Samsung overtake Apple as #1 smartphone seller

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the grey masses honestly believed that an iPod and an "MP3 Player" are two completely different things.
To my knowledge, they still do.
To a certain degree, they are.

The iPods play video. MP3 players are usually just songs.

But yeah, I think they are mostly the same thing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the grey masses honestly believed that an iPod and an "MP3 Player" are two completely different things.

Way to grab someone's tongue. In the past, the very beginning of iPods and MP3 Players, iPods had no video playback. If you really want to be so specific then I'll just say MP4 Player or Portable Media Player to be even more vague, you should still grasp the main idea.

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia

To build on what Foxi said, let's put it this way: my Sansa Fuze v1 plays any kind of music format and a couple of video formats. An iPod Whatever plays music formats including MP3 and a couple of video formats. They're both MP3 players, because - no shit - they play MP3 files. There is no difference.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To me, being a good development house, and Apple certainly is one, is one thing. Having a clearly decieving marketing scheme hovewer is a bit of a dirty conduct. Let's face it, 85% if not more of the population is not technologically inclined, at least not past the "I can use Word and the Internet" level. Those people will believe anything commercials tell them, hence the popular belief that Mac's don't crash because they "don't have a Blue Screen of Death". It's like saying that carriages can't become immobile because they don't have tires, hence they can't catch a flat one. Fair enough, but they're on bloody wooden wheels.

Yet another thing is one of Jobs's comments on Android in general, he "wanted to destroy it because it's based off stolen technology". Way to overlook himself - both systems have their roots in UNIX, just in different branches. In a sense, Apple's systems have the same fault - they're based of opensource systems, yet they're being sold.

Reactions: 3 people

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this is a no brainer... look at the previous quarter. people were waiting for the "next gen iPhone" people thought it was iPhone 5, turned out to be 4s. you watch next quarters numbers, apple will be smoking samsung again...i have a samsung printer connected to my mac pro tower right now and THEY get along just fine... the figureheads at each office should take a lesson from my printer and tower.

that lesson is we don't step on each others toes if we intend to coexist. a lesson which NEITHER company can get through the thick skulls of their R&D department employees.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering the iPhone's partly made by Samsung, I don't see the fuss :mellow:
APPLE doesn't make the iPhone itself. It neither manufactures the components nor assembles them into a finished product. The components come from a variety of suppliers and the assembly is done by Foxconn, a Taiwanese firm, at its plant in Shenzhen, China. The “teardown” graphic below, based on data from iSuppli, a market-research firm, shows who makes what inside the iPhone, and how much the various bits cost. Samsung turns out to be a particularly important supplier. It provides some of the phone's most important components: the flash memory that holds the phone's apps, music and operating software; the working memory, or DRAM; and the applications processor that makes the whole thing work. Together these account for 26% of the component cost of an iPhone.
201108200_WOD010_0.png

Source

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As slow as Samsung is at updates for my phone..... :angry:

I can't fault them at hardware design. The build quality is astounding, and this thing could take a beating. For reference, here is a drop test between the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy S II (I don't have).

[yt]elKxgsrJFhw[/yt]

P.S. These drop tests always make me clutch my device in horror. D:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: