AYANEO reveals new retro-themed handhelds and accessories in its new REMAKE line of products

ayaneo remake products.jpg

AYANEO announced its retro-themed REMAKE line of products late last year. During a product update sharing session aired today, the company has revealed new products that will be released under this line. While specs of the products were also revealed, release dates were not; but we can expect more news to be shared in the coming months. You can view the full video session below and a text break-down of each product shown follows:

AYANEO Pocket DMG

This is the company's first vertically-oriented handheld and looks like a revamped GameBoy Pocket. It is an Android-based device with a 3.92" OLED screen, 1240x1080 resolution and is powered by the Snapdragon G3x Gen 2 gaming platform.

pocket dmg 1.jpeg

pocket dmg 2.jpg pocket dmg 3.jpg

AYANEO Pocket MICRO

As its name suggests, the AYANEO Pocket MICRO draws inspiration from the GBA Micro. It features a horizontal layout and a bezel-less full-screen design encased in an aluminium frame. The display's resolution is 960x640, which is 4x that of the GBA's 240x160 resolution. Powering this device is the Helio G99 processor, which is more than capable of emulating GBA titles.

micro 1.jpeg

micro 2.png micro 3.jpg

AYANEO Starship Graphics Dock AG01

AYANEO's first graphics dock bears a sci-fi design. The AG01 is equipped with the AMD Radeon RX 7600M XT mobile graphics card (based on the RDNA 3 architecture). The company aims to have the AG01 as the "most versatile and feature-rich eGPU dock on the market", with a range of interfaces including DP 2.0, HDMI 2.1, OCuLink, USB4, and tool-free expansion for M.2 2280 SSDs. USB4 and OCuLink cables will be included with the dock.

graphics dock.jpeg

graphics dock 2.jpeg graphics dock 3.jpg

AYANEO Retro Mini PC AM01S

This mini PC is an upgraded version of AYANEO's previous Retro Mini PC AM01. It includes a flip screen, an AMD 8000HS series processor, a 65W dual-fan cooling system, dual USB4 ports, and dual 2.5G network ports.

mini PC.jpeg

AYANEO AIR 1S 8840U Version

AYANEO also introduced a new variant of the Air 1S handheld gaming PC. This model sports the AMD 8840U chip while sharing most of the features of the regular 7840U model.

handheld PC.jpeg

AYANEO Retro Power Bank

This 12,000 mAh power bank, which adopts the design of a certain retro console, is AYANEO's first such accessory. It features a monochrome OLED screen displaying battery life and charging/discharging power, dual USB-C ports support, and 45W PD fast charging, compatible with Windows handhelds.

power bank.jpeg

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m aware, but the DSi XL screens are frankly just the best way to play DS games. Plus not needing to buy a flashcard for the system is a bonus.
We all have our preferences. However, not to get off topic, but if it came down to the screen, I would rather just emulate my DS games on modernized hardware instead like my smartphone. Different strokes for different folks, to each his own I guess.

Reactions: Scarlet

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is the screen really that special?
Its actually just a 1080p screen with the horizontal pixels chopped off to bring it down to 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9.
This isnt anything special.
The fact that is around 4 inches rather than 3.5 (like the Analogue Pocket) is the difference here.
Also despite still having a lower pixel density (nothing can beat the Analogue Pocket here as it seems, not even an iPhone lol), the pixel density is still higher than on the majority of other "retro handheld" screens that often tend to max out at lower resolutions like 480p (Miyoo Mini Plus, RG35XX, RG405M) or 720p (PowKiddy RGB30).
1080p as on the Pocket DMG is decent enough imho to apply some nice shaders and/or do some nice integer scaling.
That plus the fact that it's an OLED screen makes it a decent competitor in the segment of vertical handhelds, especially since it's a little bigger than the other devices (MMP, RG35XX).
What I really love about the Analogue Pocket is, that it has (almost) the exact same size of the original DMG. My big hands are really grateful for that. And if the Ayaneo Pocket DMG is just as big, that's a good thing imho!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
AYANEO Pocket MICRO

As its name suggests, the AYANEO Pocket MICRO draws inspiration from the GBA Micro. It features a horizontal layout and a bezel-less full-screen design encased in an aluminium frame. The display's resolution is 960x640, which is 4x that of the GBA's 240x160 resolution. Powering this device is the Helio G99 processor, which is more than capable of emulating GBA titles.

Well that looks cute and all, but I dread how much it's gonna cost. AyaNeo are not known for competitive pricing, to say the least. There are two consoles (that I know of) that use the Helio G99 SOC, and they're both expensive. Add AyaNeo's tax for "premium" and "metal" and stuff, and it's going to cost between $"fuck no" and $"fuck away from here".

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that is around 4 inches rather than 3.5 (like the Analogue Pocket) is the difference here.
Also despite still having a lower pixel density (nothing can beat the Analogue Pocket here as it seems, not even an iPhone lol), the pixel density is still higher than on the majority of other "retro handheld" screens that often tend to max out at lower resolutions like 480p (Miyoo Mini Plus, RG35XX, RG405M) or 720p (PowKiddy RGB30).
1080p as on the Pocket DMG is decent enough imho to apply some nice shaders and/or do some nice integer scaling.
That plus the fact that it's an OLED screen makes it a decent competitor in the segment of vertical handhelds, especially since it's a little bigger than the other devices (MMP, RG35XX).
What I really love about the Analogue Pocket is, that it has (almost) the exact same size of the original DMG. My big hands are really grateful for that. And if the Ayaneo Pocket DMG is just as big, that's a good thing imho!
I agree with you on the Analogue Pocket. That device makes a ton of sense to me.

But this AYANEO Pocket DMG doesnt to me. If you like the form factor and can afford the price, why not just get the Analogue Pocket with its jailbreak firmware and OpenFPGA cores?
Sure the AYANEO device can play far more advanced consoles through software emulation and its Snapdragon chip. But it lacks the buttons to play those consoles anyway. Its like this device is stuck between this middle ground of trying to be something that appeals to the DMG/GBC/GBA consumer, but also having enough power under the hood to cater to the people who want high end emulation power. And in the end, it excels at neither of those two.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree with you on the Analogue Pocket. That device makes a ton of sense to me.

But this AYANEO Pocket DMG doesnt to me. If you like the form factor and can afford the price, why not just get the Analogue Pocket with its jailbreak firmware and OpenFPGA cores?
Sure the AYANEO device can play far more advanced consoles through software emulation and its Snapdragon chip. But it lacks the buttons to play those consoles anyway. Its like this device is stuck between this middle ground of trying to be something that appeals to the DMG/GBC/GBA consumer, but also having enough power under the hood to cater to the people who want high end emulation power. And in the end, it excels at neither of those two.
You ask the right questions and I appreciate that. :)
I already own the Analogue Pocket and for what its worth it's a great device which I love and play almost daily.
I probably also don't plan to replace it with the Ayaneo Pocket DMG but rather have both.

First of all, the differences between traditional software emulation and FPGA justify having both.
While FPGA has the benefits of (almost) zero input latency and 100% accuracy of the experience like it'd be on original hardware, it lacks a few features that even cheap things like the Miyoo Mini provide.
Those include save states and fast forward in all cores rather than only a few (creating/loading states also works way faster there), things like Netplay and Achievements (personal preference but I love both features) and the biggest downside of the Analogue Pocket is the OS.

I love that it's clean, not distracting and boots within literally 4 seconds but firmware updates that deliver basic features take months or years (display modes for openFPGA took them what? 6 months? DAC still isn't here although promised for Oct '23) and what bugs me the most is that there's no favorites and recents menu.
If you only play cartridges, this doesn't matter at all but as soon as you tend to switch between 2 - 3 games that you are currently playing, it's becoming a pain in the ass to navigate individually back and forth between those roms.
Due to its lack of WiFi there's also no shenanigans like quick FTP access or OTA updates.

This is why I basically use two handhelds for retro gaming right now: The Analogue Pocket (mainly for GB/GBC/GG) and the Anbernic RG405M (basically for anything else). The latter is great but I'm a sucker for vertical devices so I'm curious as to how the Pocket DMG turns out.

And since you mentioned further systems on the Pocket DMG: I care about anything up to and including N64 and PSX. I prefer to enjoy GameCube, PS2 and above on the big screen and not a handheld.
And I think for everything up to N64/PSX, the button layout should be fine. The analog stick could be a little crampy to use but it has L1, L2, R1, R2, A/B/X/Y, START, SELECT and most importantly a d-pad that is on top. Looks good to me.

Last edited by lordelan,

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You ask the right questions and I appreciate that. :)
I already own the Analogue Pocket and for what its worth it's a great device which I love and play almost daily.
I probably also don't plan to replace it with the Ayaneo Pocket DMG but rather have both.

First of all, the differences between traditional software emulation and FPGA justify having both.
While FPGA has the benefits of (almost) zero input latency and 100% accuracy of the experience like it'd be on original hardware, it lacks a few features that even cheap things like the Miyoo Mini provide.
Those include save states and fast forward in all cores rather than only a few (creating/loading states also works way faster there), things like Netplay and Achievements (personal preference but I love both features) and the biggest downside of the Analogue Pocket is the OS.

I love that it's clean, not distracting and boots within literally 4 seconds but firmware updates that deliver basic features take months or years (display modes for openFPGA took them what? 6 months? DAC still isn't here although promised for Oct '23) and what bugs me the most is that there's no favorites and recents menu.
If you only play cartridges, this doesn't matter at all but as soon as you tend to switch between 2 - 3 games that you are currently playing, it's becoming a pain in the ass to navigate individually back and forth between those roms.
Due to its lack of WiFi there's also no shenanigans like quick FTP access or OTA updates.

This is why I basically use two handhelds for retro gaming right now: The Analogue Pocket (mainly for GB/GBC/GG) and the Anbernic RG405M (basically for anything else). The latter is great but I'm a sucker for vertical devices so I'm curious as to how the Pocket DMG turns out.

And since you mentioned further systems on the Pocket DMG: I care about anything up to and including N64 and PSX. I prefer to enjoy GameCube, PS2 and above on the big screen and not a handheld.
And I think for everything up to N64/PSX, the button layout should be fine. The analog stick could be a little crampy to use but it has L1, L2, R1, R2, A/B/X/Y, START, SELECT and most importantly a d-pad that is on top. Looks good to me.
Between the Analogue Pocket and the RG405M, that covers almost everything. But if you really needed to add or upgrade what you have, then surely the Odin 2 makes the most sense for you at that price point.

Reactions: urbanman2004

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Between the Analogue Pocket and the RG405M, that covers almost everything. But if you really needed to add or upgrade what you have, then surely the Odin 2 makes the most sense for you at that price point.
Nope. First it's not pocketable at all. Second the majority of systems I'm about to play is in 4:3. As I said I cap out at N64 and PSX. The Odin 2 has a 16:9 display which is completely pointless to me.

But you're right. The RG405M is basically the same as the Ayaneo Pocket DMG in terms of what it does and thus it might be replaced with it.

Balallax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I REALLY liked the Pocket DMG. Its specs are overkill for most use cases and I think they nailed the right stick issue with a touch pad.
I really like minimalist designs and those other devices with the DMG design and two sticks on the front... It just dont seem right to me. But well...
Lets see how the price question will be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...