Best game storyline.....give me something?

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The halo storyline is in my opinion pretty darn good. After playing Reach, I am now replaying the entire series again as I've gotten sucked in. The pacing is just so good....you actually WANT to keep playing to just find out what happens. Its also seems closer to home as it deals with humans and earth, etc. The music is also always a driving factor. Many people think that the Halo story arc is crap. I certainly know better storylines, but maybe shoot me a couple suggestions. The library level sucked, but I actually went online because I couldn't hear all of the monitors explanations of the flood due to the flood mauling me. When I'm looking up dialogue on the internet, just so I know each little piece.....thats when you know.

A game series where I MUST keep playing, because I need to know what happens next. Maybe this topic has already been beaten to death. *Jump in?* < Ignore that retarded comment.

eltrut

Trophies
XP
Country
keine said:
*snip*

Jump in?

Xbox fanboy much, thats the 360's slogan. /sarcasm

The halo story wasn't that good, above-par maybe but not good. It was just helped out a lot by the gameplay and the mythos surrounding Master Chief.

Play more thriller/horror games or (J)RPGs for story, as they are most often built around them as grinding is tedious for most people. Generally earlier games from highly successful franchises have amazing storylines, the Final Fantasy and Silent Hill games come to mind.

Heavy Rain on the PS3 would be a good one to look at, it was built to be the 'next level' in storytelling using the games medium.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Halo universe is gigantic and amazing, but I really didn't think it was portrayed too well in Halo 1, 2 or 3. Though, it got progressively better. ODST did a much better job telling a story.
I don't have a modded 360, so I can't comment on Reach's story but I keep hearing how good it is...so here's hoping.

Probably one of the only FPS i've ever been able to say has a good story is: The Darkness
I love the story and atmosphere. Using darkness powers is just plain fun as well.

NIER has a pretty good story. With an absolutely spectacular soundtrack attached. (it's an action RPG). It isn't a series, but that's a shit reason not to play.

Tales of (anything). All good stories, progressively funner gameplay the newer the game, and a fuckton of stuff to do. Live 'em, love 'em. They're all action RPGs
Specific console titles: (they aren't related by the way)
Tales of Vesperia (360)
"" "" Symphonia (gamecube)
"" "" Symphonia: DotNW (Wii)
"" "" the Abyss (PS2)

Too lazy to think of much more right now.
Heavy Rain is a good choice if you have PS3.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
jan777 said:
Phoenix wright/ Apollo justice.lol visual novelsQUOTE(Hells Malice @ Sep 10 2010, 07:41 AM) "" "" Symphonia (gamecube)
"" "" Symphonia: DotNW (Wii)
b'awww storys, but i love 'em.

xenosaga (ps2) has a pretty awesome story line if you don't mind the weeaboo game style.
persona 3 (ps2/psp) story is alright, again, ITS LIKE IM REALLY JAPANESE.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
keine said:
Its also seems closer to home as it deals with humans and earth, etc.
Too bad so few games involve humans or earth. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, if you like playing games for stories, get into more JRPGs. Basically anything made by Square Enix (or either of the two from the old days) has at least an acceptable story. The Tales games have some incredibly intricate storylines with a lot of backstory, if you're the type that likes a ton of details. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy tend to use pretty cliche but still good stories. I was just thinking the other day about a game with a storyline that really sucked me in, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was right now. If I remember I'll edit this post, because it was something amazing, I know that much.

Oh, almost forgot. Mother 3 has one of the single greatest videogame stories I have ever seen. I have never felt so much emotion from a videogame. I almost shed a tear at the ending, and I'm the type that can suppress crying at funerals.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Terranigma - still my fave story/plot of any game ever if you've played that game to its conclusion you will know what i mean.

Getting the few obvious ones out the way:

FF7 - Just a great story with emotions flying everywhere

MGS 3 - maybe not the best MGS game in terms of gameplay but the story is fantastic

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found that SMT: Devil Survivor for the DS and Strange Journey for the DS had amazing stories - they're really just well planned out, well executed games. So fantastic. (Nocturne and RKvKA are great too, but I haven't fully beaten them yet so I don't know if it fades towards the end.)

Devil Survivor kept me going - I couldn't put it down. Every 5 seconds I was going "Only 5 more minutes because I have to get to sleep..."

And then I'd realize it was 3 in the morning and I had to get up at 5 for school. (That actually did happen....twice.)

Strange Journey I played straight through over one month - every night for at least 4 hours. So amazing.

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That depends greatly on how you define a good storyline.
Deus Ex has a fantastic story, however it is very limited by its age and lack of well directed cutscenes and voiceover.
Bioshock is fairly run of the mill on the surface, but like its setting, there is much more beneath the surface. There is such a rich subtext in the game-world, expressed through fantastically acted audio tapes found through out,that the game becomes almost all consuming.

There are others that I'm sure I've forgotten, but everyone has provided some really good ones already, so I'm sure they'll pop up soon enough.

xx_cutie_xx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heavy Rain.
smile.gif

I'm playing it right now and it's really good.
It's like a movie on PS3 but you get to control the main character's movements.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh....My favorite games would be:

Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
The World Ends With You (DS)
Trace Memory (DS)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Final Fantasy: Crisis Core (PSP)
Trauma Center's (DS)

(Soon to be Halo:Reach, I hope.)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo, storyline, good.

I lol'd. Halo has terrible storylines. On top of it being terribly cliched and predictable, the characters have the depth of cardboard cutouts.

But yeah, great storylines...

Mass Effect easily gets up there, it's such a genius blend of not only masterful storytelling but great gameplay, deep and complex characters, and the array of choices and their impacts on the game's story and characters is great. KOTOR is also great. It's surprising for a game to take a universe that's already been fleshed out over the course of twenty-some years and make it feel completely original.

Metal Gear Solid has completely batshit crazy storylines but they're somehow entertaining at the same time. I like 'em.

Red Dead Redemption was really good, I almost cried at the end.

I can't think of much retro, sorry.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as people are adding in here.....I'll throw in a couple.
Totally agree on the Mass Effect 1/2. I somehow thought Mass Effect 1 had more space foreboding atmosphere (possible due to the mako)...but both were great. Can't wait for 3. Its the trilogies that getcha.

I would recommend Vampire Bloodlines for PC. Drenched in atmosphere and a plot that I remember drawing me along pretty well.

Deus Ex.+1. Deus Ex should never be missed. Even if you have to play it on the PS2. (I did and in my book, still totally worth it.) Also played it on the PC, mind you.

Interesting DS recommends. Will definitely check them out.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really play games so I'm a bit behind the times but I do enjoy a good story while I'm playing. Now that I'm stuck at home with my leg up I have been getting into some 360 games.

Orange Box was awesome - great story all the way through and I can't wait for episode 3.
Red Dead Redemption - I am playing at the moment and the story is excellent and the game in general is ridiculously good. I seriously didn't think the 360 was capable of producing graphics like this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1