Slater Color
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Marcan said:
As most of you will probably already know, I’ve been working on a project recently which aims to run Linux on the PS3 (including the PS3 Slim) using the PSJailbreak exploit, effectively replacing GameOS on the fly. I think it’s gotten to the point where it’s useful enough for other people to be interested, so here’s something resembling an official announcement.

Obligatory demo video:

AsbestOS (a mineral, and meaning “inextinguishable” in Greek) is a bootloader to run PS3 Linux without OtherOS. It runs using the USB GameOS exploit (on PS3 version 3.41) from any compatible device, and any reprogrammable devices currently running the PS3 exploit can be used as long as they have enough free internal or external storage (40kB or so) to hold the loader. It is general enough that it should be useful to boot Linux given any other GameOS exploit in the future. It has been tested to work on the PS3 Slim too.

Read all the article here.

Marcan, YOU RULEZ.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The real question is, will this be better than running Linux from Other OS? If it can't have access to the things that Other OS couldn't touch and/or exceed the 10 GB partition limit, then it is of no use to me.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is awesome! After the jailbreak the scene grew masivly bringing such beauty's

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ChaosBoi said:
The real question is, will this be better than running Linux from Other OS? If it can't have access to the things that Other OS couldn't touch and/or exceed the 10 GB partition limit, then it is of no use to me.
Other OS could exceed 10GB but you had to limit the PS3's Game OS partition or whatever. I'm sure that it's possible to set custom partitions though. This does have access to everything the Game OS has access to. So we get access to the 7th SPE and full access to the RSX. However, I believe people need to understand how the RSX works before anyone can make use of it, from what I've read.

I believe all this info can be found in Marcan's posts if you bother to read it.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xalphax said:
Seraph said:
However, I believe people need to understand how the RSX works before anyone can make use of it, from what I've read.

Why? The use is not terribly different from that in the SDK.
I don't know...I haven't actually read most developments on the PS3 in detail, and I'm just going from that one statement from Marcan's post. I assumed it was talking about coding and building drivers in Linux to make use of the RSX, which I don't think most people did as RSX access was blocked early on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1