Apple must publish notice that Samsung didn’t copy iPad (UK)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jul 20, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

A judge ordered Apple to publish a notice on their site stating that Samsung didn’t copy designs for the iPad. The notice is supposed to outline the recent court decisions that said that Samsung's Galaxy tablets did not infringe the iPad's design. A lawyer for Cupertino, California-based Apple said to the court, "No company likes to refer to a rival on its website."

http://www.bloomberg...judge-says.html

LMFAO!

19 people like this.

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    that's just fucking gold!
    [​IMG]

18 people like this.
  3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Priceless. I would love to see a new thread made showing when this is done. Just you wait and see though, Apple will find a loop hole or put it somewhere so obscure on their site.

4. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    [​IMG]

It had to be done.

3 people like this.
  5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    ITT: Apple haters

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Please people, when (if) the notice is up, make a screenshot. We must have evidence of this glorious moment and share it for safekeeping, for the future generations. :P

EDIT: Oh, raulpica, you and your shadow-edits! Your previous post was so much better. :lol:

4 people like this.
  7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Amazing.

Maybe if this is the kind of punishment doled out (the courts make sure it's prominent and not obscure), we'll see less companies pulling this shit.

6 people like this.
  8. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Oh please, this is just people being glad to finally see justice done to apple who seemed to let all the power go to their head.

4 people like this.
  9. raulpica

Italy
    Okay, lemme make this example. You create a new revolutionary product. You start making heaps of money.

Then, someone who has never ever cared of the field in which your invention is, starts making a clone. Which could even be called a rip-off by someone, so much similiar that thing is.

Would you sit there, looking at those people stealing your profits? No, you wouldn't.

Would you sue their asses, and demand them to stop? Yes, you would.

But hey, everyone thinks Apple has way too much money - but let me tell you something, for a company (and investors) money isn't EVER enough. They aren't a small indie developer, they're a multinational. They NEED more money.

Somehow, the general Apple hate makes everyone forget that they need to protect their IPs, too.

10. Bladexdsl

Australia
    but Samsung didn't steal anything the courts proved it :creep:

5 people like this.
  11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Okay, if that's the case, we should only have one brand of a personal computer, one brand of a phone and... well, one brand of each and every product on the planet "because someone was first". There are some things that are patentable, for example complete devices with very specified specs, that cannot be copied and are protected by law... and there are concepts. A tablet is a concept - is a form-factor, an idea of a flat, portable computer. You can't protect that, it's like protecting a colour.

As long as the specs and the technology used vary and the physical appereance is disinguishable upon examination, we cannot talk about a rip-off in this case. The idea of a "tablet" has been around for ages, think back to early science fiction. Hell, think back to Space Odyssey - they're wielding iPad's right there! ;)

Besides... Tablet PC? *cough cough*

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  12. raulpica

Italy
    [​IMG]

Please. Look at the screen borders. The general size. The screen border colour. The screen border made of glass.

And theeeen.... THIS
    [​IMG]

You're missing the point. The iPad is different from a tablet PC. Look above.

13. Bladexdsl

Australia
    appl$ also did NOT invent the tablet they have been out WAY before their ipads. google motion computing.

2 people like this.
  14. Rydian

United States
    One word; cars.

I mean what with the wheels all being round and the door handles all being the same shape and the windshields and most having four doors and a stereo in the same place and blah blah blah...

Tablets are products that should fall under the same rules as the majority of other products. Apple and other companies, however, like to pretend they don't (same goes for phones). This is a dose of reality to Apple, which is welcome.

10 people like this.
  15. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Except the iPad wasn't revolutionary, and not to mention, Samsung has always been in that field.

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    You are missing my point. We're talking about a given form-factor. I see distinguishable features between the two, and if a glass border of the screen and a wide plug are all you're going by in your argument, you may already ask the inventor of the TV Remote to sue Nintendo and Sony for stealing his idea of "a pole with buttons that you point at stuff with".

The technology is vastly different, and while I agree that the exterior may be similar, it is not the same. For the untrained eye, 80% of cars look exactly the same - it's stuff on 4 wheels that moves after all, but you don't see any lawsuits because of it.

I can see your point and I am sure that the iPad's success inspired Samsung engineers to make the devices look the way they look and perhaps it was a bad move, but I'm far from calling it a rip-off, moreso a trend in design.

Blasted Rydian comes in and steals my argument while I'm still typing! *shakes fist* :lol:

2 people like this.
  17. raulpica

Italy
    Cars have a lot more things on which they can vary - headlights, interns, bumpers. A different engine. It's really difficult to make a 1:1 copy of a car. OR even a 60% copy.

It's just a lot less definite field.

EDIT: Screw it, you Apple nay-sayers will just continue this for AGES. I'll let you guys think what you want while I'll enjoy my Android tablet B-)

1 person likes this.
  18. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    So a tablet connector used by pretty much every company due to its slim design and uh...a USB cable?

19. raulpica

Italy
    I'll just reply to this one. Every single tablet out there uses mini-B USB or micro-B USB. Why create a form factor SO similiar to Apple?

Heh, coincidences! :toot:

20. Rydian

United States
    And there's things that vary on these tablets, too. The volume controls, headphone jack (location, whether it exists, which size jack, etc.), MicroSD slot or not, HDMI or not...

But this case isn't about the internals (which vary widely between Apple tablets and non-apple tablets anyways).

Apple's logic is stupid, even the courts recognize it and are punishing Apple for such a frivolous suit (which is the point of this thread).

1 person likes this.