Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Another person that knows what they're talking about. You honestly think I give a shit about playing the terabyte or so of games I'm archiving? It has nothing to do with that. Data preservation is a hobby of mine, especially when it comes to things I'm passionate about. I also have a gigantic archive of malware. You think I'm interested in even using any of it? Fuck no. If it's rare and has the possibility of being removed from history then I want it preserved.
Same here. I've been cataloging roms for as long as I can remember. It started off as piracy, but over time became a hobby of collecting and sorting games. Also, as you said, its not like anyone that does that is seriously planning on playing the gigs upon gigs of roms and iso's.

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo IP roms have been getting removed from weak websites for a long time now. If that's your main source, ya might wanna reconsider your sources. There is -zero- danger here of losing access to Nintendo IP roms on the internet. No personal backup dumps needed. Everything is fine, folks. Don't give this clickbait video a view, please.

D

Deleted User

Well well well.

It would seem you lot might appreciate the assistance of someone with the tools to rip a GB and GBA ROM archive.

And I might appreciate some cart donations and a Nintendo Switch.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There will always be torrents of rompacks. As long as the aren't zipped in one file, you can unckeck the games you don't wanna download.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, it's not. Just compare Monster Hunter sales, some games just sell way better in Japan and only because some people and weebs want game X, doesn't mean it would sell well.
It's their money and their games. Not sure how you can compare that to piracy-entitlement.
I'm not talking about recent games.

The only reason it's acceptable to have monopolies on ideas and creations is to promote the progress of arts and sciences, on which copyright of old stuff does fuck all. It's just another fuck up of the commons by capitalism.

The Stormcloak Lion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And then people like you forget the overzealous Nintendo haters who's go constantly spouting crap about Nintendo for no other reason than they hate Nintendo, you have a go at Nintendo fans but forget the haters seems fair right? NOT
There are way more anti-Nintendo zealots than the type of fans you're complaining about.

My view of Nintendo not so much hate. It's ambivalent, at best, in recent years. Although, with their age-old business practices, they are making me lean slowly towards hate.

Nintendo has games (pre-Wii first-party) and franchises every other company would kill for, and, I have enjoyed every one of their home consoles up to the Cube.

I may agree with you to a certain extent about there being more Nintendo haters than fans, but, then again, because of the Nintendo fanboy thought police, legitimate praise for the company and the blind fervor of these overly vocal Nintendo fanboys are slowly becoming less discrete from each other.

Rome is burning and you have the higher ups acting almost like Nero playing his flute.

Kind of off the subject, but, it is these same fanboys who threatened Jimquisition on YouTube just because he gave Breath of the Wild a 7/10. Does this blind fervor for any company need to go this far?

Overwhelming majority of Nintendo fans are as concerned as you and I about the company's gaming future, but, unless Nintendo starts to adopt smarter business practices, they may as well fall like the Roman Empire, in the long-term.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda freaked out over this... I used to keep up quite a collection of fullrom sets, and then I figured why bother? I could simply go to the Paradise site and download whatever ROM I wanted to play whenever I wanted to. Why keep around hundreds of extra ROMs that I'd probably never even bother to open? I just figured the Paradise site (along with other common ones) would always be there for any ROMs I could ever want, just download as I want to play them.

This just feels like a big blow from Nintendo... maybe in the 90s it was all about piracy, but I really feel like retro emulation is more about archiving great games from the past. Why would Nintendo want to hurt a community dedicated to preserving their legacy?

I guess we've seen moves likes this from Nintendo before, against fan-made games and videos. I guess this is what happens when they realize that they take too long to develop new games, and have to make up for it by reselling old ones.

Dragoonhurdur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does this affect the everdrive rom sets on epforums? Those are hosted on mega or similar.

I couldn't find mega man 5 yesterday on ep (regular) for the purpose of applying a recent hack.

The issue is that ninty does lose revenue from the major franchises from illegal rom sharing, as you can purchase vc versions of most of them.
But there are hundreds of excellent titles across they're older platforms which will never see a re-release, proper translation, or any bug fixes.
There's no revenue loss issue, and a genuine risk of loss of cultural works.

Look at what Lucas has tried to do with the original theatrical releases of ep 4-6. There's still, as far as I am aware, no legitimate way of obtaining a digital copy of the untouched '77 release of A New Hope.

See: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Ha...r-Wars-1977-Color-Adjustment-Project/id/48257

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Look at what Lucas has tried to do with the original theatrical releases of ep 4-6. There's still, as far as I am aware, no legitimate way of obtaining a digital copy of the untouched '77 release of A New Hope.

See: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Ha...r-Wars-1977-Color-Adjustment-Project/id/48257
I didnt want to bring this up, but that's what will end up happening if Nintendo keeps doing their 80s-90s mentality of reigning over the market and everything with their name on it.

The ROMs being released on the VC are not the original ROMs, they are modified to a certain extent.
I know first hand, since me and other romhackers have dissected several dumped ROMs from both Wii U and 3DS' VC for research purposes.

Quick example, ALttP has changes in palettes and lightinig (not related to the gamma filter the VC has by default), EB has text and color changes as well in the VC and Mother 3 has different palettes and even some graphics are different.

What's next?
Nintendo could very well keep modifying the ROMs in the VC and that will be the only option we'll have if they keep shutting off romsites.

We will have no way to play the original ROMs from back in the day in the worst case scenario.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's they're IP's, whether we like it or not (I certainly don't) there is not much we can really do.

Mitch__

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintedo is apparently removing games off of ROM websites as well as the freeshop.

Title of Vid :NINTENDO DMCAing EVERY MAINSTREAM Title from ROM Websites & MH: XX Dissapears
Video: (not mine)

-a rom site- doesnt have Nintendo games to download:
https://gyazo.com/0f22d0a35998bc5af079b916be803a18

EDIT:
FROM Ziggyhacks
Everyone:
To be clear, Nintendo hasn't removed any games from their servers. This means that FreeShop is still available for every game previously listed unless the FreeShop owners removed a game. Let's not chastise the owner for his small mistake, and keep in mind that he also preemptively apologized.

Lil' bit too late for this on Nintendo's part.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The information in OP is just plain wrong.
This whole thread is pointless.

Nintendo has always targeted rom sites. Also, Monster Hunter XX is available on freeshop.
You should all stop bumping this pointless thread.

Last edited by AlexanderLS,
Reactions: xelrix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps