Apple must publish notice that Samsung didn’t copy iPad (UK)

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 10,311
  • Replies 98
  • Likes 19

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This ruling is freakin' hilarious BUT I think it should never have been made. I hate the constant Patent Wars being waged in the mobile computing field as much as any other but this ruling makes no sense and has no precedent. To my knowledge no other company has had to make public statements renouncing what they have said before. Why? Because losing the lawsuit should be enough. Apple don't run public slander campaigns against Samsung and others pointing out that they're stolen products the only people who see these crazy statements Apple have been making are watching tech sites and have seen that they lost the case. These public statements are going to hurt the company's other lawsuits all over the world. This is doing way too much harm to Apple as a company to be allowed to go through.

As for the copying: The front of tablets all look the same, yes. Why? All screens have some sort of bezel on them to hide wires. When you have a touchscreen device it looks a lot cleaner to have this bezel covered by the same glass. This is simply a design trend, not something that Apple can patent or say is directly copied. The back of the device looks different enough to me. As for the dock connector. I agree, its very similar to Apple's and possibly the most blatent act of copying in this suit but its not enough to cause irreparable damage to Apple's market share.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have Apple and Android tech in my house, so I am not biased in any way.

Just facts here but Apple have not created anything, they themselves take existing tech and "Applize" it, they didnt invent the tablet, they didnt invent the cable look that everyone keeps reffering to, thats the same look as the cable on my old pocket PC, they didnt invent the mp3 player and they certainly didnt invent the swipe to unlock.

What I hate is that the main line they use is that they are "protecting their own intellectual property", they didnt invent it, so they shouldn't own it. The fact now is they are all getting as bad as each other.You cant copyright a look and feel if you didnt invent it. Its a touch screen with icons on it. Go to an android device its home screen has widgets, they never use that type image in court, probably because it would look silly when Apples legal team stretch the image.

Personally I hope this will be a kick up the ass for all of them, its been a long time coming.

Facts
First mp3 player - http://en.wikipedia....le_media_player
First Swipe to unlock on a phone Neonode M1N -

Tablet Compting - http://en.wikipedia....Tablet_computer

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I may have got the specifics wrong, but charging and docking are the reasons behind 40/30 pin connectors.
Not to try and look like apple. And seriously, if your resorting to using the appearance of a charging connector as a case of cloning, then you really need to stop and think about just how pedantic you're been.
Now now... The Apple 30-pin connector makes sense as it has a plethora of connections in it: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

That said, what use does have an Android tablet for an hefty FORTY pin connector?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62103014/Photos/Asus%20Transformer/Pinout%20Pic.jpg

Only 18 pins used on 40. Nice. Of which most of the pins are just redundant. Something draining 2A max doesn't really need 5 GND wires.

I'll say it again - there was simply no need for a 40 pin connector on an Android tablet. It was just a stylistical thing. They just wanted to be one of the cool kids having a 20+ pin slim connector.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have Apple and Android tech in my house, so I am not biased in any way.

Just facts here but Apple have not created anything, they themselves take existing tech and "Applize" it,

but this "Applelizing" to them is worth protecting and it is what samsung is copying and yes you can't really patent it that's why they attack on the things they can no matter how petty. apple spends a ton of money on design (steve payed the logo designer for next 100,000 dollars), i know because i worked for them and it is really shitty for other companies to just take the look of something else. and the simply apple design takes a lot more work than you think. i know because i have worked on apple store designs. the attention to detail is excruciating and most clients would just say "well can't we just caulk that seam? use plexy instead of glass? do we really need this glass to be edgeless? this frame looks nice and it's cheap!"

it is extremely hard to do clean simple design and the initial costs of fabricating products like that is risky and no company would do it if apple didn't try it and succeeded first. samsung makes components for apple, like the screens, so once they made it for apple it is extremely easy for them to replicate the results for their own devices.

and yes all the materials and technologies are out there. Good Design is not about inventing completely new products, it's about gathering and editing and putting everything that is available together just right and that includes leaving out features that may be important to some out of the picture.

i have consulted for compaq and another company i'm not mentioning because i still do work for them and they literally say "can you make it more Apple-like?" but in the end they aren't willing to pony up the money to make things as nice.

edit: and when i say it's hard to do clean simple design, i don't meant "visualize" it. that's extremely easy to do. anyone with half a brain can dream up beautiful simple displays with no bevels and the perfect thinness. Design is in how to build it for real

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You cant Applize a technology and call it yours. They Patented swipe to unlock, which they copied and didnt invent or have the original idea for, then sued people for using it. You cant do that without causing hostility. If you use Andoid and Apple product you can easily see they cant be confused. Apple didnt invent the icon look and feel anyway, its been around for years before they had even the ipod touch. When they invent something unique (which I doubt will ever happen) then they have to rights to go after people who copy it, they blatently use other peoples ideas and claim it as their own, that is the only thing I dislike about Apple, its not their products, its not the cost of them, its their attitude

This is a good article on the subject -

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/02/if-android-is-a-stolen-product-then-so-was-the-iphone/

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I may have got the specifics wrong, but charging and docking are the reasons behind 40/30 pin connectors.
Not to try and look like apple. And seriously, if your resorting to using the appearance of a charging connector as a case of cloning, then you really need to stop and think about just how pedantic you're been.
Now now... The Apple 30-pin connector makes sense as it has a plethora of connections in it: http://pinouts.ru/Po...od_pinout.shtml

That said, what use does have an Android tablet for an hefty FORTY pin connector?

http://dl.dropbox.co...inout%20Pic.jpg

Only 18 pins used on 40. Nice. Of which most of the pins are just redundant. Something draining 2A max doesn't really need 5 GND wires.

I'll say it again - there was simply no need for a 40 pin connector on an Android tablet. It was just a stylistical thing. They just wanted to be one of the cool kids having a 20+ pin slim connector.
Those 18 pins are for the standard USB cable. The laptop dock and other docks make use of the other pins.
They're not redundant. Just not used in the data cable.

It's a ridiculously absurd suggestion that an OEM would use a dock connector just to look like Apple. It's required. Sure, they might use a few less pins than the have available, but mobile OEMs are not like Nintendo, inventing new connector every five minutes. Making a standard that can last several generations is general practise.

Not even china rip off the Apple cable in their tabs. (At least, not what I've seen, and I've had used about 20 different Chinese tablets in the past year)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well my Transformer Prime uses it to connect to the dock, which has a built-in keyboard, USB port, full-size SD card slot (in addition to the MicroSD on the side of the tablet itself), and a second battery in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Transformer-Prime-Mobile-Docking/dp/B00685ZDB2

Reactions: 1 person

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And theeeen.... THIS
apple-iphone-usb-cable-2007-vs-samsung-galaxy-tab-usb-cable-2010.jpg
So a tablet connector used by pretty much every company due to its slim design and uh...a USB cable?
I'll just reply to this one. Every single tablet out there uses mini-B USB or micro-B USB. Why create a form factor SO similiar to Apple?

Heh, coincidences! :toot:
30-Pin connectors are required as tablets take a higher charging voltage than phones. If you want unified charging and data on a tablet, the use of 30-pin connectors is mandatory.
I think my brain imploded a bit reading that...

Also the form factor looks the same purely because these tablets are so thin. Spreading out the pins into a thin row along one side allows them to make thin tablets. It is a physical need that they look this way.
My Kindle is thinner than any tablet Samsung or Apple has and uses a MicroUSB. I also have an Apple 30-pin next to me, and its not thinner than a MicroUSB cable.

since when can you compare a kindle to an ipad? Think of the difference in power. thats why kindle can use usb.
lol

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well my Transformer Prime uses it to connect to the dock, which has a built-in keyboard, USB port, full-size SD card slot (in addition to the MicroSD on the side of the tablet itself), and a second battery in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Transformer-Prime-Mobile-Docking/dp/B00685ZDB2
Looking good. I remember searching for the dock pinout, but it looks like I just got the data cable :P

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
You cant blame Samsung for making a better product. The Galaxy s III looks 100 times better than the Iphone 4s.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You cant blame Samsung for making a better product. The Galaxy s III looks 100 times better than the Iphone 4s.
That's your opinion. In other people's opinions, iPhone 4S looks far better (including mine). [However, I wouldn't use the iPhone because I dislike iOS and much, much prefer Android].

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Now now... The Apple 30-pin connector makes sense as it has a plethora of connections in it: http://pinouts.ru/Po...od_pinout.shtml

http://dl.dropbox.co...inout%20Pic.jpg

Those 18 pins are for the standard USB cable. The laptop dock and other docks make use of the other pins.
They're not redundant. Just not used in the data cable.

Dude. what's happening here is you're making absurd claims, raulpica is then going away and doing his research to prove you wrong, and then you're just skipping the research step and going straight ahead and making even more absurd claims - making yourself look very silly in the process. Think before you post, really!

Excelsiior

Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
And theeeen.... THIS
So a tablet connector used by pretty much every company due to its slim design and uh...a USB cable?
I'll just reply to this one. Every single tablet out there uses mini-B USB or micro-B USB. Why create a form factor SO similiar to Apple?

Heh, coincidences!

No, samsung is using this format for ages for its portable media players. Even before IPad existed - just have a look at samsung t10 or r1 if you want some newer device.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And theeeen.... THIS

Heh, coincidences!

No, samsung is using this format for ages for its portable media players. Even before IPad existed - just have a look at samsung t10 or r1 if you want some newer device.
Kinda different, doncha think?
P01086_1_image.jpg

(and guys, this is how you do a cable without making it look Apple-style)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And theeeen.... THIS

Heh, coincidences!

Kinda different, doncha think?
P01086_1_image.jpg

(and guys, this is how you do a cable without making it look Apple-style)
That's also how you make a connector obscenely large.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. That plastic looks REALLY sexy, man. It feels so elegant and nice in the hand like it's made from quality material.

iSheep say Bahaha.

Plastic Back -> Interchangeable Battery
Plastic Back -> Ability To Change Sim WIthout ToothPick
Plastic Back -> An External SD Card
Plastic Back -> No "Can you hear me?"
Plastic Back -> NFC

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah. That plastic looks REALLY sexy, man. It feels so elegant and nice in the hand like it's made from quality material.

iSheep say Bahaha.

Plastic Back -> NFC
iSheep? I use a Galaxy Nexus :P But I can admire when a phone honestly looks and feel like a well built device.

-The battery, while it's not a simple drop-in replacement, still looks pretty easy to replace (on the iPhone 4/4S)
-Changing the SIM without a toothpick/paper clip/SIM ejector tool/etc.: Not everyone travels frequently, and you can't even use SIM cards with CDMA-only phones.
- External SD Card: Not all Samsung phones have that
-NFC: (Personally, I'm not a fan of NFC to begin with, so I have a biased view) It's no more convenient than credit cards (well, you may/may not have to sign), and it's mostly just an excuse to flash your smartphone to potential thieves (not that flashing a credit card isn't subject to the same problem)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

iSheep say Bahaha.

Plastic Back -> NFC
iSheep? I use a Galaxy Nexus :P But I can admire when a phone honestly looks and feel like a well built device.

-The battery, while it's not a simple drop-in replacement, still looks pretty easy to replace (on the iPhone 4/4S)
-Changing the SIM without a toothpick/paper clip/SIM ejector tool/etc.: Not everyone travels frequently, and you can't even use SIM cards with CDMA-only phones.
- External SD Card: Not all Samsung phones have that
-NFC: (Personally, I'm not a fan of NFC to begin with, so I have a biased view) It's no more convenient than credit cards (well, you may/may not have to sign), and it's mostly just an excuse to flash your smartphone to potential thieves (not that flashing a credit card isn't subject to the same problem)

I'm going to forego my typical flamage in apple threads, and instead say that I dislike iPhones simply because of their small size and the fact that iOS is limited in what you can do as it is more closed of an operating system than Android. Also, the iOS interface makes no sense to me.

you guys are still raving on about the god damn plugs?!?! :rofl2:

PLUGS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS MAN. BACK OFF. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.