Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Spectro87, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Spectro87
    OP

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    What is the best Linux OS nowadays and why?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. s-arash

s-arash GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    for what?

if you are looking for home/personal use , i think ubuntu is good for you

3. Spectro87
    OP

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    Yes, just for personal use. I hear that a lot of people are hopping off the Ubuntu bandwagon but I'm not really sure why.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. mrSmiles

mrSmiles Dundunduuuun

Oct 27, 2002
    Canada
    Ubuntu has too much bloat currently.

There is no "best" linux distro my suggestion is go to distrowatch pick out several different linux distros that you might find interesting and try them out from either a live install or better from a VM.

Margen67 and Spectro87 like this.
  5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I've tried a good chunk before but I've decided to settle for Elementary OS when it comes to a Linux distro, it's light-weight, clean, organised and simple. It also has a Mac-look to it.

Jhyrachy likes this.
  6. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    As of a year ago I would have said Ubuntu, or Mint... That said, I haven't messed with either lately.

7. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Ubunbtu or Debian has the best support and what not but I personally like fedora and steamos seams interesting

Margen67 likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you're casual, go for Ubuntu, if you're advanced, go for Mint, if you're sensible, stop bothering with Linux. ;O;

the_randomizer and zoogie like this.
  9. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Right now, I am using Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on my laptop with Windows 8.1 for a few games that don't run well on Wine(Trying to get the best from this crappy CPU, I could run XFCE, but LXDE/Lubuntu's CPU usage is just a little bit lower.), so far so good, Lubuntu is a bit rough on the edge with my laptop, but everything else works fine.(Example: Since it got both internal speakers and a HDMI output, it outputs by default on the HDMI output, so I need to get PulseAudio + its GUI, pavucontrol, to fix that)

I recommend using Ubuntu or Linux Mint, Ubuntu is getting kinda bloated and Mint works out of the box anyway, so I always pick the latter. Fedora is pretty interesting too, but there isn't a Long Term Support release, so I don't think I will ever use it as my main OS.

10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    For just casual use, I'd recommend Mint. The MATE interface is fairly lightweight and there isn't much bloat. It's built on Ubuntu, so it has the compatibility without the bloat. If you plan to use it for gaming, you'll want to study up on WINE or just stick to Windows.

11. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Openelec is intersting...

Mint is good for all around use, many flavors for different hardware limitations.

Slackware is also nice, but takes some treaking.

Debian, which is the base for Mint, Ubuntu, etc. Again, takes some work and learning, but has package manager and is the easiest distro probably that there is to build your own environment from the ground up.

Also check out the Lakka beta!

12. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    "Best distro" is just like "best texteditor" (which evidently is neither emacs nor vim, it's nano duh).

If you want to get a deeper insight and want to have choice go Gentoo.
    Short of "Linux from Scratch" Gentoo is the leanest system I know of. The choice part is sadly it's biggest downside, too, as there aren't real preconfigured images and the first setup takes ages.
    As a result you can get theOS just the way you want it (optimized for your hardware, too).

If you are looking for an easy setup go Mint. Never used it myself,, but heard mostly positive feedback.

In regards to "People turning their back on Ubuntu": Besides getting blown up with stuff not everyone wants Ubuntu went full retard #fullMcIntosh full systemd.
    Depending on whom you ask systemd is either the bright future or an evil cancer that must be nuked from orbit (and any remainders killed with fire). Much anger and shitflinging, and the rational arguments are quite complex (see e.g. http://judecnelson.blogspot.de/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html).

Yeah, sensible people don't want to make the NSA work overtime :P

OE is only meant to run XBMC KODI though.

13. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    12 posts have past by and no one's been reprimanded by some autist to use "GNU/Linux" instead of Linux. This must be a new record :P

Lubuntu is good for me. It works to Linux's strengths: being a lightweight, small, fast, no-nonsense distro to do programming stuff with.

Margen67 and matpower like this.
  14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    I'd recommend Mint over Ubuntu any day. It comes with a bunch of stuff you are going to have to install anyway which can be a struggle for a novice user.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Nobody wants to spy on you, you're all boring people.

Aside from the fact that all this NSA fearmongering gibberish is blown out of proportion and unrealistic, I dread to think of the plight these poor neckbeard NSA fellers have to go through somewhere in a cellar whenever their crawlerbots wake them up from their slumber when some dumb broad tells her equally mentally impaired friend that she "had a blast shopping today". Fuck me, I choose death.

Margen67, Tom Bombadildo and bkifft like this.
  16. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Of course they want to, especially if it's automatic and payed by you. Especially because, you know, they're actually doing it and have been doing for a decade. And if you trust them and you government now, well, things change.

They also have your dick pics.

As for best Linux distro, I'm partial to Suse with KDE. Just try a few in a VM and see what you like.

17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I prefer either Debian stability a safety, or Fedora chaos uncertainty with its bells and whistles.
    But normally I go the Debian way.

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Most people I talk to would say ArchLinux. No bloat, you get to set it up exactly the way you want it from the ground up, but it takes some effort.
    Personally I've always liked Ubuntu though.

matpower likes this.
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm totally fine with crawlerbots crawling the web. No, they don't have my dick pics for two reasons - 1. I don't have any dick pics because I'm not an idiot with low self-esteem who has to take photos of his cock to feel better about himself and 2. They wouldn't investigate me anyways unless I've been flagged as a suspicious individual which I might've been because naive and gullible people on the Internet who think they're so terribly interesting that the government spies on them infuriate me so much that I just want to blow up with the force of a billion atom bombs. There isn't a hard drive large enough to store the entire Internet, guys - it's just not happening.

20. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    I usually use Debian jessie as a base, but if you just want something that actually works... try Linux Mint