PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Suikoden Tierkreis for DS is surprisingly good. For about the first third of the game the voice acting is almost unbearable, but if you can overlook that it's a great RPG.

It's a traditional turn-based RPG rather than a strategy game like the old Suikoden games, but you still get 108 characters, and about 80-90 of them can be put in your party. There's a lot of party customization since you have so many to choose from.

MrWily

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I loved sands of destruction, the skills system and characters were awesome, but it was too short and too easy.
unsure.gif

If we're talking across all platforms and not only JRPG's, I would say that Fallout 1 and 2 are the best RPG's I've ever played. And since I've been quite the pc gamer growing up I would also recommend the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series. Maybe Neverwinter Nights as well, it's got quite the cozy feel to it. And this game called "Silver" which I remember to be awesome, but haven't gotten a working copy of since I lost it years ago.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PeregrinFig said:
Suikoden Tierkreis for DS is surprisingly good. For about the first third of the game the voice acting is almost unbearable, but if you can overlook that it's a great RPG.

It's a traditional turn-based RPG rather than a strategy game like the old Suikoden games, but you still get 108 characters, and about 80-90 of them can be put in your party. There's a lot of party customization since you have so many to choose from.

Voice acting is pretty good throughout.
What's bad about it? If you say the main character talking too fast, i'll punch you in the face.

PeregrinFig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
PeregrinFig said:

Voice acting is pretty good throughout.
What's bad about it? If you say the main character talking too fast, i'll punch you in the face.
There were a few characters with horrible voice actors IMO. I forget his name, but I think it started with an M, and he controlled the second town until you found his stash of stolen goods in the local mine? He had some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard. There were a few others I couldn't stand either.

kupo3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Xenosaga Trilogy
Earthbound & Mother 3
Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross
Skies or Arcadia
Grandia 2 (If possible try the Dreamcast version. The PS2/PC ports are buggy)
Vagrant Story

PeregrinFig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kupo3000 said:
Xenosaga Trilogy
Earthbound/Mother 3
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Skies or Arcadia
Grandia 2 (If possible try the Dreamcast version. The PS2/PC ports are buggy)
Never played Xenosaga, but I highly recommend the rest. Grandia II can get mind-numbingly repetitive (and this is from someone who plays a TON of turn-based RPGs) but it's still a good game. Skies of Arcadia is one of my overall favorite games.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rudra no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudras) Super Famicom

I still have the official cart too and it was the last SFC game I ever owned.

Magic Knight Rayearth (both the SFC and Saturn versions are good but only the Saturn version is in English although there's a translation for the SFC version)

Sailor Moon Another Story (Fans of the anime have long heard of this and most likely played it on a SNES/SFC emulator or official cart if they have it but for the rest I doubt they heard of it, it has a number of translations).

Metal Max series (Metal Max Returns for the SFC and Metal Saga for the PS2 are the best in the series, Metal Saga was localized but is close to being a bit rare these days and Returns has translations)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't think of anything super old but here's some...

- Lost Odyssey: Surprisingly very good. I was actually shocked when I kept playing it, being the typical JRPG hater that I am. Falls for a lot of cliches that JRPGs have in terms of plot and characters and battle system is rather old fashioned but I guess that kinda adds to the charm.

- Crimson Gem Saga: Nice PSP RPG if you want some nice, classic turn-based RPGing.

- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (on the GBC): Remembered playing this like all hell as a kid. Don't know how good it is now but it was fun as hell back then.

- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood: I really don't see why so many people hate this game. I mean they did what they could with the limited plot possibilities of Sonic (although I'm sure the good cartoon, not the shitty one, would have some worthwhile material) and the battle system was pretty enjoyable to an extent.

- ASH: The translation isn't released yet but from what I played, it's pretty good. Great graphics for the DS and it can be rather challenging too. Once the translation hits the public you should definitely try.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria on the PS2 is great
As are the Shadow Hearts games (if you only play one play the second Shadow Hearts Covenant)
Radiata Stories was ace especially with it's humour.
and maybe...
Magic Pengel The Quest for Colour?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria on the PS2 is great
As are the Shadow Hearts games (if you only play one play the second Shadow Hearts Covenant)
Radiata Stories was ace especially with it's humour.
and maybe...
Magic Pengel The Quest for Colour?

Oh man. I remember Magic Pengel... LOVED that game when I was younger. Reminded me of Persona and Pokemon...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess