Best RPG Genre

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I love most RPG's, but I can't stand 'rogue' games or whatever they're called, like Shiren The Wanderer and etc. The controls piss me off, the whole 'random dungeon' aspect pisses me off too.

I've also developed a disliking for games such as Oblivion and Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, they're decent enough. But there seems to be a lot of wandering about doing largely sod all, and the open aspect of the plot means there's rarely any truly epic moments like you get in a more set-in-stone storyline such as FFX. I look forward to grand twists in the plot and epic moments of bravery and the like. You don't get that in open RPG's all that often.

My favourite type is hard to pin down though. FF7 is probably my all time fave since it has possibly the most epic plot twist in rpg history (even though it wasn't the first to do it, I never saw it coming and it really did shock me as a kid), but the Tales series is close behind. I'm LOVING Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition right now because it's the rare kind that allows for open gameplay and still has a solid plot holding it all together with twists and emotion. Mass Effect is also a fave. I've had a liking of strategy RPG's ever since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance cost me well in excess of a hundred hours of my life. Overall I guess it has to be the turn based classic style though, given how many hours of my life have been spent on the Final Fantasy series alone, and that's before you take into account the multitude of other classics such as Dragon Quest, Pokemon, etc.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ARPGs and RTSRPGs all the way. 'Normal' RPG's get boring really fast, if all you have to do is sit through yet another battle, where you can select one attack, go out for a walk (IRL), come back to the game and still be on the same screen.

D

Deleted User

Goli said:
I am r4ymond said:
Since I liked DQIX, I'm guessing that I like turn-based ACTION RPG?

Oh, and I also like RPGs like PS0 and FF, especially Crystal Chronicles.
DQIX isn't an action RPG, it's just a turn-based one.
The ones you mention afterwards are, however.

Raiser said:
QUOTE(SylvWolf @ Nov 5 2010, 03:18 AM) Gotta be the classic turn-based. The older Final Fantasy games, the DQ series, Etrian Odyssey... I love that type of game.
Agreed with this.

+ the dynamic hack 'n slash type games such as Kingdom Hearts or the soon-to-be-released Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
Keep dreaming.
rofl.gif

Oh and brandonspikes, it's etc, not ect. It comes from the latin "et cetera" which means "and the rest".

I'm well aware, I made the post when I was groggy from waking up, I make spelling errors sometimes too!

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
FFX is my favourite RPG so I guess turn based JRPG.
I like ARP, SRPG, text RPG, WRPG... any RPG really lol but FFX is like my staple, the closer a game is to it's formula the more I like it.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I prefer turn-based JRPGs. Action-RPGs just aren't fun to me, and the only WRPGs I'll play are MMOs, most of the time. SRPGs are fun too, but I tend to not think of games like Fire Emblem as RPGs at all. They're just part of the Strategy genre to me.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PeregrinFig said:
I prefer turn-based JRPGs. Action-RPGs just aren't fun to me, and the only WRPGs I'll play are MMOs, most of the time. SRPGs are fun too, but I tend to not think of games like Fire Emblem as RPGs at all. They're just part of the Strategy genre to me.

Hold it right there partner! Fire Emblem is as pure as a Turnbased RPG can be! You have levels, classes and items, so I don't really see how you can deny Fire Emblem as an RPG.

Advance Wars, that's something else, there I would have to agree with you that it's a pure Strategy game, there are hardly any RPG elements in those games.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thug4L1f3 said:
FFX is my favourite RPG so I guess turn based JRPG.
I like ARP, SRPG, text RPG, WRPG... any RPG really lol but FFX is like my staple, the closer a game is to it's formula the more I like it.
Did you like that LotR RPG then?

EDIT: P.S. Happy birthday

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see... My favorite games of all time were Megaman Battle Networks 5-6 and the M&L series, soo...

Action RPG.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1