Apollo Justice Review

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by warmijwilfaain, Jan 31, 2008.

Jan 31, 2008

Apollo Justice Review by warmijwilfaain at 5:59 PM (1,497 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. warmijwilfaain
    OP

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
  2. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
    For all you lazy people who don't like to click on links:

System: Nintendo DS
    Reviewer: James Forward
    The Ace Attorney series has never failed to impress me. From the word go (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) to the third, recently released in America as Trials and Tribulations, I was hooked on each and every case from the ‘First Turnabout’ to the ‘Last Turnabout’. With the shocking news that Phoenix was not to be the main protagonist in the latest sequel, I didn’t know what to expect; was the new character going to have the same humour and wit? Was it going to retain the same playstyle? And more importantly was it going to be even a good game or just a collector’s piece…

And I knew my answer as soon as I played the first part of the first case. It is as brilliant as the first three, and retains the same style of humour. The thing which stood out the most was the re-done graphics and sprites for this game. The style is wonderful - the characters look, comparatively speaking, way more detailed.

The music sounds better than the first three too. Ok, maybe the other three had better jingles, but the quality overall has been raised a bar. I felt so nostalgic as I first heard, during the first trial; Hobo-Phoenix shout out “Objection!” and the original “Objection 2001? music but in much better quality. For those who didn’t know, Phoenix is back but not as the main protagonist for any of you die-hard fangirls/boys [​IMG]

Of course, in the Cross Examination; the trial parts of the game, you maintain your two normal ways of getting information out of the witnesses, press and present. Press means that you learn more information about that part of their testimony you’ve just heard - being a very useful way to ’slip someone up’ on their testimony. Present is to show evidence which shows contradicitions within the testimony and to reveal to the court why there is a contradiction.

Now however, there is a third option that you get during the first trial; the ‘perceive’ system - where Apollo uses his braceletto study people’s actions whilst they give their testimony, then you show to the court that they are lying by shouting “Gotcha!”

As with any other Phoenix Wright game, there exists an investigation section as well as a courtroom section. This is used to get information out of people about their past, relationships with the victim or your client, or other people, and then you piece together the clues to discover the truth.

Overall, yes, this game is as good as the other 3. Don’t let the fact Phoenix Wright isn’t the main attorney put you off - Apollo makes a brilliant new Ace Attorney, and a nice change to the series!

Overall: 92%

3. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Sinkhead Edit: Massive quote removed

Can you play without stylus?

Nice review though.

4. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    This is the game I'm most excited about after Brawl!
    Shame it's still a few weeks away... [​IMG]

5. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, you can play without a stylus. It incorporates the same gameplay as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. (Especially Rise from the Ashes)

6. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Don't both finger-printing and luminol-spraying puzzle both use stylus there?

7. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh yeah... lol

But during the main bits of the game, such as during court, normal talking to people that can use buttons as well. But yeah, you have to use the stylus at them points [​IMG]
    And there's a lot more than what was in Rise from the Ashes [​IMG]

8. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    I don't think this review did a very good job... It didn't list any of the faults or issues of the game. And if it didn't have any, why wouldn't it get 100%?

9. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, I dunno, I didn't write it!
    *cough*
    Ahem...

10. scoozer

Member scoozer GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Thank you, but in my honest opinion this is a amateur Review. It contains spoilers so some people can go angry if they read things like this.

11. Azn_Tomato

Newcomer Azn_Tomato Member

United States
    What spoilers?

12. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    yay, i heard ppl were sayin how this had gotten bad reviews, this changes that =) i ♥ AA series

13. Torte

Member Torte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Yep, an amateur review. It's template could nearly be applied to any in the series.

14. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Not far actually comes out on the 12th of February only 11 days away [​IMG].

The review is very average although I can't say much, reminds of a early Twilight Princess review which left you wondering if they had actually played it or not.

15. matrixteapot

Newcomer matrixteapot Newbie

United Kingdom
    Erm, that's the 19th.
    And to whoever said there were spoilers, I didn't seem to find any major spoilers in the review [​IMG]