Hacking Are we setting ourselves up for the first Switch banwaves?

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could always map it to the same keypress as the joycon home button, which would constantly bring up the sidebar, making it annoying as hell to leave a permanent solution installed.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they'd ban people for having that short since it'd be too easy for someone to unknowingly buy modded controller second hand or something. They could implement some sort of popup that says the joy-con has "dangerous unauthorized modifications" that doesn't go away until the joy-con is removed.

Reactions: SomeGamer

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While it should be possible for them to detect cfw if it has some additional service and maybe ban cfw users this way, I don't think they will ban people for having a shortened pin, since there are many possible ways this could have happened, without activly modding it.

Reactions: reminon

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't dream of doing this with my main Switch. Bought a second one for homebrew that will never go online.

That's why I haven't bought a Switch for myself, and absolutely will not futz around with my daughter's. Online is too important now. I love it, but I hate it. The single player for a lot of games today flat out sucks, so their longterm replay value is junk. (Compared to every generation of game console made until about 6 years ago, which will always be as enjoyable as they were when new.)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
doubt they would ban, they might add an error to the home menu in a future update warning about illegal modifications or just a generic hardware fault error although cfw would probs bypass that error easily but I guess once cfw is developed it might be something to mask to the OS

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
The easy solution is to just wire in something like a Reed switch or a small button into the pin short wiring. Make magnethax a thing again or only have the pins short via a small button on the back

reed switch is a great idea. small, cheap and easy to hide from little fingers

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
They are not going to ban even if they detect are able to detect it. Reason? False positives, there may be people which may have accicentally damaged their joycons causing a connection between said pins. While this is unlikely to happen, only if a single false positive is recorded and reported somewhere as "OMG Nintendo is banning random people without any reason" it would hurt the company and cause fear to consumers. An error reporting a hardware fault would be more likely to happen tho, but they probably won't even care because they know it could be bypassed very easily.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In a perfect world people would choose Linux over a cfw'd Switch OS and running pirated games online and cheats -- but alas -- the world is not perfect.
In an even more perfect world OtherOS would be built in to every console and therefore most hackers wouldn't feel the need to exploit in the first place (and therefore open the door to piracy).

Reactions: zoogie

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The single player for a lot of games today flat out sucks, so their longterm replay value is junk. (Compared to every generation of game console made until about 6 years ago, which will always be as enjoyable as they were when new.)

This video touches on why btw - ( ) its a little too enthusiastic about the game it compares those concepts too, but it gets many of key differences correct. Imho. :) Modern games are much too concerned about the loop to allow the player to show much agency.. :)

Reactions: Hanafuda

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont mind staying offline in excahnge for free games, most of my nintendo games have been either single player or couch co op anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER