutes ago (check the replies for the original/wrong post) this is a pure software based solution.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me think.
So if you get it installed on your Wii, then if the SD card is in the Wii, you can automatically boot into the HBC, and still exit out right? And if no SD card is in, you go to Wii menu(sorry, YouTube is being an ass and loading slow as hell) and everything could be okay. Like if you get a brick, you could "downgrade" or something with the downgrader? And restore the Wii? Or using WAD Manager to uninstall a bad .WAD/banner. If that's correct, then this is going to be great!
I can't wait until you release it!
biggrin.gif

And if you are too lazy/no wifi to use the downgrader/wad manager you could go to GeckoOS to load a game(not backup) and still play with a bricked wii?
rolleyes.gif

Link00y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I understood things: from the theoretical idea BootMii is more powerful in case of a bricked Wii. Bootmii will be able to boot as long as its code is in the boot2 of the CPU meaning even if the internal NAND is completely formatted it will work. So technically spoken: a Wii with the bootmii patch cannot brick in a way so that repair would require opening the console and desoldering the NAND. Imagine for example, a self-bootable image installer.. I have completely bricked my Wii.. the NAND isn't readable at all: Bootmii in, install image for PAL 3.2 Wii for example.. and: system back alive.

SaveMii will not be able to help.. SaveMii requires the Wii Menu to go into a recovery menu. If you can't access that menu as your Wii is completely gone.. the SaveMii won't help.. however, SaveMii can also help in case of the usual Opera Message Errorbricks.. and BootMii can only help there if your Wii boot2 is patched - BootMii requires a user patch - if it's not there BootMii won't work. SaveMii will work if the console still has a readable flash just messed up settings (European console settings but US menu for example).

So SaveMii and BootMii can both be used to unbrick bricked Wiis for example. Just they use different ways and they both have different way to perform the same thing in that case. However: SaveMii can technically only be used for unbricking.. or if you really want: booting games with an autoboot flag. BootMii can do a little bit more - but it needs a software patch first.

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
AlBa said:
Will it make SaveMii useless?

Pay close attention to this one!

SaveMii works on UNMODIFIED Wiis! As in, people who bricked their Wiis before brick-proofing software became available (BootMii, Starfall to some extent, etc.) will have a use for SaveMii. You can buy and use SaveMii for an ALREADY-BRICKED Wii!

BootMii runs as a MODIFICATION--If your Wii is already bricked, you can't just install BootMii magically. It's not a piece of hardware. You have to have a WORKING WII to install it!

That is the difference, and that is the significance.

Furthermore, once Nintendo fixes boot1 (for new Wiis from the factory), we will be unable to install BootMii in the same form. SaveMii, however, should always work on Wiis as long as Nintendo doesn't want to remake a bunch of developer hardware devices.

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
FGOD said:
but as far as i understood, boot1 will never be adjustable not even from a nintendo update? if so i am save
smile.gif
(if it is released ;-) )
Correct, it can never be changed--However, new Wiis may be programmed and manufactured with updated boot1s.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Wii laser?
We can start and stop reading the disk already.
I don't really know what you mean.

But we'd have control over Starlet. Which basically means normal speed games. Which I guess is what you mean as in backup playing maybe? (Since the laser reads the disks?)

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
The Wii laser?
We can start and stop reading the disk already.
I don't really know what you mean.

But we'd have control over Starlet. Which basically means normal speed games. Which I guess is what you mean as in backup playing maybe? (Since the laser reads the disks?)

the lazer doesnt spin the disk, why would you need code for the lazer? thats silly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1