BioWare Announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by luke_c, Apr 5, 2012.

Apr 5, 2012
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

BioWare have announced 'Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut', a free download which is set to expand upon and clarify the events at the end of the game, which left a lot of loyal fans feeling disappointed. The unhappy fans raised $80,000 for the Child's Play charity.

Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes.

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, "We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player."

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available free-of-charge for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC this Summer.

:arrow: Source

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Now, I'm going to lead a petition to make Square bring Aeris back to life in Final Fantasy VII.

14 people like this.
  3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Oh boy, June! By that time people won't care much about Mass Effect 3 anymore. lolololol.

Also, Love your Avatar and quote luke_c.

4. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Does this mean they couldn't eat another cupcake?

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I had no problem with the ending, but making this and releasing it free of charge?

[​IMG]

Bravo, Bioware.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are still unsatisfied, but hey; you're good with me.

3 people like this.
  6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    and they say ff7 has too many fanboys

bioware always listens to its fans but it should not listen to fanatics

7. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Bit weird that they relented and will actually changed the ending, but I can't complain. I hated the ending, this may restore some faith.

8. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    No they don't.

Anyway, I suppose this is good for those who hated the ending(s). I'm sure there are those who have to see it to believe it, though.

1 person likes this.
  9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    lesson learned? bioware fans are cray cray

10. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Maybe Square-Enix could learn something from Bioware. Final Fantasy XIII-2 desperately needs something like this.

12. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    They are basically admitting that the game has a singular ending. Even if the ending is "personalised", it is still just that, a single ending.

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Um, they didn't.

It'll probably just add more cinematics to each of the endings to see what happened.

Mind you the only way to give proper "clarification" on how your choices really impacted the ending is through another Mass Effect game, which there probably will be. Then you'll see how your choices impacted the universe.

Just gonna point out that myself and a few of my friends know a lot about Mass Effect and enjoyed the ending so that chart is rather bullshit.

I realize there were some things left unresolved but there's a reason BioWare said we should keep our saves and that this game is only "the last game for Commander Shepard" and not "the last Mass Effect game".

1 person likes this.
  14. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Lol nice Bioware. Then again I never played the Mass Effect games. Still good news I guess. XD

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Technically they're not "fixing" anything. In a way it's not broken, it just leaves a few more questions unanswered. We'll probably see a Mass Effect: The Aftermath just like Guild suggested. Haven't played to that point yet, so I won't comment on how this changes things, but good to see more content for free (regardless of opinions regarding the ending).

16. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    This will be interesting considering as it is currently, the only thing that affects the ending scenes somewhat is how many War Assets you have and obviously which 'colour' ending you chose.

I hope the above quote means that certain decisions you made throughout the entire trilogy (who you killed/romanced etc. or whether your choices affect whether Shepard lives or dies and what have you) will affect the ending too and provide closure rather than leave questions open as the original cut did.

Time will tell I guess.

Official post here

1 person likes this.
  17. DAud_IcI

Newcomer DAud_IcI Member

Hungary
    I enjoyed the ending... until I tried another one and saw the (lack of) difference.

Now this hints, that they believe what they presented is ok and is supposedly not a DLC-money driven purposeful cut-down of the story as many of us thought. (In which case they would have released something by now.) It is kind of sad, because I hoped, that the indoctrination theory was actually true and we get a proper at least 2-3 mission long extension with an actual final boss fight in the end, unlike in this one. :angry:

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    ahah but they do. listen is there but implementing is another issue.

19. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    Played it, beat it, don't care anymore.
    I don't replay games I beat.

Also, the ending was bad but I didn't really care, the only thing I hated about this game was that day 1 DLC.

20. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    No. This means that they know what comes next and they set the Mass Effect universe up for it... In order for the ME universe to continue in more games there needs to be some amount of canon organized.

As far as a final boss fight...what exactly were you hoping to take on at the end? Did you want Shepard to pew-pew a reaper with his Avenger and somehow win? Maybe they could conveniently drop a rocket launcher at the last moment a la Resident Evil?