Are we setting ourselves up for the first Switch banwaves?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by RHOPKINS13, Apr 24, 2018.

1. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I honestly think if the cfw is designed correctly, and we don't install homebrew to the home menu but rather keep it how it currently piggy backs off of albums, then it should be fairly safe if you solely plan to use homebrew, don't cheat online and don't pirate games.

RHOPKINS13 likes this.
  2. Youkosnake

Youkosnake Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2017
    United States
    Clearly you've never worked in construction or have any experience at all in construction or electrical work. They're large shavings, not granular shavings. Literally no effect on your lungs they cling to your clothes, not your body unless you're sweating a ton. It's not really a stretch at all. I shower as soon as I get home everyday and still come across metal shavings ALL THE TIME. It's just the nature of the job.

3. Evictor

Evictor Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2018
    Canada
    This is odd because you don't need the pin grounded after you deliver your payload.

4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    That's actually not even remotely true. Please stop spreading this bull.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I'm not spread any misinformation! Some people did get banned in a wave, because they left the whole sending info back to Nintendo. And then in the log, it showed that they had nono homebrew stuff in their play log.

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Negative, ghost rider. One of my systems (that had that OFF SINCE DAY 1) were banned.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  7. RHOPKINS13
    OP

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Yes, so people using paperclips, RCM Jigs, and other temporary solutions wouldn't be banned, but if they used a more permanent solution, like soldering the pads on the joycon, it could very easily be detected by Nintendo.

8. Opoth

Opoth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2006
    Exactly, it seems that nothing has been learned from the 3DS banwaves. It's why I've bought a 2nd Switch just for emulation/homebrew/Linux that will probably never run official software.

If you care about online play whatsoever, this isn't a path that you want to go down with your console.

9. RHOPKINS13
    OP

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Most of us don't have the money for a second Switch, or even if we did we probably wouldn't bother buying one until the first one got banned. While a lot of people were banned in the 3DS banwaves, the vast majority of users managed to avoid the bans. Nintendo has a history of making bad decisions with not tracking purchases and not tracking private headers the way they should have. Simply put, had Nintendo taken better precautions there would have been a ton more bans and a lot less piracy on 3DS and Wii U.

And I'm sure there are plenty of us who would prefer to take reasonable measures to avoid getting banned, but if given the choice between homebrew/piracy and playing online, would definitely pick the homebrew option. For me the emulation alone is worth it, especially since Nintendo has said they're not releasing Virtual Console for Switch. I'd like to retain the ability to play online if possible, but it's not worth paying for a second Switch, at least for me.

Besides, I have a hunch that Nintendo might be a little more lenient with the piracy bans considering that they'll still make money off of subscription fees.

10. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2011
    United States
    Vekta
    Bans are a normal part of life when it comes to homebrew/piracy. If you can't take the risk of that, then it's probably not for you :P

11. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    I don't want to pay to play online, so I don't risk to be banned. Problem solved

12. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    I never take my paperclip off when i am online is that bad?

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Nope, we're all gonna be banned, you should be 100% ready for that, Microsoft and Sony are relentless with their bans, and I'm pretty certain Nintendo is going to be this time too, especially with how more mainstream will learn how to mod their systems, due to sites like YouTube, used to be you had to explicitly search for hacks, now everyone learns about them.

14. gabru

gabru Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Spain
    Can't wait people to get banned because of playing leaked nswitch Pokémon xD

I got banned for that back in the 3ds...

15. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Online's probably gonna be horrible anyway.

16. windwakemeupinside

windwakemeupinside Resident Gost

Apr 14, 2016
    United States
    Faerun
    Banwaves are to be expected, but I doubt that they'd ban over bent pins. I'd be a pr nightmare, they'd hit too many legit users who might have been too rough with the 'cons. Like little kids and such.

I don't think that the current hacks are that detectable, but honestly any modification = expect a banhammer. Buy a non-hacked switch if you are worried that much about not being able to play online.

17. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    If you link a Nintendo Account to Nintendo Switch you can see the games you used.
    The question is: can Nintendo see our activity and the software we used? I think yes, I think that Nintendo stores these informations on its server to prevent the use of unhautorizated software (= ban)

18. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    And that is how the community can escape the burned in cert ban for game piracy in the form of cdnx, freeshopnx, etc.

Fuck the anti piracy naysayer experts. They will always 'worst case scenario' the data to trend away from easy blatant piracy methods to keep that piracy stain of their work. A work that all piracy eventually sprouts from.

We need to instigate a system of false positives that outways the loss to piracy for their pr system.

Used broken consoles certs extracted and then exploited. Community certs used for sourcing a partial algorithm thats constantly bruteforce pooking the cdn serves, etc.

There are many work arounds that 'those in the know' avoid discussing, due to no wanting their work involved and associated with illegal and negatively frowned practices.

The fact cdn is allowing cdnx to download illegitimate titles is very telling of the current implementation. It has nothing to do with illegal act of entrapment like idiots here associate and speculate with a large bussiness like nintendo, microsoft, etc. It tells us there are holes in the system that any current verification implemention today would cause a pr nightmare of false positive. It is the only reason the system is still wide open despite the nx new security coding.

Remember kids, there is no one here who has not pirated anything. Not a one. It just the level of justification with system/rom eol cycles etc that they like to seperate your theft from their self justified theft, they see as a non theft.

19. windwakemeupinside

windwakemeupinside Resident Gost

Apr 14, 2016
    United States
    Faerun
    ...This thread wasn't even about piracy dude, what the fuck.

20. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Naw, we all gonna get banned, they don't give a shit. And the news headline will be "Nintendo triumphantly destroys pirates", there have been instances of Innocents being banned, no one gives a shit about us, and in a way, if you pirate, we kinda deserve the online ban.

Edit: you guys who care about online, should consider gamefly.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, May 18, 2018
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted