Hacking Boot2?

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have installed homebrew channel without a problem but hesitated and never installed bootmii yet, I really am scared of bricking my wii thought theres way to back it up with NAND..

Anyway I was wondering if you can install as boot2, do you need to also install bootmii IOS?

I got my wii when it came out, so I can get it on boot2, thought what doing this do? Just straight loading it to the correct program when card loaded?

Also, after fully installing programs ( HBC, Usb loader, others.. ) will I still be able to load and play bought game I had?

I intend to follow this guide http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...stem-menus.html

it seems really clear and a lot of people approved it.

Sorry to bother but I have been looking several topics/video/tutorial and still am unsure of doing it to not brick it, but yet I so wanna do it !
unsure.gif

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use the current version of hackmii installer and select to install bootmii as boot2. It gives you better brick protection than installing it as an ios, just remember to make a NAND backup before you try anything else. You can also install it as a ios if you want but it isn't needed.

The wii menu (And all features) stay intact after installing homebrew, unless you use a program to modify the system menu like preloader. Your games will work fine as long as you follow the instructions.

SnacksHacks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiihbcentral.ucoz.com
XP
Country
United States
It sounds completely safe, but just in case, look at the serial number of your Wii. Just make sure it's not LU64 or above.

Definitely do a boot2, it's the only one that provides brick-proof protection. If you install as IOS, even if your Wii is bricked you can't restore from a NAND unless you have preloader. boot2 allows you to start BootMii before anything else loads, thus brickproof.

~Snacks
yay.gif

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so I only have to install it as boot2.

Preloader is just needed if you can only install as IOS?

I'll try and install everything today, wish me luck !
yay.gif

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Preloader is still recommended as it provides another form of Brick-Protection as well.
ie if you install a bad wad, it will corrupt your system menu. With Preloader you can go into HBC and remove the bad wad... much easier than doing a complete NAND restore with BootMii.
The two programs in conjuction with each other really compliment each other well and together provide the ultimate protection for you.

Also, preloader allows you to install system menu hacks, such as prevent Disk Updates, Region-Free channels, and much more.

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a quick question, I uninstalled IOS and installed as boot2, it says it worked and installed but when I go back it doesn't show the option to uninstall it, like IOS, is it normal??

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
ith Preloader you can go into HBC and remove the bad wad... much easier than doing a complete NAND restore with BootMii.
Bootmii can launch HBC directly.

Preloader is always nice to have though, since it can do menu hacks that can be turned on and off easily. Startpatch's hacks are more permanent.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knetog said:
Alright so I only have to install it as boot2.

Preloader is just needed if you can only install as IOS?

I'll try and install everything today, wish me luck !
yay.gif

Yes, but it also has other features that you may like (Such as region free, skip disc update, etc.). I don't see any harm in having it, but it's up to you.

sKeEt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys.

I'm trying to install hackmii on my brothers Wii as well but it won't install as boot2 only as an IOS. I don't understand why as I have never installed anything to his Wii back when I first softmodded it

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright I have more news, seems like I only had to restart wii too see that I could uninstall boot2. It said in the tutorial that if boot2 was installed it should run bootmii alone, but it didn't so I re-installed IOS in order to run bootmii via HBC ( home button ) and worked throught with the power/reset button. Now my NAND backup is on the way. I planned after installing everything ( usb loader and such ) to uninstall IOS, should I? or just leave it as it is?

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright I think I got everything done in order to play via usb loader

- HBC installed
- Bootmii as boot2/IOS
- Removed IOS249
- Installed cios38rev14 via network install

Now all I gotta do is install USB loader, use program on pc to add iso game into usb key and play, right?

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think i'll install usb loader as a channel, ill just keep the sd card in the wii, but whenever I load the program from HBC, it loads and says: Waiting on your slow usb device and a 30 sec countdown starts, once it's done I get back to wii menu... What am I doing wrong?

Knetog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks longtom1, I wonder why it won't work on both slot? Anyway, the reason it took me a while before responding is that I was playing New super mario bros with my brother, thanks again ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up