Best RPG Genre

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well for me...it just has to have a good story and I won't care about the genre.

But if I had to pick, action RPG.
Tales games have one of my favorite combat systems of any game.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to agree with action RPGs as well. It's nice to leaves the waiting and lack of time passage behind when you get into a battle, it switches the focus from "overarching story you can complete at your leisure" to "holy shit gotta' do something about these monsters right this minute or they'll kill us".

Totoy_Kamote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmn... me too.. i think action RPGs are more fun/exciting to play...

and ARPGs has alot of A smashing!
biggrin.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Simulation/Strategy RPGs that mimic the Tactics Ogre formula. Something about micromanaging all the little units never gets old ♥.
I also love the old turn based JRPGs with charming stories like FFIX ♥.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My favourite RPG atm is Mass Effect series
I usually like medieval RPGs such as Fable etc. but oblivion failed to keep my interest.
Turn based RPGs are fun too but for some reason, on a console they just seem a bit overdone like they belong on a handheld or something

Totoy_Kamote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DeadLocked said:
My favourite RPG atm is Mass Effect series
I usually like medieval RPGs such as Fable etc. but oblivion failed to keep my interest.
Turn based RPGs are fun too but for some reason, on a console they just seem a bit overdone like they belong on a handheld or something

i didnt like oblivion too..

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Depends on the console. If it's on the DS, turn based or strategy RPG's, on the PSP, strategy and action RPGs (the PSP has a surprisingly good amount of strategy RPGs), for the consoles, I'd say action, but any is fine except for the strategy, strategy RPGs aren't the best on consoles. The PC has everything.

In general, I like action (Tales, KH), classic turn based (Final Fantasy I-X), or fusions of these between other genres (fighting, music RPGs)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My "best" genre I have yet to see done (primarily as it would cost a fortune and tax hardware insanely).

Time/place does not really matter to me with the possible exception of steampunk

I will take the levels/dungeons and item/character complexity of a roguelike
I will take the 3d of most western RPGs, I do not get along that well with isometric/fixed point.
I will take the crafting of the most fiddly of MMORPGS (see FF11), if you could work a magic system along the same lines then I will not say no.
I will take the in game economy of the trade/space simulators (or indeed if it could be done a proper MMO game)
I will take the combat of a fighting game (maybe simplified a bit/without the 20 button combos) although if you want to give me a turn based option (a la might and magic or fallout 3 or perhaps more recent RPGs like Eternal Sonata) I will not say no.
I will take the story of 10 games and roll them into one. I suppose a mention of something like dungeon keeper or savage is worth it at this point- RTS options.
If you could pull it off on a decent set of controls (keyboard and mouse works but I assume we all see where the stuff like we are seeing on the consoles could be heading if it actually worked).

Do not get me wrong I have spent more hours than might be sensible to cop to outside these circles playing examples of all the subgenres and seen as games are well games I do not need a life alternative as my list seems to be shaping up to be and if you have an interesting set of mechanics (last one to really turn my head was resonance of fate) I will be there.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
My "best" genre I have yet to see done (primarily as it would cost a fortune and tax hardware insanely).

Time/place does not really matter to me with the possible exception of steampunk

I will take the levels/dungeons and item/character complexity of a roguelike
I will take the 3d of most western RPGs, I do not get along that well
I will take the crafting of the most fiddly of MMORPGS (see FF11), if you could work a magic system along the same lines then I will not say no.
I will take the in game economy of the trade/space simulators (or indeed if it could be done a proper MMO game)
I will take the combat of a fighting game (maybe simplified a bit/without the 20 button combos) although if you want to give me a turn based option (a la might and magic or fallout 3 or perhaps more recent RPGs like Eternal Sonata) I will not say no.
I will take the story of 10 games and roll them into one. I suppose a mention of something like dungeon keeper or savage is worth it at this point- RTS options.
If you could pull it off on a decent set of controls (keyboard and mouse works but I assume we all see where the stuff like we are seeing on the consoles could be heading if it actually worked).

Do not get me wrong I have spent more hours than might be sensible to cop to outside these circles playing examples of all the subgenres and seen as games are well games I do not need a life alternative as my list seems to be shaping up to be and if you have an interesting set of mechanics (last one to really turn my head was resonance of fate) I will be there.
I actually had a file where I listed out ideas for a great game (using FreeMind to show connections and relations) sort of like that, but I can't find it now, and that makes me sad.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm open to any type of rpg but I do lean more towards turn based rpg...I'm old school
and a good combination of story and strategy

a perfect RPG for me would be a mix of FF10 and FF13 combat system, with the free roaming of FF12, and a story as epic as FF10

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dont really have time to play too many RPG's any more, but when I was in high school I loved the turn based JRPG's.

I remember getting the first Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest for free with a year subscription to Nintendo Power. I was hooked instantly.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like RPG's like Oblivion or Fallout a lot. So a giant open world where I can explore everything anytime, no restrictions to where I wander.
I like them a lot too for their replay ability thanks to a giant community behind the games.

Turnbased RPG's like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem really amuse me too, especially the last series is wonderful.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are still my all time favorite RPG's. So I guess turn based JRPG is my favorite.
I also really enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout 3/nv tho.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST: Have you ever tried Dark Cloud 1 or 2 for the PS2? It has quite a few aspects of what you want in a game. Randomized dungeons in 3D. A pretty complex crafting system, and simple combos. One of my most near and dear games. Resonance of Fate almost caused my head to unscrew.

On Topic: I like turn based strategy games such as FF Tactics. If we are talking about the consoles, then ARPGs do me just fine. Some exceptions being Borderlands, Fallout, and Oblivion. So much time has been lost in Oblivion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up