Black Screen of Death?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by kylehaas, May 27, 2009.

May 27, 2009

Black Screen of Death? by kylehaas at 4:29 AM (1,209 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. kylehaas
    OP

Member kylehaas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm using an Acecard 2 v2.1 and the latest version of the AKAIO firmware. Suddenly, I turned on my DS and it refuses to let me go to the Acekard menu. The NDS menu works, but it will not load the Acekard sucessfully. It's really starting to get on my nerves; it happened out of nowhere, the thing worked perfectly this morning. Now all I get is a black screen with no options at all. It does load, however, but after that I get this black screen. What should I do to fix this? I could try reformatting and using a different firmware... Any other ideas? Thanks ahead of time.

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Reformat using the Panasonic Formatter, copy the AKAIO 1.4.1 Repack version back on then get back to us.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    before you format, take the msd in/out/in/out a few times. make sure its pushed all the way down if your ak is non-spring loaded. sometimes my msd just doesn't sit right and i get this. taking it out and putting it back in slowly, straight, and until it clicks, fixes the problem.

-another world

4. kylehaas
    OP

United States
    Although I reformatted only a few months ago, I guess I'll do it again with the REPACK. Thanks for your help, guys. I really do appreciate it.

5. zero383

Canada
    I also had the black screen problem but it turned out to be a corrupted micro SD. After I reformatted, it was fine.

6. kylehaas
    OP

United States
    Got it fixed, thanks guys.
    Anyone know why this stuff happens in the first place?
    Not a big deal, but I just want to know.

7. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Just a tip, nothing can be a such and such 'of Death' unless it's made by Microsoft [​IMG]

And numerous things can cause micro SD corruption, the main one is taking it out of your computer without ejecting or removing it properly. If you don't do that, data could still be getting transfered between the micro SD, and the computer. If you take it out whilst data is still being transfered, you get corruption. This is why we always eject or safley remove hardware before taking it out, to stop any data transfering.
    Also, if you turn your DS off whilst its saving or doing something (in AKAIO, I mean) that could lead to corruption, just like on retail games.

8. kylehaas
    OP

United States
    Hmmm...
    I am really careful about when I eject my MicroSD and when I turn off the DS.
    I'm wondering if moonshell might be corrupting my MicroSD. It's always fine until I update moonshell, then it suddenly becomes slower and eventually corrupted after a week or so. I also find it odd that I cannot even use moonshell in the first place, because it after it boots up it always tells me my SD is corrupted, even though the AKAIO menu works fine.

Weird stuff, weird stuff.

9. zero383

Canada
    What brand is your micro SD?

10. kylehaas
    OP

United States
    It's an 8 gig Transcend, class 6 speed.

11. zero383

Canada
    Hmm, Transcends are one of the better brands. If you have a spare microsd somewhere maybe try it with that one for a couple of weeks and see if it corrupts as well. I have limited knowledge of Moonshell so I can't say whether or not it can be the cause.

12. kylehaas
    OP

United States
    Try experimenting with it, I really think moonshell may be directly related to my issues.
    Oh well, thanks again for your help.