ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have been a big fan of rpg's across a great deal of platforms ever since the 16-bit era. Nowadays I feel like I have at least played every blockbuster around (the Dragon Quests, Final Fantasies, Tales-games, et cetera).

So are there any rpg's that I wouldn't know of? Slightly obscure ones that are fun to play nevertheless? The platform on which they appeared is not particularly important (I do own most of them and if I don't the suggestion might be useful to somebody else).

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
consider . . .
Star Ocean : The Last Hope [will remind you of a Tales of game, in terms of battles]
Resonance of Fate [gives you something different]
Nier [i've seen gameplay of it , and a few people recommended it . it looks pretty good]
Devil May Cry 4 [not technically a RPG, but it is a fun hack and slash
tongue.gif
]

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Bahamut Lagoon for SNES, Nostalgia for DS, and an indie PC game called Battle of the Youstrass if you can find it
biggrin.gif
(I heard there was a remake for iDevice called Battle of the Youstrath but I haven't played that)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Breath of fire series? Beware the first and second have terrible translations for different reasons.

Chrono Trigger.

Soul Blazer / Illusion Of Gaia / Terranigma are more action-oriented games, but not that well heard of and are nice.

Earthbound FTW for the love of god.

Live A Live (the second translation project is much better).

Super Mario RPG

Secret Of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3).

Tales of Phantasia.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Legend of the Dragoon on PS1 is pretty damn good. Plays on CFW, aside from occasional lock-ups after using Dragoon Magic. Worth a look but be warned, with it being a 4 disk epic it does take up a fair chunk of memory card.

rook2King

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Elder Scrolls: Arena? & all Elder Scrolls games.
First 2 elder scrolls can be run with dosbox on literally any computer, granted it's not like 60-100 years old.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Dunno if you'd class it as an RPG as such, but Alundra on PS1 is also worth a look. It's like Zelda but with a slightly more adult storyline.

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My favorite rpg of all time is Knights of the Old Republic, for Xbox or PC.
The second one is pretty good too.

Jade Empire was a fun play.

I'm currently playing Lost Odyssey and it's pretty good.
Oblivion and Fallout are worth giving a try too.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...Good Rpgs. I can think of a few.

All Mario Rpgs.

Chrono Trigger.

Golden Sun

Kingdom Hearts.

And many others

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NIER
Ridiculously underrated.

Not much else I can think of that's underrated/unpopular but awesome.

Might take a look at my game collection later.

TornZero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't seen this one suggested yet: Quite literally any Shin Megami Tensei game.

Super Nintendo: Shin Megami Tensei, II, and if... (SMT and its sequel have English patched versions, and "if...", a game released after II but set between the first and second games is only in Japanese)

PS1/X: Persona and Persona 2 (Persona 2 comes in different parts, Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin; Innocent Sin is the first Persona game released internationally)

On PS2: Nocturne (Europe version is Lucifer's Call; set in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, you're forced to turn into a half-demon to survive and decide the planet's fate through many choices; not recommended for the light-hearted or narrow-minded), Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner 2 (both are hack-and-slash with a large strategy element to it), and Persona 3 (and its added-on release FES, with an after-story of the original game) and 4 (simple battle system but it works very well, both being combinations of high school sims and organized strategy fighting).

PSP: Persona Portable (remake of the original Persona) and Persona 3 Portable (added-on version of Persona 3, with a new main character to choose from).

On the NDS: Devil Survivor (very well made, with many endings depending on your choices throughout the game, and the battle system plays similarly to turn-based strategy games like Fire Emblem), and Strange Journey (a more futuristic game and the most recent of the series, marked as the fourth game of the main series).

I don't recommend ANY of these games for religious persons, as they may find the continuous use of demons (in the Persona series, they're referred to as Personae instead) offensive or otherwise blasphemous. Persona 3 I don't recommend for anyone who doesn't like guns, suicide (who doesn't?), or any form of self-harm, because you need to shoot yourself to summon your Personae in this game (it's still very fun).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1