Best Multimedia Linux Distro?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hachibei, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Hachibei
    OP

Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2007
    Canada
    Canada
    Just curious, but what is the best Linux distro in terms of multimedia (ie: watching videos online (Youtube) or offline (AVI, MKV, OGM, etc.), listening to music, etc.)?

I used to have Ubuntu, but got rid of that after experiencing many, many problems when it came to these tasks. For instance, if I was listening to music and opened up a Youtube video, both the music player and Firefox would lock up. Another problem was watching subtitled videos (hard- and soft-subbed); the subtitles would render incorrectly in every video player I tried.

2. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    ubuntu works, you just need to install the correct packages, for instance once you install flashplayer-nonfree (or something like that) youtube works fine, infact i watch youtube (and other *tube sites i can't mention here [​IMG] ) almost every day on ubuntu.

as for other vidoes and dvds, you there are packages for all that too

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Linux mint shipped with the nice AV stuff and being ubuntu/debian based made it all the better.

Failing that I was impressed with the stock puppy linux and even more so the custom builds (puplets as they were called).

Other than that have a look in the realms of home theatre distros like XBMC ( http://xbmc.org/download/ ) or some of the mythTV frontends.