Gaming Best Multimedia Linux Distro?

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just curious, but what is the best Linux distro in terms of multimedia (ie: watching videos online (Youtube) or offline (AVI, MKV, OGM, etc.), listening to music, etc.)?

I used to have Ubuntu, but got rid of that after experiencing many, many problems when it came to these tasks. For instance, if I was listening to music and opened up a Youtube video, both the music player and Firefox would lock up. Another problem was watching subtitled videos (hard- and soft-subbed); the subtitles would render incorrectly in every video player I tried.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ubuntu works, you just need to install the correct packages, for instance once you install flashplayer-nonfree (or something like that) youtube works fine, infact i watch youtube (and other *tube sites i can't mention here
wink.gif
) almost every day on ubuntu.

as for other vidoes and dvds, you there are packages for all that too

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Linux mint shipped with the nice AV stuff and being ubuntu/debian based made it all the better.

Failing that I was impressed with the stock puppy linux and even more so the custom builds (puplets as they were called).

Other than that have a look in the realms of home theatre distros like XBMC ( http://xbmc.org/download/ ) or some of the mythTV frontends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.