United States
Thanx!! You rock!!
happy.gif

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm not against the idea, but releasing the source is a lot of work (a lot of crap to package up) and my little apps really don't do anything special... everything they do is discussed in one way or another in this thread, with the exception of the banner info editor, which is a tad hackish. Also it's in vb6, a "dead" programming language that I choose to use because it makes small apps quickly.

Let's put it this way... not atm. I'm currently working on a fe for our toolset that'll automate the whole process. Right now I've coded in about half of the banner injection steps for neogeo. (Gets to the part where you make the tpls.) Once I get neogeo done and test it a few dozen times, it'lll be quite easy to add in support for the other consoles and then it will be packged up as a toolset you add to the current toolset and it would make more sense to release the source at that point. Right now much of the info we have particularly about save data, is in-flux and I don't want to have to release source code every few days.

Oh here's a preview of the VCFE.... hopefully you can get an idea of how it's gonna work

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough!

That looks pretty damn good. I'm excited for the release in the future, indeed. I'm curious, how do you select the images? Do you just click on the box and then locate the picture to use and it makes it the right size or something?

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You define paths in an ini file for each type of image. All of your image files need to be named the same as the rom in true "mame style" organization.

At least for neogeo games (hopefully I can get close with the other consoles) it's a 4-click process:

1. Select "Neogeo"
2. Select the game (only the roms you have will show up)
3. Select the wad you wish to use as a template.
4. Click Inject

The year, title, ect are all stored in a text file, so the user doesn't have to know anything but what game they want to use. It'll be harder to do this for the other consoles, as that data isn't readily available, but at the most you'd have to enter the year and number of players.

Speaking of source code, would it be possible to get the source to our current tools? (Particularly tpl converter and u8 packer) I have autohotkey scripts setup to run them right now, but they aren't very reliable. I only want to add command line support and re-release them along with the source. Or if the authors wish to do it themselves that's fine as well.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I did manage to find a command line tpl conveter by broly7. I'm not sure who this is, but the package I downloaded didn't have any documentation, so hopefully it'll be ok for me to use it. The bad news is it's rather complicated to use (for the average user at least) and it only supports tga files. The good news is I can easily generate tga files with the icon generator and while this tool does make use of lengthy scripts to tell the app what images to use, I understand them and can have my apps generate the appropriate scripts.

So to recap....

1. The next version of my icon generator will output the files directly to tpl format!
2. The next version of my save icon injector will support 9 image tpls so the neogeo injection won't be so hackish!
3. My vcfe is one step closer to completion!

dritz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I use the 00000000.app supplied on page 1 for turbogrfx the channel image is distorted. The banner and save images are fine. I tried with a few different picture and wads. Not sure if it is a problem with the template or something else. Any help or answers would be great. Thanks

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might not be an issue much longer.

I was unsatisfied with the u8 extractor (only can extract so many folders deep... chokes on lzss compression... no command line support...ect) so last night I started building one. It still needs testing, but thus far it is complete and because it can handle lzss compression, we can now simply extract the banner and icon bins in the donor wads 00000000.app file!

(btw I've ran into similar issues with a neogeo header.... because the files themselves seemed to be ok extracted, I can only assume it was something in the compression process, so this new utility should fix that as well.)

Joeevil5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've been lurking around this thread for a couple of days, and downloaded every possible tool, and followed the tutorial to the letter. But, It only seems to "half work". I always get the default image (Killer Instinct, Duck Tales, ect.) for the banner in the Wii menu, but when I click on the channel, my custom banner, and info shows up. This seems to be working fine for everyone else, and I have no idea what I did wrong.
Basically, everything works, except the banners in the Wii menu, which is the most important thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

xshinox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can this be used to edit the picture in the gecko os channel? the one i installed seems kinda plain (blue/white/black). i want to add a picture heh

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joeevil5000 said:
Okay, I've been lurking around this thread for a couple of days, and downloaded every possible tool, and followed the tutorial to the letter. But, It only seems to "half work". I always get the default image (Killer Instinct, Duck Tales, ect.) for the banner in the Wii menu, but when I click on the channel, my custom banner, and info shows up. This seems to be working fine for everyone else, and I have no idea what I did wrong.
Basically, everything works, except the banners in the Wii menu, which is the most important thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

are you editting the icon image as well?? couse that one will show in the wii menu

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
xshinox said:
can this be used to edit the picture in the gecko os channel? the one i installed seems kinda plain (blue/white/black). i want to add a picture heh

yeah no problemo, but maybe you could better look @ the homebrew guide (that is stickyd)

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
HowardC said:
That might not be an issue much longer.

I was unsatisfied with the u8 extractor (only can extract so many folders deep... chokes on lzss compression... no command line support...ect) so last night I started building one. It still needs testing, but thus far it is complete and because it can handle lzss compression, we can now simply extract the banner and icon bins in the donor wads 00000000.app file!

That's good news to hear. At least then I'll be able to sue the Super Mario Picross banner which comes up with the waning about the game will only run in 60Hz.
smile.gif

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Can the Threadstarter update the sound.bin links on the first page by removing the 5 versions and replacing it with these:

Sound.bin Final Ver. 6
(Good version, louder volume, length (5.049), higher bitrate (32000), larger size)
687 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/14bka90kkk

Sound.bin Final Ver. 6a
(Best version, volume (same as original), length (same as original 5.003), bitrate (same as original 22.500), smaller size)
431 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/ni5stv6m8w

Thanks
smile.gif

Sperion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fission said:
Can the Threadstarter update the sound.bin links on the first page by removing the 5 versions and replacing it with these:

Sound.bin Final Ver. 6
(Good version, louder volume, length (5.049), higher bitrate (32000), larger size)
687 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/14bka90kkk

Sound.bin Final Ver. 6a
(Best version, volume (same as original), length (same as original 5.003), bitrate (same as original 22.500), smaller size)
431 KB
http://www.box.net/shared/ni5stv6m8w

Thanks
smile.gif

will do that when i have time (tonight/tomorrow probebly)

Joeevil5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sperion said:
Joeevil5000 said:

are you editting the icon image as well?? couse that one will show in the wii menu

Yes, I am editing both the icon and banner images. I've gone through the raw files and read the image for both VCPic.tpl and IconVCPic.tpl in the tplicon_v0.4_eng tool, and they both show my custom icon and banner. But when I finish the process of replacing the files, and repacking the WAD, and installing it, I just get Killer Instinct in the Wii menu.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Once you loaded the image with tplicon_v0.4_eng, did you remember to create the new TPL and replacing it with the old one?

Joeevil5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
Once you loaded the image with tplicon_v0.4_eng, did you remember to create the new TPL and replacing it with the old one?

Yes, I'm saving the new, edited TPLs over the originals. I'm actually putting a video together, showing how I got through the process. Once I can stick it on youtube or something, and embed it in a post, have a look, and see if you guys see anything I''m doing wrong

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk