Gaming Best JRPG series

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mcr619619 said:
thanks for it... i'd played one FE on the GBA, the official english one... got bored on it, just played 3 battle, and don't like it, maybe i'll take a look on it some day, what game should i start?

Well, my favorite one was on Gamecube, Path of Radiance, but there's Shadow Dragon on DS, I love tactic games without cheats cause I enjoy challenges. I think if you see it at that aspect, you'll actually enjoy it
smile.gif

Rayster

Trophies
XP
Country
phoenixgoddess27 said:
mcr619619 said:
thanks for it... i'd played one FE on the GBA, the official english one... got bored on it, just played 3 battle, and don't like it, maybe i'll take a look on it some day, what game should i start?

Well, my favorite one was on Gamecube, Path of Radiance, but there's Shadow Dragon on DS, I love tactic games without cheats cause I enjoy challenges. I think if you see it at that aspect, you'll actually enjoy it
smile.gif

Same here, I love the Fire Emblem Series. The Sequel on Wii which is the Radiant Dawn is what I'll be playing next.

Ashley Riot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest, obviously!

Mother/EarthBound and Shin Megami Tensei would come right after... and, in a more personal way, the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre Saga.

Suji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Someone mentioned the Mana Khemia series--it wasn't THAT great. XD

I thought this thread was gonna talk about the JRPGs that aren't as well known. (Damn, I was looking for new stuff to play. >_> Any recommendations?)

Anyway, I pretty much love everything, so I don't know where to start. So I'll mention a few I didn't see at all in this thread (I think). Golden Sun? (Nevermind. Saw one!) Terranigma? Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3? From what I remember, Secret of Mana was a really basic storyline, but back in the time, it was pretty damn awesome. XD Especially to play with friends.

I enjoyed the FF series, but my favorite is FFVI. Really in-depth storyline, has a love story (though it's not the main focus, which makes a good balance), awesome characters, etc.
biggrin.gif

And Chrono Trigger is awesome. Anyone heard of Obsidian thinking of making a sequel for it? I'm not sure if it's a rumor or not, but... god, they'd crush my childhood dreams.

OOH, MARIO RPG.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Suji said:
What? Someone mentioned the Mana Khemia series--it wasn't THAT great. XDI listed all my known JRPG.

Suji said:
I thought this thread was gonna talk about the JRPGs that aren't as well known.Yep, but only about series, not individual games.

Suji said:
Terranigma? Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3?
Those are not JRPG, but Adventure games.
JRPG is Turn-based battles.

Suji
Anyone heard of Obsidian thinking of making a sequel for it?
I don't know that game.
Is it a japanese RPG style? Which console/developer ? (I'll add it to my list, page2, if it's one of them)

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Cyan said:
Suji said:
Terranigma? Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3?Those are not JRPG, but Adventure games.

SujiAnyone heard of Obsidian thinking of making a sequel for it?
I don't know that game.
Is it a japanese RPG style? Which console/developer ? (I'll add it to my list, page2, if it's one of them)
So the games of the Tales series aren't JRPGs?
JRPG is not turn-based battles only.
Obsidian is a developer, not a game.
Also, in your first post you mentioned the Atelier series, but I think the Iris and Mana Khemia aren't separate series, they're all part of the same one. Would you consider Rorona and Totori to be their own series?
tongue.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, tales of are JRPG
tongue.gif

(different battle style, I agree ^^)

I guess it's more the feeling which determine the game genre.
But Seiken Densetsu are not JRPG at all, they are ARPG (you don't have specific battle screen)

About Khemia and Iris, I classified them differently than the other games from the series because they are more focus on the story/battles/exploring.

Atelier Judie, Rorona, etc. (and some other I didn't play yet), are more axed on the alchemy than fighting and exploring with an evolving storyline.
Rorona has JRPG battles system (really bad one though, like if PS3 didn't have the power to do better 3D, and show only 1 enemy at once), but I didn't find them as the main part of the game.
Well, I didn't play Rorona a lot, but I found the beginning disappointing as I was waiting for a RPG game like Iris.

But, maybe later in the story it change ?

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I've always thought that JRPGs includes Turn-based RPGs, Action RPGs, et al. Only they're developed by Japanese devs. And just because it doesn't have a separate battle screen doesn't make something an Action RPG... Chrono Trigger doesn't. Final Fantasy XII doesn't either.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Chrono Trigger has a battle screen (not a different screen).

But you are right for FFXII
lecture.gif

Damn, that's not what define a JRPG then
tongue.gif

I have to find another way to determine the genre ! But It might be only the game feeling when you play it
unsure.gif

If jRPG are also tactical, adventure, strategy, then I would have more to add to my list.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Suji said:
Terranigma? Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3?

JRPGs just stand for Japanese Role Playing Games. They don't have to be turn based, it's just basically any RPG that came out of Japan. If we were talking about our favorite turn-based RPG series then the title would be "Best TBRPG series".

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for me "RPG" were the usual ones (not tactical, not turn based, not something needed a prefix), So I thought/listed only the games without a prefix.
But I agree that they are all from japan.

Suji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
I listed all my known JRPG.
Yep, but only about series, not individual games.
I don't know that game.
Ah, I see. >_>
JRPG is not limited to only turn-based battles. You're missing out.
As for being limited to only series, damn that sucks. XP Secret of Mana would still count. There've been enough spin-offs and all.
Obsidian is an American developer stationed in California. They've made games like NWN2 (and expansions), KotOR2, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the info about Obsidian.

I thought Vegas was an add-on for FallOut3 made by Bethesda only, but it seems it's a full new episode. I'm a little late in the gaming news
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...