Best games for new gamer

DERiVER

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think about buying 2DS XL. Or PSVita but I'm like 80% on 2DS.
What games would provide me with best new gamer experience?
I have had practically no exposure to typical Japanese, Nintendo game. Never ever any Zelda, Mario, Persona, Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross. Those are brands only from 1st page of opencritic.
I'm not too sophisticated, I'm not up to date with trends. I'm looking for a good time. Most recently I played Witcher 3 and loved it.

elpapadelospollitos

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For dabbling in the Nintendo world of the 3DS, I recommend Super mario 3D land (3D platformer), Metroid samus returns (metroidvania), Legend of zelda ocarina of time (adventure), Luigi's mansion (adventure), Smash bros (fighting).

Of course there are plenty of worthwhile games apart from Nintendo realm's like Shantae and the pirate curse (metroidvania), Shovel knight (platformer), Monster hunter 4 (action-rpg, not really witcher 3, but it's something), Resident evil revelations (horror).

If everything else fails, you can't go wrong with Mario kart 7.

Reactions: CoolMe and DERiVER

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think about buying 2DS XL. Or PSVita but I'm like 80% on 2DS.
Is there something in particular that you have already seen that is leading you to this decision? There is nothing like Witcher 3 for either of those platforms. I guess Monster Hunter is fairly popular? (You might even be able to buy it cheaply from the eShop if Capcom has another big sale between now and the end of March.)

Reactions: DERiVER

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a galaxy 3DS XL. Looks amazing and you can play 3D games.
Even without 3D effect, there are cheat codes to enable the parallax screen to improve sharpness in 2D games.
Something to consider.

DERiVER

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Buy a galaxy 3DS XL. Looks amazing and you can play 3D games.
Even without 3D effect, there are cheat codes to enable the parallax screen to improve sharpness in 2D games.
Something to consider.
I don't want to get into this topic. I live in Poland. NN2DSXL is expensive enough.

Is there something in particular that you have already seen that is leading you to this decision? There is nothing like Witcher 3 for either of those platforms. I guess Monster Hunter is fairly popular? (You might even be able to buy it cheaply from the eShop if Capcom has another big sale between now and the end of March.)
I'm aware of 3ds limitations'. The Witcher 3 barely runs on Switch ;)
I don't expect the same dynamics, immersion level etc... just similar feeling. I thought about:
  • Fire Emblem
  • Bravely Default
  • Dragon Quest
  • Radiant Historia
in general I'd say - Nintendo! Show me the greatness of Japanese entertainment.

and of course Pokemon. Also I'm big fan of remakes or... good-enough remasters so I'd like to try Xenoblade Chronicles.
and let's assume that games are for free, I just want to get some condensed info and of course - opinions of real people, not professional reviewers earning most income from publishers ;).

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't expect the same dynamics, immersion level etc... just similar feeling. I thought about:
  • Fire Emblem
  • Bravely Default
  • Dragon Quest
  • Radiant Historia
in general I'd say - Nintendo! Show me the greatness of Japanese entertainment.

and of course Pokemon. Also I'm big fan of remakes or... good-enough remasters so I'd like to try Xenoblade Chronicles.
None of those are anything like Witcher 3. I can imagine you quickly getting bored and frustrated with them, and that you might be much better off with a Switch or a Steam Deck.

I assume you have a PC, so why not start off with something vaguely similar there and see if you enjoy it? One of the old Final Fantasy games, maybe?

let's assume that games are for free
Discussion of piracy is not permitted here.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And there's of course the SMT, Zero Escape, Professor Layton & Ace Attorney games. And the whole DS library if you plan to install CFW and /or getting a flashcart. As well as the entire GBA library if you plan to use Open_agb_firm or NSUI (for other VC system releases too) .. And many choices where it comes to emulation..
It's your choice to go with either systems, both are great..

Reactions: DERiVER

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Discussion of piracy is not permitted here.
as far as i know, and from the last time i looked at the rules, that's incorrect, you're allowed to talk about piracy as long as it isn't sharing WHERE to get pirated content
even then i feel like that's a lenient rule considering how i've seen people dodge the rule like "google "that something site"

TBBrownies

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recommend "Tales of the Abyss", great JRPG, good story and combat system.
If you only play the main story, it takes you est. 30-50 hours!

Legas3_14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Super Mario 3D Land is a good start

I recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns if you are interested in platformers
Also A Link's Between worlds is a great Zelda game and it's very accessible

Reactions: CoolMe

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I assume you're young and haven't played many retro games, is that right? i'll suggest emulators and such after mentioning a few 3DS games. Oh, i just noticed you said 2DS. I strongly suggest you try and save for a 3DS instead, i don't think they're much more expensive and the 3D effect is unique to this console, you (sorta) can't emulate it, and we might never get another 3D screen on a console again. Just sayin, i'm from argentina so i'd understand the i can't afford it

Anyways, mario kart 7 is wonderful, i'd say one of the best 3DS games that everyone could/should like. Then you have pokemon, i'd recommend USUM>ORAS>XY in that order. If you like RPGs, bravely default is a very nice one, really captures the feel of the old final fantasy games IMO. Zelda link between worlds is also a wonderful zelda game that captures the classic (link to the past, and similar) zelda feel, while doing something new and looking very pretty. If you like kirby there's a few games to try too, you know what to expect from kirby, the 3DS games are more of the same. You have a few mario party games if you're into minigames and playing in short bursts or with friends. Luigi's mansion is a lovely and unique game, definitely worth playing too.

I could name a few more games but those are enough to get you started i guess. I'll talk about emulation ports and retro games now. You have the entire DS catalog, it's huge! I personally would reccomend Disgaea, it's a great RPG, often overlooked.
Sonic. There's ports for 1,2,CD and reciently even Mania. I suggest you try at least sonic 1 and 2, which have official and easily available ports. There's 3D ports of other classic games like kirby's adventure , outrun and shinobi 3. I'd understand if a younger gamer doesn't like those games (specially outrun) but it's worth trying them just to see them in 3D. You also have ports for DOOM, Quake, cave story and some other games, total classics you should at least try, many also in stereo3D. And then there's emulators for all the retro consoles. No bells and whistles there, no stereo 3D and such, but 3DS can emulate anything from NES (megaman, battletoads and double dragon), SNES (earthbound, chrono trigger), Genesis (sonic, zool, quackshot), GB (pokemon,kirby,zelda,medarot), GBA (sonic advance 2, advance wars, mario kart), Wonderswan (digimon), MasterSystem, NeoGeoPocket, ScummVM (monkey island) and some N64 and PS1.
Emulation on everything but N64 and PS1 is pretty much perfect given the right emulator (some require some slightly complex workarounds like using a DS emulator on 3DS). N64 and PS1 are N3DS only, and even there i doubt the compatibility is great. In that case you'd be better off with a PS vita, where PS1 runs natively and you also can run PSP.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, but when i ask for stuff when buying new consoles i expect something like this, so hopefully it's helpful for you!

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you like turn based JRPGs, the Bravely Default series is really good. And if you're a Zelda fan, A Link Between Worlds is an easy game but a lot of fun to play through, I've played through it multiple times.

NewLoveMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a large semi-open world RPG, go for Xenoblade, but if you own a Switch you may as well get the remaster since it includes a new (albeit short) story expansion. Plus the graphical overhaul looks great. The Bravely series is a fine turn based RPG. Ever Oasis is a great RPG too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: i am sad ugh