Hacking Are the Haxchi launch modes hard coded to the gamepad?

NoobletCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my 5.5.2 system the "hold a" and "hold b" launch modes only work from the Nintendo gamepad (the one with the screen).

Is it possible to get this functionality working with other controllers, such as the pro controller or the wiimote?

Thanks

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the haxchi button mapping is defined in a config.txt file.
if you want to edit or add more functions to each button, you need to edit the sd:/haxchi/config.txt file, and reinstall (overwrite) your haxchi on your console to copy that txt file over the old one.

unfortunately, what you ask is not possible, it's only working with the WiiU gamepad.

Reactions: NoobletCheese

NoobletCheese

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.

About re-installing Haxchi over the top of itself, that sounds a bit risky - is it? I'd hate to brick my unit just after I've finished modding it :rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and when re-installing Haxchi over the top of itself, should I use Homebrew Launcher from Browserhax or the Haxchi channel?

Because the community noob simply says "follow step 2" which is the Browserhax method.

Which method is less likely to brick?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
haxchi's purpose is to stop using browser hax completely.

Haxchi IS a homebrew enabler and launcher.*
additionally, it also became a firmware's signature patcher, but its first purpose was a way to access homebrew without the need of online connection, because the browserhax is unreliable and freeze too often.

just use your haxchi channel with the corresponding button to launch Homebrew_launcher.elf
once in the homebrew launcher, launch haxchi installer again.

haxchi and cbhc on your console are nothing more than an already replaced file. overwriting it again will only re-replace it.
you use a NDS retail game emulator, which contains a ROM.zip (official NDS game's ROM). When you use haxchi installer or cbhc installer, it replaces that file with haxchi's ROM.zip
if you use haxchi's installer, it also copy the config.txt along the rom.zip file.
if you use cbhc, it edits the boot config .xml file used by the console to auto-launch (coldboot) that haxchi ROM.zip at console boot. (cold boot hax chi = CBHC)

As a homebrew enabler, it's (1) patching some part of the console's memory to allow user level homebrew launching.
Then, it (2) launches the homebrew set in the config.txt (usually homebrew launcher by default).
If you try to re-launch HBL using haxchi's channel default behavior, it will not only tries to launche HBL (step2), but also will re-attempt to do step 1: patching the memory to allow homebrew launching.
Doing step1 again might freeze the console. This was a problem with homebrew browser, and to fix this issue the browserhax did something different :

(1) patch the firmware to allow user level homebrew launcher
(2) patch miimaker channel, to add homebrew launcher.elf into that channel (not replacing it, just adding it FIRST, if you exit hbl it launches miimaker)
(3) launches miimaker channel, which launches HBL.
if you want to launch HBL again, don't do browserhax again (it will freeze at step1! ) but launch MiiMaker channel, which is the one launching HBL.

I'm not sure haxchi has a similar fallback like that to prevent step1 repatching. Some users reported freeze upon relaunching haxchi's hbl forwarder.
I never used it, so I can't confirm myself. I should try one day.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc