Science and History

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
tl;dr: alternatively Technology and Science.
Would accomplish:
-establishing culture of higher quality discussion
-creating space for expression of serious and intelligent thought

Hello and thank you for taking your time,

it is my impression that GBAtemp is a community of high IQ people (on average), alot of them being quite crafty, when it comes to hardware as well as software. In alot of discussion I had I was asked to provide scientific studies or was confronted with such. There seems to be a curiosity for knowledge in amoung tempers, I would argue you don't see in alot of other communities.

Now, I understand that the politics section was made to contain certain types of discussions and keep the forum nice and tidy. From this perspective there is no need for a Science and History section. I do however feel, that having such a section does raise the quality of discourse all across the board, because it has the potential to cultivate a stronger sense of proper discourse amoung a subsection of the userbase, and that would wear off on other sections as well.

With so much curiosity and brainpower amoung tempers this seems to me like a suggestion that deserves consideration.

How do you feel about this?

Last edited by Creamu,
Reactions: Nikokaro
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Dr. Creamu: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Troll

GBATemp is full of morons, anyone who has spent 5 minutes on here knows that. Every other day we have some guy coming on here thinking he's going to be the next Geohot asking why no one simply hacks the Switch oled by crashing Minecraft or changing the DNS settings. It's so obvious. We did it on the 3DS we can do it again, I have no education in the area of mathematics or computer science but don't worry, I am an expert. I managed to follow a youtube video to hack a WiiU don'tcha know?

Creamu is an avid GBATemp user, he knows this. If all you have seen are his complaints about EMF giving people brain aids you might think that he is just like the other mongs on here. He isn't. He doesn't just complain about EMF he makes (pretty good) songs about how EMF is going to kill you and fuck your wife.

Creamu has a PhD in Trollery from the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. If you take him seriously he will drive you insane. There is no way he considers the average GBAtemp user to be intelligent. Maybe he legitimately does want a Science and History section but if so it is solely to expand his trolling. He will fill it with threads about Agartha and Blob Lazlard.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
To get back ontopic, my key points so far:

What I want to accomplish:
-establishing culture of higher quality discussion
-creating space for expression of serious and intelligent thought

Not only do I think it would possibly attract orderly people, I also think it would create an atmosphere of orderly conduct that would impact other sections. It's kind of the reversal of the arguement for the politics section (containment of certain tendencies).

For discussion like this you need a proper enviroment. The idea of science discussions in for example EoF illustrates this quite clearly. If you post political content in EoF the thread will take a radically different direction than what it gets in the dedicated section.

A decent chunk of users being seriously intelligent, shows that there is potetnial for such a space of serious and intelligent discussion on this site.

I offer to be mod for politics and a potential science section.

To be clear, a Technology and Science forum would be really nice, but a History and Philosophy forum would be just as great. The core point is this:

GBAtemp would benefit from a forum that is intelligent and serious

My suggestion is to do the politics forum move only in the positive direction. The politics forum was created as a reaction to unruly behavior in other forums. It was successful in containing this. The reversal would be to amplify and spread the good qualities of this forum, which is the capability of serious and intelligent discourse.

My point is that there is a lack of a serious and intelligent section in relation to the high average IQ as well as proportion of really high IQ people in this community.

In this hyperpolarised society is in dire need of communication of high intelligence and a kind of seriousness that is related to consequence (science, art, philosophy etc). I'm giving it a shot here, and maybe it will stick, maybe it won't. At least I have tried. I think only having a politics section, which is in large part quite unintellligent without a counterpart is just cultivating toxic thoughtpatterns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1