Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D effect is already boring on 3DS games.
Also what do you think it's gonna happen? You think all SNES games will suddenly become Paper Mario?
All you gonna get is some weird combination of 2D sprites floating over 2D layers...

The idea of 3D Snes Emulation was already worked on when Nvidia 3D Vision first came out. It works pretty well in all honesty. There are occasional issues but some basic blanket support for it and maybe customization options on deciding how far out each layer goes would help to make this a fantastic emulator. Otherwise, as a Nvidia Shield owner, I'm probably just better off emulating Snes on that device with shaders/better speed/more functionality. Although nice work on the emulator. It's nice to see progress is actually being made.

Reactions: MOHRCORE

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The idea of 3D Snes Emulation was already worked on when Nvidia 3D Vision first came out. It works pretty well in all honesty. There are occasional issues but some basic blanket support for it and maybe customization options on deciding how far out each layer goes would help to make this a fantastic emulator. Otherwise, as a Nvidia Shield owner, I'm probably just better off emulating Snes on that device with shaders/better speed/more functionality. Although nice work on the emulator. It's nice to see progress is actually being made.

Yeah, it's awful indeed. Thanks for providing evidence.

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Of course because a barebones, experimental build of a 3D emulator, that displays the effect depending of the layers as opposed to doing it correctly will make for an awesome 3D effect, right?!.
Honestly, if it were for a SNES emulator I already have thousands of devices capable of emulating it. The thing that I expect the most and that will most likely make this emulator stand out of the others is, guess what again, 3D, and I'm not the only one to agree to this fact.
Also, that's quite a bold statement you made there, saying the 3D effect is boring. It might not be your cup of tea, but to me and others it helps for immersion.

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We must not have watched the same video so it seems.

It was great for most games even in the most simplest proof of concept form. They aren't quite as good as Nintendos 3D Classics but if we started creating 3D Profiles on a game to game basis it could go above and beyond what Nintendo has done themselves.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
We must not have watched the same video so it seems.

It was great for most games even in the most simplest proof of concept form.

It's decent for some games, but there was a part in the Street Fighter 2 portion that had a layering issue, where the background is constructed of multiple layers to form one, and it made it bulge out in various squares. Same goes for many of Squaresoft's RPGs.

Reactions: igivenup

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's decent for some games, but there was a part in the Street Fighter 2 portion that had a layering issue, where the background is constructed of multiple layers to form one, and it made it bulge out in various squares. Same goes for many of Squaresoft's RPGs.
Blanket support is never going to be perfect. His suggestion was adding profiles on a game to game basis which I think is a fantastic idea.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Blanket support is never going to be perfect. His suggestion was adding profiles on a game to game basis which I think is a fantastic idea.

Oh, I don't disagree with the profile thing. Some games may simply not work well for the 3D effect at all, while others may feel like they were designed for the effect all along.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have also noticed that your emulator displays colours in a funny way (they're accurate, but it looks like there's movement on them) and after activating the 3D slider, pressing home and going back to the emulator, the colours somehow get fixed.

If I had to guess, I would say that maybe your emulator is using the full 800x240 resolution of the 3DS, but then it gets back to 400x240 after doing all of the above.
I think I discussed whether this was possible in another thread:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/can-hacking-open-up-the-other-400-pixels.358365/

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

parsimony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong here?
No games show up in the menu. I've got them in a folder named snes in the sd with the emulator.

cT0cjiK.png

zodGrMb.jpg

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong here?
No games show up in the menu. I've got them in a folder named snes in the sd with the emulator.

cT0cjiK.png

zodGrMb.jpg

Is the SD card the 3DS memory, or Gateway microSD? It should be 3DS memory.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
lolwot

Do you watch TV with 3D active all the time too?

I watch 3D content in 3D and 2D content in 2D. Why is it so difficult for you to believe that people playing 3D games want to play them in 3D?

I hope you don't becuase that's plain dumb. Just like playing games in 3D all the time.

I suppose you walk around all day with one eye closed? the world is a 3D place don't ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning