Apple's AAA mobile gaming efforts seem to be failing

A clusterfuck of on screen controls

iOS ports of major console games like Resident Evil 4, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, and Death Stranding have seemingly faced lackluster sales as recent sales estimates reveal low figures.

If these figures are accurate, Assassin’s Creed Mirage garnered only around $138,000 from 123,000 downloads, with less than 3,000 users opting to purchase the full game after a free trial. Analysts note that while these are estimates, they reflect a broader trend where mobile gamers may prefer simpler, indie titles that offer unique art styles and gameplay suited to shorter play sessions. Also, keep in mind that the games require the latest iPhone and iPad models, limiting their potential audience.

Sales figure estimates said:
Appfigures estimateAppmagic estimate
Resident Evil 47,00015,000
Resident Evil Village5,75034,000
Assassin's Creed Mirage3,0005,750
Death Stranding10,60023,000

According to the experts, the market segmentation is likely the cause as consumers who can afford premium iOS devices likely also own consoles or high end PCs where these games are traditionally played. This overlap suggests that mobile ports of console games face an uphill battle in attracting gamers who may already be invested in other platforms. Of course, the relatively high prices of these ports, coupled with the different gaming habits on mobile platforms, further complicate their market.

Would you play these kind of AAA titles on mobile over a traditional PC or console experience?

:arrow: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
crapple should stick to what they do best: re-releasing overpriced shit locked phones every 6 months and letting their sheeples buy them and leave the gaming market to more qualified people who actually know what they are doing.

• Haha
Reactions: eternal

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
having to buy the game on a separated mobile store to play on the smartphone without controller and having to worry about battery duration on a daily driver? erm

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, maybe people don't want to play large scale games on a tiny ass screen propped against a box as you sit a couple feet from it. Games designed for the phone from the start that are designed around the screen size and lack of buttons I have no problem with.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i consider apple to be spyware when gaming. sorry but id rather game offline or if im on a device that is online play in an app that isnt sending out tons of data to invade my privacy.

thats what these mobile developers dont want to recognize. some people arent going to adopt these microtransaction ad based games that also mine all your playing data

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Who the heck is playing on the phone?
Even if the device is capable the formfactor is complete garbage. Too small display with absolute trash touch controls.
For those people who say "yeah take a controller". Sure, I'd need first setup a phoneholder then I'd need to hope that the controller is working and not lagging like it makes a connection to China. And THEN I need a powerbrick nearby, so the phone doesnt die because of low battery...
Everything working? Taking now bluetooth headphones because the builtin speakers are trash realizing that the controller stops working.

Yeah that's the gaming experience I need.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tried so hard to enjoy iPhone gaming but just couldn't. Paying for a game, only for it to eventually get pulled from the App Store is bad. Watching games I paid money for slowly lose compatibility with each iOS really made me decide it wasn't worth it. So I bought a Steam Deck instead.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly want them to fail. A little off topic, but I don't understand why Sega had to make two great games (Sonic Dream Team and Puyo Puzzle Pop) exclusive to their service and it sucks to see me as an android user missing out all of the fun.
I don't want them to fail, if they see this other companies might say well I guess people just wanna sit in a chair all day and play games. No I want something to have that option for AAA titles I can go around and play.

If we can execute modern AAA titles on today's smartphones with latest Android/ios that would minimize the need to even need to buy something like a SteamDeck. I prefer pc/consoles but our minds quickly forget smartphones are still basically Sbc with cellular data and has potential on running more powerful apps year by year.

• Sad
Reactions: DragonMals

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
100% of people saw this coming before Apple even put a cent of effort into it.
Post automatically merged:

I don't want them to fail, if they see this other companies might say well I guess people just wanna sit in a chair all day and play games. No I want something to have that option for AAA titles I can go around and play.

If we can execute modern AAA titles on today's smartphones with latest Android/ios that would minimize the need to even need to buy something like a SteamDeck. I prefer pc/consoles but our minds quickly forget smartphones are still basically Sbc with cellular data and has potential on running more powerful apps year by year.
I don't want my phone to also be my go-to gaming device on the go. It's bad enough it pulls double duty as a meme machine and a music player for my FLAC files while I travel...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll never ever EVER understand why would anyone bother to play a full ass console game on a tiny phone...
People use handhelds such as the Switch, Steam Deck, and the likes so it's normal to use a 5" or bigger screen for portable gaming.

But it's missing one important part: The controller attachment which not everyone has as they don't want or can't be bothered to.

Reactions: tech3475

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Does Sonic do breakfast? Wendys breakfast is pretty good.