Best Multimedia Linux Distro?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hachibei, Jan 12, 2009.

Jan 12, 2009

Best Multimedia Linux Distro? by Hachibei at 2:38 AM (1,064 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Hachibei
    OP

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Just curious, but what is the best Linux distro in terms of multimedia (ie: watching videos online (Youtube) or offline (AVI, MKV, OGM, etc.), listening to music, etc.)?

I used to have Ubuntu, but got rid of that after experiencing many, many problems when it came to these tasks. For instance, if I was listening to music and opened up a Youtube video, both the music player and Firefox would lock up. Another problem was watching subtitled videos (hard- and soft-subbed); the subtitles would render incorrectly in every video player I tried.

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    ubuntu works, you just need to install the correct packages, for instance once you install flashplayer-nonfree (or something like that) youtube works fine, infact i watch youtube (and other *tube sites i can't mention here [​IMG] ) almost every day on ubuntu.

as for other vidoes and dvds, you there are packages for all that too

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Linux mint shipped with the nice AV stuff and being ubuntu/debian based made it all the better.

Failing that I was impressed with the stock puppy linux and even more so the custom builds (puplets as they were called).

Other than that have a look in the realms of home theatre distros like XBMC ( http://xbmc.org/download/ ) or some of the mythTV frontends.