SjorsMaster

Ayy
Trophies
Website
www.sjors.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
This forum is just unbelievable. Someone tries to learn, asking for help in a forum that should provide help but instead it's full of people that try to discourage the progress without providing any help.
I'm sure the OP knows the risks, if not, one comment is enough. If you are not able to contribute, just don't post. He is actually trying to learn and help the scene.
It would be great when this community finally recognize they are just leeching scriptkidz, and not a part of the hacking scene.
And no, i'm not talking about the developers posting in this forum. I think their work is amazing and I am very grateful for their hard work (all scenes), but I fully understand when a developer strays away from this place. It's great to post a finished project, but when it comes to progress, this seems to be the last place to go to.

No offense but we’re just trying to prevent him from ruining his device, he stated that he wanted to “debug” it. Looking at his grammar and sentences it probably is a kid.
And he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing, I see this making a really bad turn really quickly.

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
No offense but we’re just trying to prevent him from ruining his device, he stated that he wanted to “debug” it. Looking at his grammar and sentences it probably is a kid.
And he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing, I see this making a really bad turn really quickly.
So I'm just wondering on a serious note I guess everyone in here started out knowing everything that they know I never made a mistake even after doing research and break something. If I'm not mistaken experiments are call experiments because you don't know what you're doing you're just trying it out to see what happeneds . If anyone in here never broke anything or made a mistake I envy you because I made a lot of mistakes before I learn how to fix anything because just like him I didn't have anyone helping me I have to try and fail before I got it right . Just like the wright brothers everyone thinking that they are going to fail if they had listened to people like you everyone would still be taking ships to go to another country taking days or months to get there if he bricks the switch he still lives to see another day it's not life and death y'all

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not new here even though it seems like I'm new here I'm not I've been comming to this forum from back in the gba days and what I've seem is that people get mad when you ask about tools mod software whatever the get mad if you ask how long it's gonna take the get mad if you ask for a eta the list goes on but how can y'all be made when someone is trying to learn for them self idk maybe I'm missing something here I see a lot of post telling people to wait or they should develop it by myself this kid is trying for himself and y'all have nothing positive to say

Last edited by JaRocker,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yes. And admirable that notion is too. But we are in the big-wide-interweb. Information is public. People are going to try and do these things. People have to learn from their own mistakes. I`m probably a fossil compared to most people on here and (after many jtags/unbricking/bricking etc) I am still learning. You can take a horse to water...

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
You know the best way to prevent bricks on Switch, is just to open it up remove the 'eMMC module' your nand, and put it someplace self. (or course still make a full backup of it, before doing that).

Then you can do all the playing around with payloads you like, and none of existing payloads write anything to emmc anyway, unless you count doing commands in linux shell yourself, its basically very safe.

Oh, and removing the emmc module, also makes it easier to launch payloads, since the switch will always boot up in RCM mode when it detects no 32gb nand to launch from! :)

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
You know the best way to prevent bricks on Switch, is just to open it up remove the 'eMMC module' your nand, and put it someplace self. (or course still make a full backup of it, before doing that).

Then you can do all the playing around with payloads you like, and none of existing payloads write anything to emmc anyway, unless you count doing commands in linux shell yourself, its basically very safe.

Oh, and removing the emmc module, also makes it easier to launch payloads, since the switch will always boot up in RCM mode when it detects no 32gb nand to launch from! :)
Hmm good to know thanks at least someone in here has some helpful info:gun:

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
This forum is just unbelievable. Someone tries to learn, asking for help in a forum that should provide help but instead it's full of people that try to discourage the progress without providing any help.
I'm sure the OP knows the risks, if not, one comment is enough. If you are not able to contribute, just don't post. He is actually trying to learn and help the scene.
It would be great when this community finally recognize they are just leeching scriptkidz, and not a part of the hacking scene.
And no, i'm not talking about the developers posting in this forum. I think their work is amazing and I am very grateful for their hard work (all scenes), but I fully understand when a developer strays away from this place. It's great to post a finished project, but when it comes to progress, this seems to be the last place to go to.
It's unfinished. There is no point to compiling, or booting Atmosphere. It doesn't even go into Horizon at the state it's in. People saying he could brick are stupid, as this runs on emunand and doesn't touch the actual nand, but what I want to imply is this:
There's nothing to help him with.
Sure, he can compile it, but it's not gonna boot into Horizon with it's splash screen and custom loader like it's intended.
It's in development, there's nothing for him to do.
By you allowing him to "learn and help the scene" you're just allowing some impatient asshole on the internet to ask a question that has been answered 1000 times.
It doesn't work, and we will know when it works.
He is one of the "leeching scriptkidz" you mention because he himself can't load something unfinished, and is attempting to. Even if there is something to load (which there is, it's just very unfinished and requires a ton of tweaking) he shouldn't be messing with Atmosphere as it's basically a developer tool right now, or a project that needs development, which is useless to an end user like him.
All and all:
Stop being an impatient prick and wait for the real developers to say it's ready. If they don't announce when it's loadable, some other dickhead will. Don't let some rando get your hopes up and think he's helping the scene while kissing his ass hoping he'll release a working version a few months before official release. That won't happen.

Last edited by Creatable,

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is fucking hilarious. The guy who made this thread shows up in the ReSwitched Discord talking about how he successfully compiled Atmosphere and had to remove a warning for it to compile.

"-#define I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING -- and recognize that we will be unable to provide support until it is ready for general usage :)"
-#error "Fusee is a work-in-progress bootloader, and is not ready for usage yet. If you want to play with it anyway, please #define I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING -- and recognize that we will be unable to provide support until it is ready for general usage :)"
-
- printk("Warning: Fus\e9e is not yet completed, and not ready for general testing!\n");
- printk("Please do not seek support for it until it is done.\n");"

Instead of doing what the warning said, he removed it all together which disables the error because the error doesn't exist anymore.
Any developer (like what he claims to be) could've defined it.
He also proceeded to ask for support for Atmosphere in the ReSwitched Discord... Just like the warning told him not to.
At this point you shouldn't get your hopes up that this guy will successfully get anything working as he's not a developer in any way.
The only way that this would work out is if someone decides to help him (which is unlikely, and if so he'll disobey) or if someone gives him a fully compiled and working Atmosphere (which doesn't exist).
All in all, just wait till the thing releases for fucks sake.

Last edited by Creatable,

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, this is fucking hilarious. The guy who made this thread shows up in the ReSwitched Discord talking about how he successfully compiled Atmosphere and had to remove a warning for it to compile.

"-#define I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING -- and recognize that we will be unable to provide support until it is ready for general usage :)"
-#error "Fusee is a work-in-progress bootloader, and is not ready for usage yet. If you want to play with it anyway, please #define I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING -- and recognize that we will be unable to provide support until it is ready for general usage :)"
-
- printk("Warning: Fus\e9e is not yet completed, and not ready for general testing!\n");
- printk("Please do not seek support for it until it is done.\n");"

Instead of doing what the warning said, he removed it all together which disables the error because the error doesn't exist anymore.
Any developer (like what he claims to be) could've defined it.
He also proceeded to ask for support for Atmosphere in the ReSwitched Discord... Just like the warning told him not to.
At this point you shouldn't get your hopes up that this guy will successfully get anything working.

Finally someone speaking with sense here, thank you!
I’m all for positive reinforcement but as I’ve said earlier in the thread this isn’t the place to start honing your crafts, especially not for a 12 year old who probably doesn’t yet have a job and thus was probably gifted the switch for his bday. I don’t think he, or otherwise his parents, would appreciate if he breaks his only switch beyond repair and he’s veering dangerously close right now ignoring advise and getting encouraged to keep doing what he wants by others, moreso disturbing the devs which said they’d provide no support for something as of yet unfinished.
If he wants to code, let him have some fun working on something less potentially damaging to his hardware. Redirect him to the switchbru dns thread and tell him where to start coding html before throwing him into the deep low level code.
TL:DR; Time to call it quits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ManuelKoegler,

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#define FUUUZAY_GELLAY_ATMOSPHERAY_STRATOSPHEREYYY printk("Note: Fus\e9e Gel\e9e Atmosph\e9re Stratosph\e9re \x13\x33\x37 is almost there! I want to give thanks to all contributors involved in making this happen!\n");
if(strcmpk(CFW, "CUSTOM FIRMWARÈE") == 0)
{
FUUUZAY_GELLAY_ATMOSPHERAY_STRATOSPHEREYYY // :D
}

Wait I don't understand french though, does the atmosphère and stratosphère because they have the accent like fusèe gelèe, are they pronounced in the same way? ^^above the pronunciation I think is maybe accurate. I mean no disrepect to french people for the above, just having fun with the pronunciation of the name, it is a cool name after all. I wasn't liking it at first, but it has grown on me and now I love it! And I'm being genuine about my thanks to every and all contributors to the exploit and cfw project!

Also I respond to the switch brickers, noting garyopa's response I'll say: You guys must believe the switch is so fragile, that you can so easily brick it. I'm trying to step into your thought process-> You must think that there's a million lines of code that will instantly brick the switch and make it totally unrecoverable from that brick while there's only 1 line of code that will do the right thing and not brick. That's not true actually though, that's not the way it works, that's not how any of this works. You could play around with code INTENTIONALLY trying to brick the switch and probably would have difficulty in even trying to purposely do it. And like garyopa said, you could remove the nand entirely and still have a functioning switch. Hell some people might remove their nands and once avail launch custom firmware directly from sd never needing the nand at all.(actually probably not any real good reason to lose the sysnand, but just exemplifying the point that the switch is an unbrickable system now that we have basically become the switch factory and have the same access to the system that they do, they are no longer above us, the playing field has been leveled.) Linux already works like this, it loads from the sd not the nand and unless you do the reverse dd command (with input file and output file [if/of] swapped from nand to disk to disk to nand) you still aren't touching the nand. So even if you wrecked the data on or removed the nand, you could still run linux on it, or custom firmware with emunand only with absent sysnand (well it depends on if they make the emunand dependent upon having a sysnand present). Do you guys know any other device that's also unbrickable like this? It's kind of a rare thing that we get this low level of access for any device. So low that nearly the only way to brick it, is to smash it with a real brick! :D

By the way for dd, if coreutils v8.24 or higher, you can add " status=progress" at the end of the command for progress indication instead of just a blank prompt until it's done, that's been helpful to me whenever using it, you use to have to use something like pipeviewer (pv) and pipe it to it to get the progress (which obviously slowed it down a bit in exchange for getting progress status, but with it built in that's no longer the case)

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

that's actually really interesting. how is the chip installed? is it soldered in or is it socketed?

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's Syndrome from The Incredibles. He just wants to help, don't turned him into a villain.

Reactions: MiguelinCrafter

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that's actually really interesting. how is the chip installed? is it soldered in or is it socketed?

It is socketed. Seems to be same pinout etc as an odroid SBC emmc. As soon as I find my odroid emmc I`ll be testing this. Now, if the emmc chips are different, they may ID differently and not work. Completely untested all this (mine is buried in my workshop/radio shack somewhere). If anyone has a 32gb emmc module for an odroid, try writing nand to it, clipping it on and booting it...

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
#define FUUUZAY_GELLAY_ATMOSPHERAY_STRATOSPHEREYYY printk("Note: Fus\e9e Gel\e9e Atmosph\e9re Stratosph\e9re \x13\x33\x37 is almost there! I want to give thanks to all contributors involved in making this happen!\n");
if(strcmpk(CFW, "CUSTOM FIRMWARÈE") == 0)
{
FUUUZAY_GELLAY_ATMOSPHERAY_STRATOSPHEREYYY // :D
}

Wait I don't understand french though, does the atmosphère and stratosphère because they have the accent like fusèe gelèe, are they pronounced in the same way? ^^above the pronunciation I think is maybe accurate. I mean no disrepect to french people for the above, just having fun with the pronunciation of the name, it is a cool name after all. I wasn't liking it at first, but it has grown on me and now I love it! And I'm being genuine about my thanks to every and all contributors to the exploit and cfw project!

Also I respond to the switch brickers, noting garyopa's response I'll say: You guys must believe the switch is so fragile, that you can so easily brick it. I'm trying to step into your thought process-> You must think that there's a million lines of code that will instantly brick the switch and make it totally unrecoverable from that brick while there's only 1 line of code that will do the right thing and not brick. That's not true actually though, that's not the way it works, that's not how any of this works. You could play around with code INTENTIONALLY trying to brick the switch and probably would have difficulty in even trying to purposely do it. And like garyopa said, you could remove the nand entirely and still have a functioning switch. Hell some people might remove their nands and once avail launch custom firmware directly from sd never needing the nand at all.(actually probably not any real good reason to lose the sysnand, but just exemplifying the point that the switch is an unbrickable system now that we have basically become the switch factory and have the same access to the system that they do, they are no longer above us, the playing field has been leveled.) Linux already works like this, it loads from the sd not the nand and unless you do the reverse dd command (with input file and output file [if/of] swapped from nand to disk to disk to nand) you still aren't touching the nand. So even if you wrecked the data on or removed the nand, you could still run linux on it, or custom firmware with emunand only with absent sysnand (well it depends on if they make the emunand dependent upon having a sysnand present). Do you guys know any other device that's also unbrickable like this? It's kind of a rare thing that we get this low level of access for any device. So low that nearly the only way to brick it, is to smash it with a real brick! :D

By the way for dd, if coreutils v8.24 or higher, you can add " status=progress" at the end of the command for progress indication instead of just a blank prompt until it's done, that's been helpful to me whenever using it, you use to have to use something like pipeviewer (pv) and pipe it to it to get the progress (which obviously slowed it down a bit in exchange for getting progress status, but with it built in that's no longer the case)
It's honestly incredibly easy to make something to brick a Switch from just a Fusee payload.
You can burn all the fuses, format and remove everything, the list goes on and on.
The chance that something like Atmosphere would do this is slim to none, however a random guy compiling Atmosphere could put it in anywhere.
That's why we don't trust random people's payloads until they are confirmed to be good.
Just be cautious, this is some really low level shit, use payloads that are confirmed.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
they speak Chinese

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's honestly incredibly easy to make something to brick a Switch from just a Fusee payload.
You can burn all the fuses, format and remove everything, the list goes on and on.
The chance that something like Atmosphere would do this is slim to none, however a random guy compiling Atmosphere could put it in anywhere.
That's why we don't trust random people's payloads until they are confirmed to be good.
Just be cautious, this is some really low level shit, use payloads that are confirmed.

You are God to call anyone shit ?.

Last edited by Imancol,
D

Deleted User

OP
He dont have any knowlege somebody must be a nut head to try his compiles

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. None are able to boot it, but we are able to run it.

If you compile the source you can run it via Fusee, but it will not boot into Horizon, SciresM used some unknown wizardry to get it working, but that's not part of the build and will not be.
"wizardry" = Sacrificing one's soul and a goat to Toby Keith annnd quite possibly "Butt Stuff" as SciresM did say "Been doing some gross things to get it to boot"

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying