• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,178
  • Replies 15
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
GBAtemp is an Independent Video Game Community, but also supports discussion on TV, Music, Art, and more. So why is there no discussion about Board and Card Games? They predated TV and Video Games and could fit nicely with the other forums.

Reactions: sion_zaphod

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp is an Independent Video Game Community, but also supports discussion on TV, Music, Art, and more. So why is there no discussion about Board and Card Games? They predated TV and Video Games and could fit nicely with the other forums.
It's like asking why there's no anime forum etc, which has been asked before. If there were a substantial amount of talk for board games on the site, a subforum would be made to meet demand. Just look at the relatively new world goings on subforum.

D

Deleted User

OP
It's like asking why there's no anime forum etc, which has been asked before. If there were a substantial amount of talk for board games on the site, a subforum would be made to meet demand. Just look at the relatively new world goings on subforum.
I'm sure a subforum being made would increase interest in it. I'd definitely check it all the time and post in it! (200th message yay)

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about a subforum for buttered toasts?

254567_ldementhon_b5307778-b72b-4510-a611-c62a8099f23b.png

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had dozens of board games back in the day, but it seems like once the 2600 came into the house that was all she wrote. For better/worse, I suppose.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said it is usually demand based and "build it and they will come" is not really a thing.

On the other hand what we sometimes say is if you can maintain a sticky that overflows and starts needing to branch out then the matter can be revisited.

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
I would definitely be interested in a forum for board games/tabletop games and trading/collectable card games. The way I see it games like these are at the route of game mechanics which is still very much existent in video games. Chess, Risk, Go for example are probably responsible for thousands of strategy based video/computer games. And other more complex mechanics like D20 can claim probably even more. Would Pokémon exist if not for collectable card games. When I was a student studying software engineering money was tight and I didn't always play the latest video games or consoles but me and my mates were always trying out new game systems or dusting off scenarios from forgotten realms when we weren't playing any of the many versions of Zelda or FF7/8 for the umpteenth play through. My house mate actually taught me to play MTG and I've been a fan ever since. There is definitely an interest in the subject and I would say the majority of programmers would think the same. Computers and consoles did not invent gaming.

I would also like to add that a forum for LARP would be interesting too.

Side note; has anyone ever played WOLOLO's excellent homebrew game Wagic the Homebrew?

Last edited by sion_zaphod,
D

Deleted User

OP
The thing is, if I were to post a thread about debating whether UNO or UNO Attack is the best version of UNO, no one would read it because people come there for video games. A Board Game forum would unite us board game fans on this website. Also, I just checked the art forum, and the last post was from last February, and heck, it was about the DSI! I know it may be silly, but I'd love to speak with fellow tempers who love board games and video games as much as I do.

Reactions: sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
It's called Uno extreme in the UK and the original Uno is far better. But even than that is the card game Switch which is played with normal playing cards (probably what Uno is based on).

D

Deleted User

OP
It's called Uno extreme in the UK and the original Uno is far better. But even than that is the card game Switch which is played with normal playing cards (probably what Uno is based on).
I enjoy UNO Attack (or Extreme) more because it adds another layer of luck, which means more tension and surprise. It's more complex with the added cards and just adds hype to the game.

Last edited by ,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoy UNO Attack (or Extreme) more because it adds another layer of luck, which means more tension and surprise. It's more complex with the added cards and just adds hype to the game.
Maybe you should make a thread for this in general off topic..? If the demand really is there, people will come to discuss. Just as they have for this thread.

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not much of a fan of Uno extreme as you said it makes the game more about luck than skill. Great for playing my kids but not so enjoyable for people wanting to win by skill. But Switch is by far the better game. Scoring adds far more tactics to the game. Have you played monopoly deal? It's a card game with simple rules but really complex game mechanics.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it's a good idea if there are enough interested people to fill it with content. There are enough board games, tabletop RPGs etc. out there that having a section for it is justified as long as there are enough interested people.
I'm not much of a fan of Uno extreme as you said it makes the game more about luck than skill. Great for playing my kids but not so enjoyable for people wanting to win by skill. But Switch is by far the better game. Scoring adds far more tactics to the game. Have you played monopoly deal? It's a card game with simple rules but really complex game mechanics.
I tried that Monopoly card game, but I found it boring. Give me real Monopoly any day, that game is great.
Uno is a lot of fun too, at least for a few rounds at a time. I also tried Uno H2O and Uno Attack. The card launcher seemed pretty pointless, but it was funny when I pressed the button and nothing came out, and then the next guy got like 7 cards at once.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.