Best Linux OS?

Spectro87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, just for personal use. I hear that a lot of people are hopping off the Ubuntu bandwagon but I'm not really sure why.

Reactions: Margen67

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ubuntu has too much bloat currently.

There is no "best" linux distro my suggestion is go to distrowatch pick out several different linux distros that you might find interesting and try them out from either a live install or better from a VM.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've tried a good chunk before but I've decided to settle for Elementary OS when it comes to a Linux distro, it's light-weight, clean, organised and simple. It also has a Mac-look to it.

Reactions: Jhyrachy

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Right now, I am using Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on my laptop with Windows 8.1 for a few games that don't run well on Wine(Trying to get the best from this crappy CPU, I could run XFCE, but LXDE/Lubuntu's CPU usage is just a little bit lower.), so far so good, Lubuntu is a bit rough on the edge with my laptop, but everything else works fine.(Example: Since it got both internal speakers and a HDMI output, it outputs by default on the HDMI output, so I need to get PulseAudio + its GUI, pavucontrol, to fix that)

I recommend using Ubuntu or Linux Mint, Ubuntu is getting kinda bloated and Mint works out of the box anyway, so I always pick the latter. Fedora is pretty interesting too, but there isn't a Long Term Support release, so I don't think I will ever use it as my main OS.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For just casual use, I'd recommend Mint. The MATE interface is fairly lightweight and there isn't much bloat. It's built on Ubuntu, so it has the compatibility without the bloat. If you plan to use it for gaming, you'll want to study up on WINE or just stick to Windows.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Openelec is intersting...

Mint is good for all around use, many flavors for different hardware limitations.

Slackware is also nice, but takes some treaking.

Debian, which is the base for Mint, Ubuntu, etc. Again, takes some work and learning, but has package manager and is the easiest distro probably that there is to build your own environment from the ground up.

Also check out the Lakka beta!

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"Best distro" is just like "best texteditor" (which evidently is neither emacs nor vim, it's nano duh).

If you want to get a deeper insight and want to have choice go Gentoo.
Short of "Linux from Scratch" Gentoo is the leanest system I know of. The choice part is sadly it's biggest downside, too, as there aren't real preconfigured images and the first setup takes ages.
As a result you can get theOS just the way you want it (optimized for your hardware, too).

If you are looking for an easy setup go Mint. Never used it myself,, but heard mostly positive feedback.

In regards to "People turning their back on Ubuntu": Besides getting blown up with stuff not everyone wants Ubuntu went full retard #fullMcIntosh full systemd.
Depending on whom you ask systemd is either the bright future or an evil cancer that must be nuked from orbit (and any remainders killed with fire). Much anger and shitflinging, and the rational arguments are quite complex (see e.g. http://judecnelson.blogspot.de/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html).

If you're casual, go for Ubuntu, if you're advanced, go for Mint, if you're sensible, stop bothering with Linux. ;O;
Yeah, sensible people don't want to make the NSA work overtime :P

Openelec is intersting...
OE is only meant to run XBMC KODI though.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
12 posts have past by and no one's been reprimanded by some autist to use "GNU/Linux" instead of Linux. This must be a new record :P

Lubuntu is good for me. It works to Linux's strengths: being a lightweight, small, fast, no-nonsense distro to do programming stuff with.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, sensible people don't want to make the NSA work overtime :P
Nobody wants to spy on you, you're all boring people.

Aside from the fact that all this NSA fearmongering gibberish is blown out of proportion and unrealistic, I dread to think of the plight these poor neckbeard NSA fellers have to go through somewhere in a cellar whenever their crawlerbots wake them up from their slumber when some dumb broad tells her equally mentally impaired friend that she "had a blast shopping today". Fuck me, I choose death.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nobody wants to spy on you, you're all boring people.
Aside from the fact that all this NSA fearmongering gibberish is blown out of proportion and unrealistic
Of course they want to, especially if it's automatic and payed by you. Especially because, you know, they're actually doing it and have been doing for a decade. And if you trust them and you government now, well, things change.

They also have your dick pics.

As for best Linux distro, I'm partial to Suse with KDE. Just try a few in a VM and see what you like.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Most people I talk to would say ArchLinux. No bloat, you get to set it up exactly the way you want it from the ground up, but it takes some effort.
Personally I've always liked Ubuntu though.

Reactions: matpower

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Of course they want to, especially if it's automatic and payed by you.
I'm totally fine with crawlerbots crawling the web. No, they don't have my dick pics for two reasons - 1. I don't have any dick pics because I'm not an idiot with low self-esteem who has to take photos of his cock to feel better about himself and 2. They wouldn't investigate me anyways unless I've been flagged as a suspicious individual which I might've been because naive and gullible people on the Internet who think they're so terribly interesting that the government spies on them infuriate me so much that I just want to blow up with the force of a billion atom bombs. There isn't a hard drive large enough to store the entire Internet, guys - it's just not happening.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts